RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climberstephen

Feb 13, 2002, 2:20 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Why Compete?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why would climbers compete? Doesn't that go against the idea that climbing is challenge between you and the rock; not you, the rock and that pot head who roams the camp site mooching food and beer

I guess some don't climb for the personal challenge, but to prove themselves to others. That's all I can think of for why people competitivelyclimb...

...that and the free stuff!

I've got a friend who is arguably the best climber in the midwest. Sended Midnight Lightning in under 5 tries. Very strong. But will not compete since he climbs only for himself. Though he's on a level some of his friends will never reach, he as just as much fun climbing with them, than he does when he climbs with those closer to his ability. I respect that and wish more climbers subscribed to his mentality...

Partner pianomahnn

Feb 13, 2002, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Why Compete? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I compete to hang with friends and win stuff. Stuff is good.

I just enjoy it. And for us flatlanders, it gives us something to do.

kahuna3602

Feb 13, 2002, 3:55 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I compete to be with my climbing buds tackling new problems for the first time.

leadingedge

Feb 13, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I compete mainly because of the experience I discover. I enjoy it and love the atmosphere.

You can win stuff and if you think about it we try routes that people have put thought to, only for a few bucks.

aulwes

Feb 15, 2002, 2:48 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I compete because its a great way to meet new people, and competing is a great way to get in a workout!

vaness

Feb 16, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys win stuff? i dont win stuff...i havent been to a comp yet but even if i get 1st place i dont win anything but 1st place. i dont see anything wrong with competing

aulwes

Feb 16, 2002, 2:53 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I when to my first and only comp, knowone won anything for first place.
They just gave everyone a bunch of stuff, if you got the lucky raffel number you could win a rope, or shoes or other great stuff. It was about just having fun, and doing a lot of kick ass problems!

crackaddict

Feb 16, 2002, 3:02 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every year about this time ask me if I'm competeing in the PBC. I mean I live right here and I climb at Q.C.. But I just don't climb for those reasons. I usually try to avoid crowds out climbing. I like the personal challanges the peace and quiet. Sure you get to win stuff and get free stuff but remember you paid $50 bucks to climb in an area that is usually is free. I take the $50 and go on a ROAD TRIP!

kriso9tails

Feb 16, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I guess some don't climb for the personal challenge, but to prove themselves to others. That's all I can think of for why people competitivelyclimb... "

I strongly disagree. I'd write why but there's a simpler way.

I'm guessing you've never enetered a comp before. I could easily write a thousand words on why comps are philisopically pure, but instead, I'd like you to do something (though I would be surprised if you actually did it).

Enter a comp yourself. Then when all is said and done, thou mayst pass judgement. Sure you might still be critical of competitions, but I can almost garuntee... in fact I will garuntee that if you enter with an open mind, and just have fun and talk with other climbers from all over then you'll have fun.

climberstephen

Feb 26, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I have entered a couple of comps and did well in one, not so well in the other. It seems to me that there were people out to win and those there to try new routes or have fun. But I don't think you need to pay entry fees to try new routes or have fun. If all you want to do is climb and challange yourself, why do you need to do that with a score card? Futhermore, those who were climbing to win and not have fun, well they won... suprise...

I don't argue that they aren't fun. The comps I entered were fun, aside from the stress of if my score was high enough and where I would have placed if I sended that one problem. I don't think I'm alone in wanting to get first in a comp, that's what the premise of a comp is: competeing with the intent of winning. If you weren't climbing to win, why pay the fee and goof around? Why not wait until after the event and do the routes then.

Asuuming one is in a comp to win, one must climb better/harder than the other competetrs. I think that contradicts the idea that climbing is just you and the rock since you are now conserned with how someone else is climbing compared to you. Thus, if you compete, you are trying to be better than Joe Climber and the challenge is now between you, the rock, and him/her.

That's why I feel those who compete are out to prove themselves (not just climbing competitors).

But that's my opinion and, of course, I could be wrong.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook