RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

miagi

Feb 15, 2002, 10:46 AM
Post #1 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

PLEEEEEASE! let me climb!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, just wondering if anyone can relate - im sure at least someone can. I just started climbing about two months ago and as of now im just trying to find some local spots to climb because the best thing i can find around where i live (mid east ohio) is Lisbon OH logtown which is a lil over an hour away. Ive been hiking all over and cant really find anything except for shale rock. The thing that im wishing is that the city highway department let me climb on some of the ledges near the roads. Its nice solid rock and basically safe, being about 20 feet away from the road. Plus the road has those concrete barriers. Im going to ask but im wondering if any of you have tried this. Really would be nice if I could climb these cause they are a real challenge for me and its close to where i live.

kevinwaldock

Feb 15, 2002, 11:15 AM
Post #2 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

PLEEEEEASE! let me climb!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

who cares what the cops say man just go at a time when you know the highway won't be used that much ya know be inconspicuous about it and if they catch ya tell em ya didn't know, go early in da morning or something. me and my partner used to climb big cliffs at the side of highways in cottage country early in da morn.
hope this helps
kevin

miagi

Feb 15, 2002, 11:23 AM
Post #3 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know about the "i didnt know" quote but i didnt know of whether to use it or not. The cliff that i have my eyes on was just blown out cause of falling rock. Now its a nice solid rock face that im dying to climb. Its way out in the open so being sly wont help here.

orngave

Feb 15, 2002, 11:26 AM
Post #4 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to burst everyones bubble, and could be corrected if I am wrong. But climbing on blasted rock isn't safe, and I was always told never to do it.

rigel

Feb 15, 2002, 11:47 AM
Post #5 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how does that saying go?...

oh yeah,

"it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission."

i would think bouldering would be ok...top roping it might cause accidents from on-lookers not paying attention to the road.

kevinwaldock

Feb 15, 2002, 12:18 PM
Post #6 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great point rigel i never really thought about the slack jaw locals rubber necking at us half way up the cliff. and blasted rock can be very sketchy so b-careful.
kevin

miagi

Feb 15, 2002, 2:34 PM
Post #7 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not all of the rock is blasted. Only this one that ive been looking at but now since you've said that i dont know if i will. But non the less there are still really good looking cliffs.

rockjock04

Feb 15, 2002, 2:46 PM
Post #8 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I know exactly how you feel. Im from midwest Ohio, and Im hardly ever allowed to drive to the nearest crag. Too bad its cold out, or id be going this monday, (NO SCHOOL, PRESIDENTS DAY ) any who, I have a present for you.

ohioclimbers.org

This places mission is to open up closed climbing areas and getting access to more. they have a website duh. You might want to check 'em out. They also have a map of ohio with lists of open climbing crags. If your ever in west ohio near Springfield, give me a holler and we can go climbing at john bryan state park.

[ This Message was edited by: rockjock04 on 2002-02-15 14:47 ]

miagi

Feb 15, 2002, 5:10 PM
Post #9 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright! a fellow climber restricted by law It really sucks doesnt it? I mean ive seen some pretty amazing climbing spots but im sure the city wont let me. Im still hiking because there are alot of woods but all i come up with is shale and eroding rock.

alternativekudzu

Feb 15, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, blasted rock is usually not the safest to climb on....i wouldn't recommend it. don't feel bad though...i have to drive 2hrs just to get in some somewhat decent climbing (try living in the Mississippi delta)

rockjock04

Feb 15, 2002, 6:30 PM
Post #11 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey miagi. Isn't that name from "The karate kid"? Just wondering. I checked out your profile and saw your about 19. I'm sixteen. Nothing better than 2 reckless climbing teenagers right?

Does suck to be here though. I am officially moving to a mountainous region when I have money. Ive got it narowed down to arizona, california, utah, or colorado. Yosimite looks AWESOME so I plan to try a few states before I settle down.

Meh, I can dream.

Feb 15, 2002, 10:33 PM
Post #12 of 12 (977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A buddy of mine climbed the local mall and got caught. He used the "Ididnt know" line and got a ticket! Don't rely on it!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$71.96 (10% off)
$165.24 (10% off)
$147.55 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook