RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 12, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (660 views)
Shortcut

in need of beta for eagle's nest, chattanooga
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what gives w/this place? i can find very little info on it. first: how the f do i get there??? also is it all top rope, and how far is the approach. grades?? the pictures make it look pretty easy, but it looks like a fun area. is it very crowded? so many questions! thanks!!

mattheww

Oct 12, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #2 of 5 (660 views)
Shortcut

Re: in need of beta for eagle's nest, chattanooga [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, you need to skip the nest. It's VERY poor quality limestone and is only good for rappelling. If you still want to go, you can get there by going to Ruby Falls. Turn right at the main entrance and follow the parking area all the way to the back. As the road turns to the right, you can turn left and park there, if the gate isn't closed. Follow the trail about 50 ft and you will be at the top of the cliff. I've played around on the right side of the main face a bit and would say it's probably rated in the 10's. Other than that I haven't a clue about any routes there as this really isn't a climbing area. I suggest you go to Sunset, whick is only about 10min. from Eagles Nest.

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 12, 2003, 5:13 PM
Post #3 of 5 (660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Man, you need to skip the nest. It's VERY poor quality limestone and is only good for rappelling. If you still want to go, you can get there by going to Ruby Falls. Turn right at the main entrance and follow the parking area all the way to the back. As the road turns to the right, you can turn left and park there, if the gate isn't closed. Follow the trail about 50 ft and you will be at the top of the cliff. I've played around on the right side of the main face a bit and would say it's probably rated in the 10's. Other than that I haven't a clue about any routes there as this really isn't a climbing area. I suggest you go to Sunset, whick is only about 10min. from Eagles Nest.

thanks, man. i was under the impression sunset was farther. does it have top roping there? (i will probably be going w/ a beginner). poor quality?? i guess i will take your word for it and not go, b/c i've heard that before. thanks again

mattheww

Oct 13, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can top rope at Eagles Nest just like the rappellers do, but be SURE to pad the trees you tie to. If caught not doing so, you will be given a fine by the rangers. Sunset is the same way if you need to tie off to a tree. They have installed rap rings on the routes along the overlook area to reduce the damage to the trees, but I'm not sure about farther around where the easier 5.4 - 5.8's are since I haven't been farther than Rusty's Crack 5.10 a/b. Sunset has very solid and clean sandstone and would be worth coming up for. Parking is limited to 5 spots for climbers and has 3-4 1 hour parking spots for sight seers. The rangers DO enforce the rules. If the unlimited parking spots are full, you will have to park down at the ball fields or at point park and hike the 1-1.5 miles back.

sedodd

Oct 17, 2003, 7:36 AM
Post #5 of 5 (660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the nest is a pile.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook