Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

moabbeth

Oct 1, 2003, 4:55 AM
Post #1 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and spending habits
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Over the last year I've noticed that I've gotten to the point where when I have any extra money, all I can think about is what kind of climbing gear to spend it on, or where to road trip to, what kind of new climbing goodies are coming out, etc.

I used to spend it on non-climbing clothes, shoes, girly stuff...but ever since climbing I rarely think about those things. I can't even remember the last time I went to a mall and went shopping.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I mean in a way it's good...I have closets full of clothes I can wear forever and don't really need more. Same with shoes. And the need for climbing stuff never seems to end. I just saved up and bought some Yates ladders, while I would have normally went out and spent the $ on cute new fall clothes. :wink: .

Even tho I'm sure at some point this fall I will walk by a store window and see some hot looking knee high black leather FM boots and want them. :lol: :lol:

maculated

Oct 1, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #2 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing and spending habits [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Feel your pain, Beth. I have a beautiful climbing selection right now, but my regular clothes are lacking. But then again, what's wrong with wearing cut off khakis with holes in the butt in public?

climberliz

Oct 1, 2003, 9:46 AM
Post #3 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, my capilene sets are the most beautiful outfits I own....

But seriously, I do understand. I have a huge wardrobe and I'm looking at my closet now thinking, "Man, if only I had spent that money on gear instead... (But the shoes -- wouldn't trade those in for the world)" My only big issue is the size of my apartment -- clothes can be squished into a closet, but most of my gear is much bulkier and hard to store. Maybe my next girly purchase will be a cute set of organizing blocks?

kimmyt

Oct 1, 2003, 1:16 PM
Post #4 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been like that for me since I got into outdoor pursuits. I'm already envisioning all the things I'm going to spend my hard-earned dough for in the future....what with backpacking, kayakking, and now climbing, I'm not going to have any money left for anything! So I make myself a deal that most of the stuff I will buy has to be on sale, unless it's absolutely necessary that I buy it. Of course, then everything seems absolutely necessary. *sigh* Unfortunately, now that I spend a good deal of my time at work on the computer, I tend to check out all the discount stores (EMS, REI, Campmor) and it's very hard not to justify spending 30 bucks on a discount fleece when winter is coming along. Unfortunately, lots of $30 things add up. I guess I will just have to try and have more will power. :?

K.

blackmountaineer

Oct 1, 2003, 1:17 PM
Post #5 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know what you mean. I'm the Imelda Marcos of outdoor footwear:
3 - rock climbing shoes
2 - approach shoes
1 - hybrid climbing/mountaineering boots
1 - stiff leather mountaineering boots
1 - plastic ice climbing/mountaineering boots
1 - Tevas
2 - hiking boots
There's probably more that I'm forgetting.

Just remembered a few more:
1 - mountain biking shoes
1 - mountain biking shoes for clipless pedals
1 - kayaking shoes
2 - snowboarding boots
1 - cross country skiing boots

debsanders

Oct 1, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #6 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm married to the gear fairy. Whenever my son or I have a conversation about something we want or think we want, or might could use, the gear fairy goes out and gets it for us.

The only item I ever buy for myself is climbing shoes, right fit, right price is something the gear fairy cannot grant.

Oh how I love the obsessive compulsive gear fairy!

sroehlk

Oct 1, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #7 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don’t want to even think about how much I spend on outdoor stuff – cloths and gear, gas and food, more cloths... Especially when the EMS by me was closing I bought tons because it was all marked at a pretty nice discount. I had a horrible time trying to store everything at my last apartment. Stuff was hanging off the doors in my tiny bedroom, shoved under the bed, hidden in the back of my closet. At the new place I have this HUGE closet and storage in the basement! Not I just need a raise and I can buy more gear! And don’t be fooled, I still enjoy shopping for other stuff to, I just don’t spend as much money on it. It’s so hard working downtown and being close to so many great stores. A new pair of black boots are calling my name.

iamthewallress

Oct 1, 2003, 5:41 PM
Post #8 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'm way further gone than you b/c I don't even know what FM boots are. There probably was a day when I would have known what they were as soon as they hit the runway, before they'd been knocked off and sent to the mall. A new mall opened a year ago walking distance from my office. It's supposed to be one of the nicest ones in the Bay Area. I've never been.

My tithe to the church of climbing is substantial, although it has started to slow down some. My travel costs may be my biggest expense at the moment since my rack is about as big as it will ever need to be unless I go to Baffin or something...Although last month I bought a new haulbag and this coming month I intend to buy a whole outfit of windstopper (and the good, pricey, lifetime-guaruntee stuff this time...my REI duds blew out in one season!).

moabbeth

Oct 2, 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #9 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess I'm way further gone than you b/c I don't even know what FM boots are.

F*ck Me boots. :lol: :lol: I had a gay best friend about 4 years ago who saw me in a pair of long black boots with a miniskirt and was like "girlfriend, those are some sweet FM boots. Those will get ya some!" And I was like "WTF are you talking about? They just matched the skirt so I wore them."

Now anytime I see boots that go past the ankle I always think of his goofy comment. :wink:

fyreflii

Oct 2, 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #10 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to spend all my money on horses (tack, feed, competition, etc.) but now that I'm away from my horse I've been scouting eBay and rei.com for the best climbing gear deals. Last week I was considering a pair of flip flops for the dorm showers, but didn't want to spring a couple bucks for some plastic ones. The same day, I ordered a pair of $86 five.ten tennis shoes. The shower floors won't kill me - but heaven forbid I get less than the best walking shoes. I've been known to skip meals because I don't want to shell out a few dollars, but I gotta have the new Omega "Jake" biner that opens extra wide (even though I don't need one)

rckclimbergurl

Oct 2, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #11 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can honestly say that I haven't been to a mall, in, well, probably almost half a year. My friends think that I am very pathetic, and always try to drag me along with them.

I only work a little at the local climbing gym, so I can't get very much stuff, but when I've saved up enough cash, it almost always goes to climbing causes. For example, in 2 months I have spent:

200$ - gear for my slowly growing trad rack
140$ - 11 new draws for discount price
100$ - new shoes

eeeeeeeeeeeeek!! And there's gonna be more soon!! And I have to save up for other things......aiie!

Oh well. 8)

crazygirl

Oct 9, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #12 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm tempted to buy a new snowboard, and 2 more cams to replace some broken ones. Someone please talk me out of it.

Partner macherry

Oct 10, 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #13 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, i can relate to the gear thing. I just finished buying a new harness, ordering a climbing helmet and assorted other climbing goodies. But, that didn't stop me from stopping at the local ski store to ogle the new skis arriving for the winter season. Yikes! I would definitely get more gear than go to the mall for clothes and such. Well, there's always that down jacket i've been lusting after.... I can justify that because it fits into the gear category. I can always rationalize out the purchase of new gear, but just try to get the money out of my pocket for household goods. I can't even seem to spend money on nontechnical underwear!

krestkid

Oct 10, 2003, 3:37 AM
Post #14 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Need more money to buy gear...I've been eyeing a new Mountian Hardwear Alchemy jacket!

Partner missedyno

Oct 10, 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #15 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this has been the year of the gear spendage for me....

new soft shell marmot jacket.... but it was worth it, and i've worn it on multipitch, so comfortable... blocks the wind if there is any, breathes if it gets hot out....

oh yeah, got an entire trad rack this year.... splits with my partner, thankfully

new harness.... i'm not sure if i've gotten shoes this year or not. i think i did, early in the year.

for work clothes, i look for sales and things that will match other clothes. then i keep them all here in my office, show up in jeans, change into my business crap and get on with the day. i'd rather spend money on climbing or camping gear, then buy another dress shirt. *gag*

Partner macherry

Oct 10, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #16 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crazygirl, it would go against my nature to talk you out of buying a new snowboard and two new cams. Go for it! I would expect everyone on this thread to encourage the purchase of more gear. Yeah!

crazygirl

Oct 10, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #17 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks Macherry,
bought the board - couldn't resist. maybe just one cam for now.

Partner macherry

Oct 10, 2003, 9:07 PM
Post #18 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

glad to hear you took my advice. I was just ogling a new snowboard this am. It's a Ride 153, very sweet. But, then again those new skis are also calling my name! Yikes, climbing season isn't over yet!

crazygirl

Oct 10, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #19 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the Solomon Ivy. I always had a Burton board before, so i'm not sure about Solomon...

(sorry everyone else, this is not a climbing gear discussion)

indigo_nite

Oct 13, 2003, 6:30 AM
Post #20 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today was the last day of this REI sale and I got (hopefully) my last cam in a long time. I've been developing a trad rack for 2 years (piece by piece) and it's taken priority over other niceties (up-to-date fun clothes, home design accessories). I look at my going out-on-the-town shoes and the newest are 2 years old. This year my big spending was a trip to Asia, which meant time away from climbing and losing some security (leaving full-time work) but I felt it was worthwhile life experience...

On the drive home from REI, I wondered if I could be addicted to buying climbing gear.... Just a tangent but outdoors sports (and extreme sports) seem so trendy (I noticed a growth within the last 5 years), I wondered if some marketing people were sitting around brainstorming how to make money and somehow had the influence to create this social trend...

blackmountaineer

Oct 13, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #21 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I mentioned this topic to some women at work. I pointed out that I was wearing a simple black skirt that I bought over 10 years ago. They all responded that they couldn't fit into clothes they wore 10 years ago. So now I have a new excuse for blowing $$ on gear - climbing keeps me in shape (avoiding the "inevitable" over-30 weight gain) so I don't grow out of my clothes, leaving me more money to spend on climbing gear.

gretchino

Oct 13, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #22 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of spending habits...I went into REI yesterday to kill time (dangerous time killer if you ask me) and of course, go right to the climbing gear. I found a pile of shoes on sale...nothing too great mind you, but I kept digging to the bottom of the pile and found a lonely pair of Boreal Equinox shoes for $50...can't say I've ever climbed in Boreal's, but I couldn't resist $50 climbing shoes that fit great!
:roll: I can't help myself...I found those shoes and made myself get out...there were about 10 other bins full of stuff that I didn't allow myself to see!!

turockgirl

Oct 23, 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #23 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh...I know what its like...

I'm a poor college student who has a job and is still broke because she spends too much on gear....I need to go on a spending freeze or something. :lol:

acegirl

Oct 28, 2003, 3:41 AM
Post #24 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am a gear freak. Not so much with climbing gear (YET) as I am a relative newcomer to the scene. However, I did make my first step into the world of climbing equipment and bought my own chalk-bag today! Woohoo! It was very exciting :D

Working in an outdoors store helps to feed my addiction for the latest styles, fabrics and materials. I can’t remember when I last went shopping for ‘normal’ clothing as I can’t afford it. But when it comes to a down jacket or a beautiful merino wool Icebreaker top, well look at that, somehow the money magically appears!

bustinmins

Nov 24, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #25 of 28 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I guess I'm way further gone than you b/c I don't even know what FM boots are.

F*ck Me boots. :lol: :lol: I had a gay best friend about 4 years ago who saw me in a pair of long black boots with a miniskirt and was like "girlfriend, those are some sweet FM boots. Those will get ya some!" And I was like "WTF are you talking about? They just matched the skirt so I wore them."

Now anytime I see boots that go past the ankle I always think of his goofy comment. :wink:

I do hope you've all heard about FMP's? FMP's are very common in urban areas. :) FM Pumps.

Personally - I'll take a Teva/Chaco/Birkenstock dirt barbie clad in all polartec, a tight t complete with a huge rack(trad) and a big smile. Bandanna/beanie optional :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook