RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jhump

Sep 9, 2003, 12:34 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Wiregates lighter than 36g
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two new wiregates are coming out soon. Alpinists feast your eyes on...

Wildcountry Helium 33g. A toothless design w/10kn gate open strength.

Trango Superfly. The Trango website reports a weight less than 30g. A 25 crab rack of these guys saves 5.29 oz over Neutrinos.

alpiner

Sep 9, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wiregates lighter than 36g [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah but...the WC looks like an ice magnet and the Trango is definitely on the small-end of full size. Neither would be my first choice for handling with gloves. But sport weenies will dig'em ;-)

jhump

Sep 9, 2003, 2:30 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Small crabs can pose problems with gloves, but I got used to that with neutrinos. I think these biners are at least that big or bigger. Ice Magnet? Are you talking about the notch where the gate snaps into? I dont see how this is more of an issue than with regular notched biners. I have not seen these biners though. You could be right. Have you seen/used them. Or they could prove to be the best biners ever, lightening racks everywhere. Only time will tell.

punk

Sep 9, 2003, 3:19 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest concern with the new fad of lighter biners is
How big they are to function with gloves (nutrino SUCKS in this respect)
How big is the rope radius (some researches show MUCH higher rope failure ratio using small radius biners)
If all good I’m in

jimdavis

Sep 19, 2003, 1:25 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys are better off taking dookies before you start climbing than spending more money on tiny A$$ biners to save 5oz.

Oh, you guys could climb naked to save the weight of your clothes too. Hilary climber Everest in wool and cotton, and people did El Cap in a day with racks full of 65g ovals.

There is a point where light enough is just that.

crotch

Sep 19, 2003, 1:31 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You guys are better off taking dookies before you start climbing than spending more money on tiny A$$ biners to save 5oz.

Oh, you guys could climb naked to save the weight of your clothes too. Hilary climber Everest in wool and cotton, and people did El Cap in a day with racks full of 65g ovals.

There is a point where light enough is just that.

You are full of excrement. Next time you pack your bag for an expedition to a place with no porters, you are welcome to as many of my 65g ovals as you like.

coconutz

Sep 19, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Syperfly's are right at 30 grams or like 29.75 or something. All I know is that a draw with two superflys is as light or a wee bight lighter than a standard oval :shock: . That is light! I actually saw a couple yesterday. They are a little bit bigger than the Neutrino and not quite as big as a Hotwire. They are very slick because of the hotforging process so there are little ripple/ridges on the spine to help with grip. As for the rope bering radius, punk is right, smaller is bad. However, the superflys have the same rope bering radius as the exsisting classic wire gate from them or the standard classic. I think they are the same except for the gates, (little help?). Anyway, they are a full service, almost full size biner. They are avaliable from Trango on Oct 15th, retail price is $7.50 and you can get a package of 5 draws (ten biners and 5 4-inch draws) for, if I recall, like $79.00 maybe a little less maybe a little more, can't remember :roll: .
as for the WC biner I haven't even seen a picture of it so I can't comment

jimdavis

Sep 19, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My point is there is already quite a few lightweight biners out there. The Doval, the Trango wiregates, the BD neutrino, are all LIGHT biners.

Shaving 6 grams off of a biner, and paying more for it, and sacrificing versitility to do so, seems overboard.

I mean, how many of you guys bring nalgene water bottles with you? How heavy are those compaired to a normal water bottle?

There are better ways to cut down on weight than shaving 6 grams off of a biner. That's my point.

I'm all for lightweight biners. All but 2 of my non-lockers are wiregates. I have Trango wiregates, Dovals, and Hotwires; which i love being lightweight.

But shaving a little more off just seems overboard.

jhump

Sep 19, 2003, 3:52 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gatorade 1L bottle= 57g
Nalgene Lexan 1L bottle= 149g

Good tip. Yes I carry Gatorade bottles, or better yet 37g Platypus 2L Big Zips. I have also had luck carrying white gas in Gatorade bottles, then refilling an 11oz aluminum MSR bottle at the start of each day. That saves on carrying multiple 32oz aluminum bottles on long trips. Be careful with that one.

With such attention to weight savings, why would I not consider what goes on the rack. I was not in a hurry to rush out and buy Neutrinos. I bought a few but I knew if I waited, there would be a better offering soon. That day is now. By the way, mountaingear is selling the Trango LW Wire Quickdraw (35-36g per biner) for 9.80 or 8.90 if you buy 10 or more.

crotch

Sep 19, 2003, 5:02 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are better ways to cut down on weight than shaving 6 grams off of a biner. That's my point.

In reply to:
But shaving a little more off just seems overboard.

Yeah, but if you've already weighed every item in your pack and taken the lightest you could afford, why not cut out weight on the rack too? Ounces lead to pounds. That is fact. Every gram does count when you have to carry it for several weeks, biners included. Saving 1 pound on lightweight biners means you can bring nearly a days worth of extra food and stay out longer.

jimdavis

Sep 22, 2003, 1:37 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your trying to save pounds by shavings 3g's off a biner, just a guestimate, but your talking over 100 biners to save 1lb.

And if you are bringing 100 biners on your alpine trek where weight is of the upmost importance, i'd say you need to rethink your plan.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook