RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

Feb 6, 2002, 2:23 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

UV/Haze filter inside
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey guys, me and my filter questions again.

I'm just wondering what kind of effect a UV/Haze filter will have on photos taken indoors?

Also, I plan to take some indoor volleyball shots this weekend and I really want the colours to pop, and the action to be sharp. Any suggestions?

saltspringer

Feb 6, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

UV/Haze filter inside [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the UV filter won't have any effect indoors; as for the need for punchy colour, etc...you'll need to do one of two things: either filter in-camera or filter in the printing stage. If you're shooting slide film you'll need to get CC (Colour Correction) filters for your lenses and a light temperature meter to know which filters to use! If you use print film then any decent lab can adjust the filtration during printing to compensate for tungsten or fluorescent balanced light.

krillen

Feb 6, 2002, 7:41 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about a polarizing filter, or does that only work with sunlight?

It will be your typical gymnasium, not sure whetehr it'll be flouresent or tungsten lighting, and I'll be shooting regular film.

Does this help?

saltspringer

Feb 6, 2002, 7:56 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a polarizer will help with glare to a certain degree but you'll lose your precious 2 stops of light and if you're shooting fast motion sports that'll be the difference between a crisp shot or a blurry one. Filtering for light temperature is very difficult but if you're shooting regular print (negative) film then you can take care of the light balance after the fact, even editing on the computer with filters (Adobe lets you set up custom filters), good luck

krillen

Feb 8, 2002, 1:59 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, I posted this address in another posting, but I thoughtit fit here too.

http://www.photo.net/photo/sports/overview

great overview on how ot shoots sports shots. It even has a breakdown of different sports....but no climbing. Good usable stuff though.

kriso9tails

Feb 8, 2002, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a friend who shot a roll of film under fluorescent lighting (and almost no natural light). I thought he was shooting b&w, which would have been okay, but he was actually shooting slide. Needless to say he wasted some money.

How much are the colour correcting filters. I hear they aren't cheap. Anything over $50 isn't worth it for me because I don't shoot slide indoors, and so far don't really plan to. Besides, I think that people look good in green in colour prints .

krillen

Feb 8, 2002, 8:33 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my UV filter was $15 bucks, I think they average around $25, but some stores have a used collection, so if you hunt for them you may be able to fine a cheap one.

I had another person I was talking to, told me to shoot 800iso with a wide open apature for indoor court sports (mind you I do have a fairly slow lens 4.5-5.6). From anything else I've read this seems to be the popular opinion.

gunkie

Mar 30, 2002, 6:54 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FOr what I've read on books and been recommended is that you don't want a cheap filter on your camara, specially if you have an expensive lense. You get what you pay for.
Make sure it's glas and my favorites are Tiffens.

Ray

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook