RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

stuck

Aug 25, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #1 of 3 (4958 views)
Shortcut

highline anchors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is for highliners like therealbovine and Ammon:

What do people normally use for highline anchors in different instances? Could you give me some examples? How about the Indian cave gap, the lost arrow spire?

I'm not trying to set up a highline, I'm just curious as to what is needed to withstand the force of a line that tight.

Thanks

therealbovine

Aug 27, 2003, 3:05 AM
Post #2 of 3 (4956 views)
Shortcut

Re: highline anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MIsha

ththeirseally no perfect answer to your question. Highlining is done by so few people (rigged by few) and is always rigged differently. Ex: The Lost Arrow itself is equiped with bollts that were placed by climbers which makes this end of the line pretty straight forward to rig. Always back everything up. I've seen highlines rigged with climbing gear, trees, telephone poles, vehicles and concrete columns. It seems like most people stray away from questions about highlines because they are scared people are going to get hurt. Well, no one has died yet. My thought on the anchor is redundancy and protect the line and anchor slings from abrasion. Rigging should be done by very experienced persons only, and double and tripple checked by all who walk the line. Good Luck!

elcapbuzz

Sep 11, 2003, 3:55 AM
Post #3 of 3 (4956 views)
Shortcut

Re: highline anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a pretty good answer, Sean.

Most of the popular highlines have at least four bomber points to anchor (bolts are common). In most cases they're bolts on one side and natural protection on the other.

The Lost Arrow Spire used to be anchored to a flake on the rim side... but now has bolts to back up to.

I personally would never rig a line that has less than three bomber points. Marginal anchors is totaly worthless in highline rigging.

Some people rig to a rocking boulder for the Chongo Gap in JTree. I don't think that's very safe. It would only take a few times for the boulder to rock onto the anchor point before it chews its way through.

Pad your edges VERY carefully. Remember how easy it is to cut a tensioned piece of rope with a knife.... the same goes to a tensioned slackline and a sharp/dull edge of rock.

Good luck... and walk safe.

Cheers, Ammon

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook