RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

soulstice

Sep 12, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Ready for more in Denver
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well Paradise rawks, but looking for some outdoor fun. Don't know the climbing areas around Denver however, and only climbing around the 5.8/5.9 level. Oh, only have the climbing basics too. If you need a partner/belayer and are willing to show me the ropes (so to speak), I'd love to get out there. Indoor's great too, especially with the weather changing. I'm really concentrating on technique and strength building. Also interested in doing some 14ers before the season ends, though with the 21inches in Steamboat, it may be too late. Up for it? :lol:
Amber

john1987

Sep 12, 2003, 3:56 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ready for more in Denver [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The closest place to climb near denver is castlewood canyon. The easiest place to top rope grocery store wall. There is a guide called front range top ropers that will help you find it. The only problem w/ castlewood is most climbs are really hard to find.

wigglestick

Sep 12, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Castlewood canyon is not the closest place to Denver. Clear Creek canyon, Table Mountain, Eldo and virtually all the areas in Boulder are closer than Castlewood. Table Mountain will be a good option once winter rolls and all the canyons are bitterly cold.

killclimbz

Sep 12, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on where you are located in Denver. For me Castlewood is just as close as Clear Creek, Table, etc. Castlewood has some good top roping at the Grocery store wall. Clear Creek has some good beginner crags, but they pretty much have to be led. Table Mountain can be toproped also. Loads of stuff around Boulder. So what area of Denver are you located? Perhaps some of us front range locals can give you some better advice on where to go.

helmut

Sep 12, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #5 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can't find a partner to take you climbing there is great bouldering in Clear Creek Canyon and Castlewood Canyon. FWIW, it takes me 30 minutes to get to Table Mountain, 30-40 minutes to get to Clear Creek Canyon (depending on which wall), and 30 minutes to get to Castlewood Canyon.

waitingforthesun

Sep 14, 2003, 4:24 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning on getting out every weekend this fall to cram in as many 14ers and 13ers as I can before the heavy snow falls (it's still pretty bare here in the front range) Let me know if you're interested- Tom

flamer

Sep 14, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It really depends on where you are located in Denver. For me Castlewood is just as close as Clear Creek, Table, etc.

SOO what you are seeing is, you don't live IN DENVER? You live in the suburbs?
As far as Castlewood being the "BEST", maybe if all you are interested in is toproping on short little walls. It's a pretty cool place though....
josh

soulstice

Sep 18, 2003, 7:35 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THanks for all the input. I live in Lakewood, so I'm an geological oddity - 30 minutes from everywhere!
Still, need partners. Email me if you're going out there. I have evenings and weekends off, but can often sneak out early.
rawk,
amber

killclimbz

Sep 18, 2003, 8:12 PM
Post #9 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
It really depends on where you are located in Denver. For me Castlewood is just as close as Clear Creek, Table, etc.

SOO what you are seeing is, you don't live IN DENVER? You live in the suburbs?
As far as Castlewood being the "BEST", maybe if all you are interested in is toproping on short little walls. It's a pretty cool place though....
josh

Umm SE Denver is still in Denver. Obviously you are the one who does not know the area. I guess you live Downtown. By your definition that would be the only Denver area there is.

I also noticed that Amber lived in Lakewood. Is that Denver too or maybe you should just consider that it was generalization? Seems I was correct in thinking this and you were narrow minded.

atg200

Sep 18, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

true that killclimbz. when i lived in SE denver castlewood was way closer than anywhere else, and much better climbing than north table chosspile or choss creek canyon. of course, then i got smart and moved to louisville and now i am 10 minutes from eldo ;)

killclimbz

Sep 18, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
true that killclimbz. when i lived in SE denver castlewood was way closer than anywhere else, and much better climbing than north table chosspile or choss creek canyon. of course, then i got smart and moved to louisville and now i am 10 minutes from eldo ;)

and there you go...

sandbag

Sep 19, 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #12 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto to what Skibby said
:o

soulstice

Sep 19, 2003, 3:44 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Snowshoeing, OF COURSE! 14ers and snowshoeing...someone show me the way and i'm there. Though I'll admit to being a bit of a wimp in cold weather. So anything overnight, I might suddenly have to wash my hair. :-) no really, I'm up for just about anything, as long as I know i'm with someone who knows more then me!
Amber

killclimbz

Sep 19, 2003, 3:49 PM
Post #14 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Better yet, bring your sticks or board and slide on down after you get to the top. In all seriousness it's a lot of fun, but definitely hook up with someone who can teach you the basics for winter backcountry play. You need to learn beacon basics, etc. I'm sure Skibby is experienced along with many others on this sight. I'm sure some of us will get out for some Winter ascents/descents this season.

timstich

Sep 19, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #15 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marketa and I are both getting cross country skis. She's done quite a bit of that. Lots of ski sales in Denver right now and no doubt tons of used gear available from those wanting to trade up.

flamer

Sep 20, 2003, 3:02 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[Umm SE Denver is still in Denver. Obviously you are the one who does not know the area. I guess you live Downtown. By your definition that would be the only Denver area there is.

I also noticed that Amber lived in Lakewood. Is that Denver too or maybe you should just consider that it was generalization? Seems I was correct in thinking this and you were narrow minded.

HA!! Dude I know the CITY OF DENVER better than you ever will.
I work in SE Denver...In fact I work as far SE in DENVER as you possibly can...I can tell you EXACTLY where the city starts and stops....But I guess you are the one with the open mind....
josh

prana0777

Sep 22, 2003, 4:27 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like golden cliff.. it s nice routes. have you try that place If not. go ahead and check it out.

bustinmins

Oct 11, 2003, 3:50 AM
Post #18 of 18 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're always welcome to climb whenever you want to go. Just simply coordinate with me and we'll get you up some rock!

JD

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook