RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

cireyelneh

Feb 8, 2002, 7:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Vs. Line Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok...what are the strengths and weaknesses of each...Basically what does one have over the other and vice versa...I know everyone has their opinion and some discussions can get heated over this subject but Climbing is climbing and it's all about the love right? So...anyone out there care to share why they love their prefered style and comment on the benefits and why it is more desired than the other...?

Thanks!

offwidthclimber

Feb 8, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Vs. Line Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

they're all great.

bouldering is a great way to build power and do some sick moves without bothering with ropes, gear or draws. it's also a community thing and the only type of climbing you can *safely* do while drinking some brews.

sport climbin' is fun for endurance and getting off the ground a bit. good fun way to climb without a ton of commitment (ie placing gear). Generally it's physically committing, but mentally relaxed.

trad climbing is also tha shit. there's almost nothing sweeter than a pure granite 1 3/4" splitter. trad's a great way to get to the top of some great peaks and spend long summer days in the mountains.

i've never ice/mixed or aid climbed, but a lot of that s--- looks pretty intense, and is cool too!

basically, there really aren't any "downsides" to any climbing. it's climbing - it's all good. some types of climbing just lend themselves to particular types of strengths or skills.

peace.

Partner camhead

Feb 8, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got to say I am a trad climber in heart, sport climber for fun, and a #$*!!! gym climber out of necessity, as right now where I am it is abou 0 degrees F. and I can't get outside.

Oh well, only a week until the next forray into the canyonlands!!!

daggerx

Feb 9, 2002, 2:00 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is great way to build strenght
but if you get used to it then you have problems with endurnce (sp).

Climbing Roped problems you build more endurance (sp) then strenght.

if possiable do like 75% rope climbing and 25% bouldering. I feel thats how you get better faster.

treyr

Feb 9, 2002, 1:43 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well line climbing needs more endurance and strength for longer distances. Bouldering requires lots of muscule and not as much technique but still a good bit. Line climbing you do not have to start over if u fall. PLuss u dont hurt yourself as much

cireyelneh

Feb 10, 2002, 8:22 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My whole situation revolves around the gym right now...sometimes with no one to belay me I'm looking to the bouldering area but wondering what to do exactly...I supose I could just jump in and do whatever...but I want to get it done the "right" way if there is such a thing...I want to learn proper technique and excell...not to mention I hate looking like a novice even though in reality I am...I try to humble myself and suck up my pride but It's an issue as a male I guess...Anyone else been there or see people like that?...care to offer your thoughts on this? I would hate to be seen as a Gumby...Someone mentioned that term...doesn't sound good ...Anyway...I just wanna learn...to climb with passion and to excell...I know I should just ask someone but not knowing the person how do I know they are any better off than myself...any other pointers...

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook