RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

darkside

Oct 14, 2003, 9:51 AM
Post #1 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Rumney v2.0
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
WOW what a great time I had at Rumney this past weekend. sorry I could only stay the two days. James and Dom said it was up to me to start a TR but since they and Grant were there before me and stayed later that just wouldn't be right. So I will leave it to one of them to start and then I will happily add my experiences.

Thanks to Grant and Jules for the invite and the amazing hospitality.

Dude, whoever gets back and online first starts it. Well any way, here it is ready to go but I have to hit the sack very soon so I will check back on this tomorrow... erm today..... errm whenever I have had a little more sleep. I just got home more or less. :shock:

edge

Oct 14, 2003, 1:08 PM
Post #2 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rumney v2.0 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Meaghan and I were only there on Saturday, but it seems like we were well ahead of all of you. When we arrived in the parking lot at 9 am, there were only about 6 other cars in the place. We had the 5.8 crag to ourselves for a couple of warm ups before the masses showed, then went up to Bonsai for a couple of hours. After that, we were surprised to see no one on Waimea (the climb, not the entire cliff) so we jumped on that.

On the way down we passed a large group that I guess were some RC.com'ers based on faces I recognized in the pics in Jules reply on the other thread. We were the father/daughter team with a Welsh Corgi in tow. Sorry we didn't recognize anyone enough to introduce ourselves...

Hope you all had fun, and based on some of the pics in Jules reply, I hope you can remember if you did. :lol:

tcollins

Oct 14, 2003, 1:19 PM
Post #3 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, I remember you two. I think it was Meg's water bottle I caught as it bounded down the trail. We said hi, so I'll chalk that up to meeting you :lol:

We had a blast, Sat was a perfect day to be out. Once again had a blast getting to see and climb with everyone. I'll write more later, work is calling.

TD

kimble

Oct 14, 2003, 1:47 PM
Post #4 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had an great weekend! I met a bunch of great people and got to climb and lead some great routes... what could be better?

now I'm stuck at work dreaming of climbing :-/

hope to see some of you around the crags.

Thanks for the fun!

Partner wideguy

Oct 14, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #5 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok here is my brief section of the weekend

Arived friday night just in time to see Grant putting the finishing touches on two of his amazing apple pies. Met a bunch of cool people hung out and basically got to know each other. I managed to send the easiest variation on the deck problem, and several more were created. I believe James sent the full "two-way traverse and top out" variation, while drunk. GO JAMES!!! Set up my portable house and later, around 2 got down to sleep. Going to bed we had roughly 15 people, we woke up with probably 20+.

Sat. awakened to the sounds and smells of breakfast, amazing way to wake up. Grant and Grant put out a breakfast spread to be envied. Didn't get to Rumney till 11:00 or so and started at 5.8 Crag. I TR'd the 5.7 corner arete and then the 5.8 route next to it without using the popular tre stem on the third move. :wink: While being lowered off I managed to cross over the rope and SOMEHOW clip both ropes into the bottom draw. Took a couple trips back up to get that sorted out. Flailed on the crimpy 5.8 to the right of that with the slabby start. That bugged me.

Then we decided to head up to Jimmy Cliff. The approach? Yeah, not made for fat out of shape guys. :shock: I seriously could feel my pulse in the center of my brain. Finally made it up and got my first lead on Clippety Doo Dah. That was Awesome and thanks to the guys, TD, Foo, Jeff Grant et al for pushing me to take the shot.

Later Dom and I made a speed descent from Jimmy Cliff Right in an attempt to get to the State Liquor Store for my Jack before they closed. 20 minutes from the cliff to the car with our packs. Alas, despite our extrordinary efforts, our attempt was foiled. Arriving at 5:50 we discovered the store closed at 5:30. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I cannot thank Dom enough for the effort though. Truly above and beyond the call.

That night, we got back to the house and Grant had a full on dinner waiting. Turkey, ham, all the veggies, and wine to go with it. Pretty amazing effort for a bunch of dirtbag climbers invading his house, many of whom he had never met. At some point the fruity drinks in hollow pineapples appeared, so you KNOW it was a party!! 8) Thanks to the French-Canadien contingent our ranks swelled to 30(?) Saturday night.

The next morning, after the pot and ladle alarm clock was rung we watched a sprited and wet wrestling match, details of which can be spared. Jules did make sure to share the fun by hugging several sleepy campers. Fortunately, I was spared.

Then we hemmed and hawed over wher to climb. Me and the rest of the MA contingent decided to part ways and head to Pawtuckaway and be closer to home. That is a whole different story. So what happened at Rumney Sunday or Monday is a story for someone else to tell.

Again, I cannot say it enough. Thanks to Jules and Grant for putting this together, for feeding us, for housing us, for everything. Great meeting you all and I hope I get to climb with you all again. Any of you who don't post much please PM me your addy's so I can get in touch. Count me in for v3.0 if there is one.

bigevilgrape

Oct 14, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I kicked jules ass ;) I think I was in more pain from wrestling with her then climbing.

I got there on friday so I got to hang out with grant, dom and james at the main wall. 5.8 wall and jimmy cliff on saturday and then new wave on sunday.

neutralcypruss

Oct 14, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #7 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D Well i must say that this trip was amazing and boy do i mean amazing
it started arriving on wed nite with darkside. We got Grant's cabin and had a couple of ales imagine that haha. Darkside and i got up in the morning
and were expecting Dom to be there but he showed up later at the Meadows we did a fair bit of climbing that day kind of an intro the the type of rock. ON friday people started showing up it was pretty funny Dom answering his cell and having a chat while on a multi-pitch telling people where were. It was my first multi-pitch and darkside drags me up
a 9+ talk about an expierience. sataurday everyone showed up i must say i had a lot of fun and met some great people thanks to all the Mass. boyz and i had alot of fun partying and coming up with new deck problems
since we were the only smokers out of the lot. We were outside alot of the time and i would like to say i made some friends and look forward to seeing them again we climbed lots and had twice the fun special thanks
to Grant for all the food, cabin, hospitality in general well my eyes are burning out of my head tired from the trip home i will be back though.
look forward seeing more posts to respond to.

jakedatc

Oct 14, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #8 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys :) first i'm so glad i decided at the last minute to head up and bring the news of good weather with me.

Lets see the other half of the Sunday climbing story

Grant, Dom, Katie, Brian, James and I headed up to New Wave wall and started up a gentle 5.6 Sixth sense to work the kinks out of their sore muscles. Then moved over to what Grant and Brian had put up.. 5.8 Air and pleasant danger which was my first quickdraw to quicklink change over which was good to learn.

We then moved further over New wave wall to a newer section that had a 5.7 no name climb that i decided to put up my first lead. which went fairly well except an almost back clip ("ahh no wait other way!" i think was the jumble of yells from the bottom) a little sketchy part then an easy run to the top. and finished the day with the 5.9 NightCrawler

Sunday night they left me as the only Mass climber left in the crew. We had and awesome dinner of Ramen noodles (thanks katie). We were all pumped up to see the Red sox game but since it was postponed (till last night YA SOX) we all hung out either upstairs or around the basement. Had fun with the various digi cams around. Gave Jules a well deserved back massage til she passed out.. which led to the soon to be famous Dancing Smiley's MPEG video Ya Grant!

Monday Jules, rachel and i went to the Main wall Climbed some short 5.7 but rachel got her first outdoor lead. Then we were giong to climb a 5.8 but jules decided to take the 5.9 line which got confusing for sure.. down climbed.. got beta from wayyyy over and finished up the top. i went up and cleaned it and took a few pics from the top of the awesome view of the valley. Thanks james and dom for the draws to borrow.

Finished up the weekend with a trip to the Diner with the "last day crew"
took some group photos inside and outside. parted ways.. drove Jules home. then fought with traffic on 93.. pshhh leaf peekers.. they're leaves!

Thanks for a great introduction to Sport climbing.. now do i need 5" or 7" draws lol Keep in touch and post all those pics!
Jake

edge

Oct 14, 2003, 4:02 PM
Post #9 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like I mentioned above, we really didn't hook up with anyone, but here are a few pics from Saturday:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=18851

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=18756

Next time we will track you all down and share the madness...

edge

Oct 14, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #10 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aaa

kimble

Oct 14, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #11 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YES! Grant went way above and beyond and I'm sure everyone was very appreciative, I know I was. Thanks for the great food and shelter.

Also, I wish Dom a safe trip home, as well as everyone else (although I assume they have made their trips already).

Those who have pictures please post! :)

bored at work,
-Brian

foograbbinstone

Oct 14, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #12 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was feeling lazy just pasted earlier post !!!!! Adding so it allright ...right....
RIGHT!!!!!! 8) 8)

yooooooooo,

Let me be the first to say Rumney was great!

I drove with TD and Jeff on Friday night. We got there kinda early on the late scale!!(fair amount of traffic on the way)

Was good to be greeted by some familiar faces at Jules house,Mostly returns from Rumney V. I.

Climbing on Sat awesome and the weather couldn't have been better!
SPent the day climbing with RumV.I's and all the new people I had met the Night before!! Such a good time. Well minus the approach still managed to get a couple of giggles out of that too!!!!!

OMG the meal's Jules dad ,Grant, had laid out for us was top notch. Great B-fasts a Turkey & Ham dinner with all the fixings. Chilli, Soup , Oh the clam chowder. Can ya tell I love too eat yet!!!? Multiple Apple pies!!!1

Jules , Grant, I'ld like to thank you for your hospitality,
dealing with the madness,and mass of people that invaded your place for the last few days!!!!!

I had an awesome time with new faces and old,and allready cant waite till next year!!

Jules and Kate excellent wrestling match,next year maybe Jello and garden hoses!!!!?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adults to chil'ens, come in chil'ens!!! :P :P :P

Shirts or skinz---- lol Skinz skinz skinz!!!! :wink: :wink:

What more needs to be said, Oh yeah Grant the Junior excellent rally speach again this year!!!

The Bostonians stopped at Pawtuckaway on the way home!! TD, Jeff, Chad, Derrick and I played around on a couple of routes till the rain started to come down. Glad you guys were coming to me because I wasn't leaving my nice dry overhang to go looking for you!!! I knew I was on trail Junction!!! :D :D :D

note to self: self when climbing a chimney, don't bring so much crap!! :oops:

foo
Mike

Partner wideguy

Oct 14, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #13 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Adults to chil'ens, come in chil'ens!!! :P :P :P

Shirts or skinz---- lol Skinz skinz skinz!!!! :wink: :wink:

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"You ALL waiting to climb this route?"

darkside

Oct 15, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #14 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all
I'll be doing a report soon but just a quick note. I just saw this thread and seeing as we were there that day, are these anyones? I got mine back :oops: and I don't recall anyone saying anything but who knows eh?

edge

Oct 15, 2003, 3:24 PM
Post #15 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I posted that on Gripped, New England Bouldering, NE Climbs, and here on RC.com. I hope that whoever forgot them reads at least one of the Northeast message boards... I'd love to return them.

We were the first group to the 5.8 crag on Saturday morning, and they had been left out overnight.

orestes1724

Oct 15, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #16 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what a GREAT weekend.
i saw string cheese incident friday night and that kicked ass, got to julianas house around 8 30 saturday morning where i met the people who were awake, went bouldering. i had brought my friends mike and my friend autumn who had only climbed a few times before so it was great for her. we worked a few problems for like 4 hours then hiked up to Wiamea to watch some other people then headed down, oh man...were we dirty. we were the first ones back saturday so we kinda sat around for a while.
that night going to bed i slept on the deck with mike, no tent, just sleeping bags. i was sweating like crazy then it got cold so i was freezing and went inside at about 3, sat on the stairs because i didnt know where to sleep and ended up sleeping there, then moved to the floor sometimes during the night. woke up the next morning sick as hell, but most people werent in top condition due to the nights festives :wink: . we got to the crag at the crack of noon, set out to do Wiamea. mike lead it, autumn hung up it, we had to do a little waiting for an asshole who was rude and obviously had something up his ass, and then i top roped it. good climb.
i had a bed to sleep in that night, but somehow i ended up on the floor.
i was going to go climb orangahang with the quebeckers but i couldnt figure out how i was going to get home so i ended up going out to do my first outdoor lead!!! with jake and jules. it was a short and sweet very not intimadating 5-7 (thats why i picked it). had fun with that, heard van yelling for me and say around for a while, whlie josh was unlocking his keys from inside his car for about the 10th time this year. then we went to the diner, ate some food, and went our seperate ways.
what a great weekend, everyone should go next year.
thanks to so many people for letting me sleep in your house/eat your food/use your draws/inviting me to climb with you. you know who you are.

cliffhunger

Oct 16, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #17 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We got some nice pics, finally.

http://132.210.40.118/pics/rumney/

I can't quite remember who I met or saw except the few to which I talked a lot. Definitely a great time!
It was good not feeling injuried again.

Partner sauron

Oct 16, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #18 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We also have pictures trickling in on this side...

Still waiting for Grant and James pictures, in the meantime, enjoy Katie (bigevilgrape)'s pictures:

http://www.the-infinite.org/gallery/rumney_2003_10

- d.

foograbbinstone

Oct 16, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #19 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wideguy_

You ALL waiting to climb this route?"

lol -nope we just hiked up here to take our shirts of and enjoy the view. Why don't ya join us!!!!

foo

Partner sauron

Oct 16, 2003, 5:40 PM
Post #20 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"You ALL waiting to climb this route?"

lol -nope we just hiked up here to take our shirts of and enjoy the view. Why don't ya join us!!!!

Sheesh, I hear that route is pretty popular, eh?

:)

- d.

Partner sauron

Oct 17, 2003, 2:12 PM
Post #21 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Rumney v2.0 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We also have pictures trickling in on this side...

Still waiting for Grant and James pictures, in the meantime, enjoy Katie (bigevilgrape)'s pictures:

http://www.the-infinite.org/gallery/rumney_2003_10

Just added a bunch of Grant's pictures, and I threw Jules' pics in there as well, for good measure.

- d.

qqclimber

Oct 17, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #22 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey

sorry took so long to reply. works been busy and i'm a slacker

anyway ... wanted to add my 2 cents. thanks to Grant and Jules for a GREAT weekend. can't believe people are that cool to allow all of us slobs to crash their place and then do all the cooking

I also wanted to say it was great meeting and climbing with everyone. i hope we can all get together soon (like earlier than Rumney v3) maybe we all plan something for late next spring/early summer somewhere (Gunks or out west???)

climb on,
Derek

darkside

Oct 17, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #23 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dereks not the only slacker, I still have to submit some pics to RC and write some highlights but I'm getting bogged down in some access issues that NEED attention. Sheesh, I'm not even getting in the coffee house these days.

Anyway here are a few PICS to check out for now.

kimble

Oct 19, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #24 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enjoyed the pics.. thanks :lol:

Partner sauron

Oct 24, 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #25 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My story:

http://www.the-infinite.org/blog/?id=80

- d.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook