RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

doubleb697

Jul 24, 2001, 1:06 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Moutn Rainier
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning on climbing ranier next ap[rilo and i need advice. What gear did u bring how much food? What kind of food? HOw long? I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks

naturalhigh

Jul 24, 2001, 2:24 PM
Post #2 of 2 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Moutn Rainier [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've climbed Mt Rainier once and will be making my second summit attempt this august, which doesn't make me an expert in any sense of the term, but here's a few tips you might consider.

The type of gear you'll need will depend on the route you take. The two common routes are the Disappointment Cleaver route up the south face of the mountain and the Emmons Glacier route thru camp schurman up the east face of the mountain. The cleaver route is by far the most popular and usually crowded. The route via camp schurman offers a great more solitude .
That early in the year the snowpack should still be good and crevasses at a minimum. Crampons and ice axe and the knowledge to use them is a must, as is roping up with the rest of your team (imo).
A typical ascent by the cleaver route takes one day to hike from paradise to camp muir (10k') then the summit attempt is made that night (to avoid avalanche and rockfall during the day). A quick team can easily return all the way to paradise from the summit.
RMI (Rainier Mountaineering Inc) is the oldest and best guide service up the mountain. Check in with them- they offer a climbing school and can give you specific information on the route you want to try.
Nothing special about food... just bring stuff that's tasty... power bars get really unappetizing at 14,000 feet.

Most importantly, be safe. While Mt Rainier is just 3 hrs from downtown seattle and is heavily climbed, it still claims lives every year. If you haven't made an alpine ascent before, besides getting professional instruction, I highly recommend reading Accidents in North American Mountaineering. It's an annual book/report on how people got themselves hurt/killed while climbing.

Hope this helps. Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: naturalhigh on 2001-07-24 08:00 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook