Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

vertical_reality

Oct 7, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #26 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Re: First solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have NO climbers in my life, if I told any one I run with they'd simply say I was a retard.

Thats what 90% of the people here will say too.

Glad that you made it back ok.

cardboarddog

Oct 7, 2003, 6:30 PM
Post #27 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad that you made it back ok.

you and me both.

gat

Oct 7, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #28 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just my simple (and usually worthless) opinion: As climbers, I think we should all be sensitive to the fact that we all have different levels of acceptable risk. The non-climber considers climbing too dangerous. The climber considers ropeless climbing too dangerous.

I say don't judge and don't worry, it's not your life on the line...unless that ropeless climber happens to be on the pitch above you, then it's time to worry.

valeberga

Oct 7, 2003, 6:44 PM
Post #29 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not impressed. Driving is more dangerous than soloing 5.3. Who falls on 5.3?

mreardon

Oct 7, 2003, 6:48 PM
Post #30 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:

A 5.2 climber.

mreardon

Oct 7, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #31 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
why is this worse than saying " i just led my first 10a. woo-hoo"?

It's not.

However, the thought or mention of soloing freaks out the insecure.

The best response yet.

Congrats on the solo. Do it as often as it makes you happy, but always remember that it has it's consequences if you botch it.

jt512

Oct 7, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #32 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Did my first OS solo on Sunday. Easy 5.3. Man what a feeling. It was almost like being drunk.

Grow up.

-Jay

valeberga

Oct 7, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #33 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

A 5.2 climber.

Never heard of one...

Seems like everyone starts out at or above 5.6

stevematthys

Oct 7, 2003, 7:47 PM
Post #34 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first free solo was a two pitch 5.5 in eldorado canyon (brezzy). yea i know its 5.5 but once you get at exposure with out a rope the mental game really starts to take affect. get gripped pretty easily.

dynoguy

Oct 7, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #35 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cardboardog wrote

(Just one more thing before I be quiet. It shouldn't be talked about, as in on this board? Or as in the article recently published in Climbing mag. about what happened to the solo climbers? Or the numourous soloists pictured on climbing sites? )

1. If Climbing jumped off a bridge would you? :lol:

2. I have never freee soloed but if I ever do I won't be spraying it on this wedsite.

cardboarddog

Oct 7, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #36 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
cardboardog wrote

(Just one more thing before I be quiet. It shouldn't be talked about, as in on this board? Or as in the article recently published in Climbing mag. about what happened to the solo climbers? Or the numourous soloists pictured on climbing sites? )

1. If Climbing jumped off a bridge would you? :lol:

2. I have never freee soloed but if I ever do I won't be spraying it on this wedsite.

Right, it's been covered over and over already if you had bothered to read others posts.
But just a little something, I know I'm cool as hell, and I know I'm f^&ckin' rad, but I don't need to jazz people on a message board to prove it. Kinda the same thing as spraying, don't cha think?

cardboarddog

Oct 7, 2003, 8:15 PM
Post #37 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my first free solo was a two pitch 5.5 in eldorado canyon (brezzy). yea i know its 5.5 but once you get at exposure with out a rope the mental game really starts to take affect. get gripped pretty easily.

Sweet pictures!

herm

Oct 7, 2003, 8:18 PM
Post #38 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I rarely fall on cruxes, it's almost always the class 2 that will get you. Soloing doesn't ever stop; once you start, you realize that you are never more than a toe-hold away from eternity. You will spend the rest of your life getting gripped in parkinglots and on buses, because you know that if you ever lose control, anywhere, not just on a climb, then it's all over. If you swallow that chip wrong, look out. Pay attention. Watch your feet.
Keep your hands at 2:00 and 10:00. Keep an eye on the weather. It's easy to prepare for the cruxes, it's the slog in between where it lurks, waiting for you to become distracted.....

Maybe best to never solo and stay normal...

dynoguy

Oct 7, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #39 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cardboarddog what the hell do you mean by "jazz people"?

javaguy

Oct 7, 2003, 8:59 PM
Post #40 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soloing is great if you don't fall. It's the purest. So if know what you are doing. Then go solo. But NEVER talk about it.
:x Why?
Because people will think you are retarded for doing something that dangerous. BASE jumping and other extreme sports is not even close to soloing. And the ones that actually get impressed and thing it is cool might go and try it and get killed. So don't talk about it...and people who solo usually don't talk about it...because they do it only for themselves. It's not to be cool or anything..it is just because they love it. That is my opinion

hellclimber

Oct 7, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #41 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations cardboardhog!

To the people trying to stifle anyone excited about free soloing: I find you rather hypocritical. Climbers have an increased acceptance to risk compared to the average person. The level of acceptance differs. Some TR (this is probably a level of risk most people will accept). Taking the sharp end is definitely more dangerous. Less than free soloing but people still die. Than we have the difference between bouldering, gym climbing, sport and trad. Accept the risks you are all taking and accept the fact that not all people have the same level of risk acceptance.

hellclimber

squish

Oct 7, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #42 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I'll bite. The bait looks fresh.

Soloing is taboo. It's something that we highly respect, yet it's not something that's talked about so casually. Why?

It's a personal experience. You do it by yourself, for yourself. I'm not talking about the time you had to scramble up to get a stuck rope because you had to. I mean when you set out to "solo" intentionally just for the rush, the headgame, the feeling of self-awarenesss. Sure, it can be personally constructive but it means absolutely nothing to anyone else but you. Kind of like masturbation. You don't talk about that, do you?

It can be self-destructive. If you brag about it, I'm afraid you're doing it out of ego. Don't let your ego incite you to solo for glory! Keep it to yourself and make sure it's not about that.

It can be destructive to others. People are curious apes. If you brag about how you soloed something and it was an earth-shattering experience, someone else is going to try it on your word to see what it's all about. You don't want to promote this idea in people who aren't self-realized enough to decide for themselves.

In addition to the last point, people are competitive apes. Soloing is not and should never be about competition with others. Don't talk about it lest you make it seem that way.

Finally and perhaps most importantly, it's not something that anyone wants to see or have any sort of involvement when something does go wrong. How do you think your friends will feel after your death when they think that they could have stopped you? If you're going to do it, don't implicate anyone else.

Bottom line: It's a matter of personal ettiquette not to talk about it.

Don't be so casual as to say that it's your "first." It implies that there will be a progression. Know yourself and know your reasons before you actively decide to do this, then do us all a favour and keep it to yourself.

roughster

Oct 7, 2003, 9:27 PM
Post #43 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Soloing is taboo. It's something that we highly respect, yet it's not something that's talked about so casually. Why?

It's a personal experience. You do it by yourself, for yourself. I'm not talking about the time you had to scramble up to get a stuck rope because you had to. I mean when you set out to "solo" intentionally just for the rush, the headgame, the feeling of self-awarenesss. Sure, it can be personally constructive but it means absolutely nothing to anyone else but you. Kind of like masturbation. You don't talk about that, do you?

It can be self-destructive. If you brag about it, I'm afraid you're doing it out of ego. Don't let your ego incite you to solo for glory! Keep it to yourself and make sure it's not about that.

It can be destructive to others. People are curious apes. If you brag about how you soloed something and it was an earth-shattering experience, someone else is going to try it on your word to see what it's all about. You don't want to promote this idea in people who aren't self-realized enough to decide for themselves.

In addition to the last point, people are competitive apes. Soloing is not and should never be about competition with others. Don't talk about it lest you make it seem that way.

Finally and perhaps most importantly, it's not something that anyone wants to see or have any sort of involvement when something does go wrong. How do you think your friends will feel after your death when they think that they could have stopped you? If you're going to do it, don't implicate anyone else.

Don't be so casual as to say that it's your "first." It implies that there will be a progression. Know yourself and know your reasons before you actively decide to do this, then do us all a favour and keep it to yourself.

Bingo...we have a winner! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

alpnclmbr1

Oct 7, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #44 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word!

hroldan

Oct 7, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #45 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster: Imposible for me to find better words to say that!. 8)

cardboarddog: don't get me wrong, ok for you but soloing has big consequences and that's the reason a lot of people will not encourage you or anybody else (and with good reason) to do it.

I see you don't have too many posts and I think you are kinda new on RC.com so welcome but don't be impressed that nobody will tend to cheer you up for a 5.3.

Just browse the posts and you'll see that everyone thinks diferent and will say or write what they think. Be open to that any time you start a post.

ricardol

Oct 7, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #46 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys are so full of sh*t ..

congrats on the solo dude -- have fun and be safe ..

.. so many vocal people on this site are safety nazis .. they dont respect that everyone has different levels of acceptable risk ..

.. soloing is a personal choice, and yes most people get very weirded out when you talk about it .. but thats their problem .. -- it doesn't get any pure than a climb without a rope. -- i've yet to commit 100% to that .. on my solo's i've always brought the gear to aid through the crux moves. (A0)

-- ricardo

flamer

Oct 7, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #47 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What ever you say, PU$$Y!!!
I've got news for you, PEOPLE DIE. People die everyday in every possible way. So what? You all cling to life, WHY? You can do everythihng as safe as you want and you will still die, maybe even "before your time".
What did it get you? DEAD!!!
Competition in soloing? HELL YEAH! My buddies and I swap times on speed solo's all the time...it's fun we enjoy it.
Personal etiquette? Who's; yours? Guess what if you don't like hearing about it tough $h1T!! Why did you click on this thread? Did you need to protect your "curious apes"??
You are correct soloing is a deeply personal thing and that include's talking about it, if you so desire.
We all make our own choice's if you don't like someone else's- TOO BAD!!
cardboarddog: I enjoyed hearing about your first solo! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
HAVE FUN!!!
josh
Oh, and yes I do talk about masterbation....

sandbag

Oct 7, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #48 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont candy coat it and beat around the bush Josh, open up a little and let us see how you really feel about the issues.

squish

Oct 7, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #49 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you guys are so full of sh*t ..

congrats on the solo dude -- have fun and be safe ..

.. so many vocal people on this site are safety nazis .. they dont respect that everyone has different levels of acceptable risk ..

.. soloing is a personal choice, and yes most people get very weirded out when you talk about it .. but thats their problem .. -- it doesn't get any pure than a climb without a rope. -- i've yet to commit 100% to that .. on my solo's i've always brought the gear to aid through the crux moves. (A0)
Your reply misses my point completely and contradicts itself in so many places that I don't know where to start.

I'm not against soloing and I'm not a safety nazi. I've soloed enough to have an opinion, and I'm not against it.

I take issue with the attitude that the original poster seems to have towards soloing. Yeah, it's only 5.3, what's the big deal, right? Attitude. Being too casual about it is a big deal, IMHO, and looking for recognition and praise in soloing doesn't look healthy.

I never said "don't do it you're gonna die." I don't think I even raised the word "dangerous" or "unsafe" in my entire post, because that is not the point. Don't be daft. We all know what the game is about, and nobody was disputing that it's a personal choice. I was responding to those who were arguing about whether or not one should kiss-and-tell their solo experiences.

elvislegs

Oct 7, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #50 of 127 (9570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sick of you little PU$$y's whining about soloing.
"WAAA! Don't Talk about soloing!!"
"WAAA! Did it say you could die?"
"WAAA! Don't solo you might get hurt! Or GASP! DIE"
If you Don't like it don't do it. If you're scared don't do it!

Don't Tell me or any other soloist's how to live our life!!
josh

Tell em. heh
Nice post Flamer.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook