RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

goopermc

Feb 4, 2002, 11:35 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Crash Pad Sizes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been looking into buying a crash pad and I have been wondering what size to buy. Everyone that I have seen bouldering seems to be using the same size.

What is that standard size? Furthermore is that the correct size to buy or should I just try and find the smallest cheapest pad I can find? Also what thickness should I look for?

maculated

Feb 8, 2002, 10:07 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Crash Pad Sizes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be interested to know, as well.

tangboy

Feb 8, 2002, 10:15 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the average i see is usually 3X4... thats what mine is. sometimes i see 4X5. hope that helps.
tang

wigglestick

Feb 8, 2002, 10:18 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is just my opinion but I think you should get the biggest fattest one that you would want to carry to your local bouldering area. If you go bouldering in remote areas where you have to hike through a narrow slot canyon to get there you might want one of the smaller pads but if you boulder at areas that are 100 yards from the road then you should get a big ass one. I have a cordless d-luxe which is about 4'X3.5' and 3 inches thick. That is the most popular size. There are smaller ones and there are bigger ones like the cordless evil pad. All I know is that I have never wished I had a smaller pad only wished I had a bigger one.

You should also make sure that the one you want fits in your car. Seriously, I have seen people return pads because they couldn't get it to fit in their honda.

Quick tip- The cordless pad makes a better bed if you either sleep on the side with the straps or switch the foam around so the softer stuff is on top. After sleeping on mine for 3 months I know.

[ This Message was edited by: wigglestick on 2002-02-08 10:49 ]

aulwes

Feb 8, 2002, 10:22 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my Metolius Large crash pad, its 36" x 48" x 3". It's a good size for me.

dontneedfeet

Feb 8, 2002, 10:35 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I pretty much agree with wigglestick... If you're not going hiking for awhile, get a big one. I've got a Metolius XXL, which is 4 x 6. When you're walking a long ways, it sucks, but you unroll the thing and heads turn. Everyone wants to use it 'just to be sure' they don't break an ankle. That, and Metolius pads are a hair stiffer in my opinion. Downside to Metolius pads - you don't get the whole package you do with a Cordless - no waist buckle, no carpet, etc. Hope this helps...

goopermc

Feb 8, 2002, 10:49 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys this helps a lot.

Anyone have opinions on seconds or really cheap crash pads (http://www.megaspot.8m.com/pads.html). In case you hadn't noticed I am a starving college student looking to save a buck, and this sport can get expensive.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook