Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

vivalargo

Oct 21, 2003, 11:52 PM
Post #76 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fatal accident at Tahquitz 10/19/03 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Friends,

My most heartfelt sorrow to all family members and friends of the fallen, as well as those who assisted on the recovery. Tht's heartbreaking work.

So far as to the causal chain of events that led to the accident, since it sounds like the rope was not cut and the climbers were still connected, the only explanation possible is that the principal belay blew out, so the question is how. Did the leader fall straight onto the belay? Did he have pro in that ripped, leaving him to shockload onto the belay? Need to check the rope above the belayer to see what's attatched to the rope (unless any pro came unclipped), and you'd need to investigate the route to find any evidence, if any is to be gotten. The exact details are hard to pin down -- such as rock breaking, et al -- but with total anchor failure, the general scenario can only be a one of a limited few things.

Lastly, the mid to upper reaches of The Step -- and that whole stretch of rock -- becomes very nebulous with no really distinct lines and a maze of crossing cracks and strange ramps, and all through this section bomber pro is often hard to get. As someone mentioned, Tahqauitz has more of an alpine feel than a regular "trad" feel, where things are straightforward. Many tahquitz routes wander toward the top, where the cracks get shallow and the line obscure.

JL

moabbeth

Oct 22, 2003, 12:12 AM
Post #77 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
fin Is anyone familiar with the route?

Meg

Meg - a friend of mine knew Dave, and saw him that morning. Here's a little of what he told me:

My partner and I ran into Dave and Kelly Sunday morning at Humber Park, and I gave them beta on The Step (10a), which they said they were going to climb, and which I've done a number of times over the past few years. I warned them about the third pitch, which although only rated 5.6/7 is very funky climbing and hard to protect. Don't know if that's where it happened, but the rest of the climb, including the crux, has always seemed to me easier to protect at least. I also warned them of reports I'd heard recently of rockfall on the route, although it has never in the past seemed particularly loose to me.

Hope that provides a little insight. I will put you guys in contact cause I think it might help for you guys to have each other to talk to about this.

hisdudeness

Oct 22, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #78 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too, am an acquaintance and work associate of Dave Kellogg. I met him through a co-worker who several months ago got me into bouldering on Wednesday nights at the Santee Boulders, and have had the pleasure of meeting and climbing with Dave several times (when I could make it to the ritualistic Wednesday night climb).

I must say that I was shocked when I heard the news, and for those of us here that knew him (and us that worked with him), it will be difficult on those Wednesday nights in the future.

With that said, I wanted to pass on my personal condolences to his wife and young boy, as well as to others that knew him and/or his climbing partner that day. Nothing makes a new climber more nervous than heading out so soon after losing one of your own.

Andy

nattydread

Oct 22, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #79 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://kapali.net/...ty/misc/DaveDrum.jpg

Just thought I'd put a face to the name of one of the climbers, Dave Kellogg. He loved climbing so much and tried to instill his passion for the sport into everyone. Climbing will never be the same for most of us who had the pleasure of his company at Joshua Tree, Red Rocks, or anywhere you wanted to go climb. He will be missed and never forgotten

"Send it! Never say 'take'!" - words of Dave Kellogg

barnett

Oct 22, 2003, 4:24 AM
Post #80 of 221 (90952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kelly Tufo was one of the most giving, caring, selfless people I have ever had the pleasure to know. A brilliant, loving, and positive wit. Always you before him. I have been a friend and admirer of his for 13 plus years. His absence on this earth will create ripples in many, many ponds. My heart goes out to the many people that were influenced, loved, and enamored by/with both Kelly and Dave.

Peace to all.

Barnett

surfclimber

Oct 22, 2003, 8:18 AM
Post #81 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello All,
Dave Kellogg was a personal friend of mine (I didn't know Kelly). I just found out the news a short while ago and, suffice it to say, I am absolutely dumbfounded and devastated. Dave was an exceptionally talented climber and I am confident that the only way he could have died is through equipment failure. He was ALWAYS the one double, triple, quadruple checking his gear, knots, EVERYTHING. He's logged well over a decade of climbing and, besides his wife and 2 year old son, there was nothing else on this Earth he loved more. Climbing was his passion. He even confided to me on occasions that he didn't want to die, but if it had to be, then let it be climbing. Even so, I still find it a hard pill to swallow under the circumstances.

Dave always shared his immense knowledge with me, given my scant 3.5 years of climbing experience. He always helped me push my limits, but again, NEVER at the expense of safety. We'd been in touch recently trying to nail down some dates to climb together. One of those dates was this past weekend. For a number of reasons, I was unable to go with him. We'd planned on getting together in November.

I know this is so cliche, but news like this hammers home the old adage, "life is short." I am a better person for having known him and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Dave.

Bill Sukala

howdyjeff

Oct 22, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #82 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a very good friend of Dave's, and I've climbed with him for many years, often, and recently. We had plans to climb together the following weekend at Red Rocks. My partner and I were climbing at Tahquitz Sunday, and we spoke with Dave and Kelly Sunday morning at Humber Park before heading up. We finished our route and left early in the day, unaware that anything had happened at the time.

I was familiar with the climbers’ abilities, and I am familiar with the route. I'd like to give my two cents, clarify, and speculate. I personally think there is a ton to be learned in combining evidence, experience, and speculation about what might have happened. For those of you interested, read on; otherwise, simply don’t. Speculation and a particular warning from my own experience with the route may be particularly interesting for those planning on doing the climb and who welcome a little beta. You might also be surprised at what I think probably happened, and it’s a good lesson for less experienced climbers and a good reminder for experienced ones. Anyway, I welcome constructive criticism.

First, thanks for all the support. I spent Monday morning trying to help Dave's girlfriend find out why he had not returned home or called. I was referred to and spoke with a number of different offices in and around Idyllwild but was unable to get any solid information other than that a rescue of some sort on behalf of some undisclosed climbers had been initiated on Sunday and was continued on Monday. I was on my way out the door with gear and ropes around noon Monday, planning on heading back up to Idyllwild from San Diego, when the Riverside County Sheriff's office finally returned a message I left with them earlier and gave me the terrible news.

I mention this because after struggling all morning to get information on what happened and who was involved, I was amazed at how quickly word spread afterward and how much support was generated so quickly. It is a testament to the climbing community, and it is evidence, I think, of one of the reasons that Dave loved climbing. He climbed with and was known and liked by many, and he participated in and fed off of the unique camaraderie that is sometimes easy to forget in an endeavor that is usually a very one-on-one, or even somewhat private, experience.

I’d also like to thank the people involved in the rescue/recovery efforts. Having worked with other climbers myself in a successful rescue at Tahquitz a couple years ago, I understand the tremendous, selfless work and stress that is involved, and I would also urge all climbers to do what they can to train for such an eventuality.

As his girlfriend Florabel indicated, Dave and Kelly had attempted The Step (10a) the previous weekend, and they told me they were headed up for another try on The Step Sunday morning. I think it’s fairly safe to assume they were on The Step, and I’d like to present a speculative analysis of what I think might have happened, based on the evidence so far and my own past experience with the climb. If you’d prefer not to hear beta on the route, stop reading here.

I have climbed The Step about four or five times over as many years, and it’s one of my favorite moderates at Tahquitz, although I’m afraid it’s never going to be the same route for me again after what has happened. I climbed it as recently as last season.

In my experience, the route has never struck me as particularly loose in the sense that a leader might encounter spontaneous rockfall directly from the route itself or a hold pulling off or something like that, although rock does weather and change and does not always appear loose, so such is always possible. Also, I can’t of course speak for rockfall coming from above or beside the route where I’ve never climbed, although the route is pretty vertical, and I don’t recall ever encountering any particularly loose rock above. In any case, I was a little surprised to hear reports of recent rockfall on the route from someone, and I mentioned it to Dave Sunday morning. I do know from the direct experience of hearing and seeing the obvious effects of it that rockfall has occurred in the past couple years between Whodunnit and White Maiden and also in the vicinity of Human Fright.

The issue of rockfall is important, but I don’t believe that it probably caused the fall in this case in the sense of rock falling on the party. This seems to be consistent with the reports by those in the area of the sound of cursing and gear slipping, then rockfall. I believe the evidence and reports of a normal lead fall in which gear pulled, causing a factor two fall onto an anchor that pulled. More on that later.

The Step is most certainly a Tahquitz 10a, which means that the crux is perhaps a letter grade or two harder than 10a, as a previous poster suggested. Not only is the crux somewhat physically demanding, but more importantly it is somewhat baffling, involving an unobvious and sketchy sequence of moves to get above a roof. Once a person has done the climb and knows the moves, it seems perhaps a bit more 10a, but the first time it may seem harder. This is the case with plenty of other climbs at Tahquitz, such as Super Pooper, and this is one reason that people quibble about ratings. We’ve all heard it before: ratings are somewhat subjective.

In addition to this, I feel that the guidebook (1993 edition) may have the crux wrong, if you read the topo a certain way. I can't speak for the new edition, but again, we’ve heard it before: topos are often ambiguous or just plain wrong. I personally always assumed that the topo was accurate in showing the crack leading up to the first roof as 5.8 and the roof itself as 10a, the crux. The roof I’m talking about is the one with a sling to the right on Le Toit. Discussing the route with Dave early last week I discovered that he assumed that the topo had the roof as 5.8, but he was surprised that it was so hard, and that’s where they backed off the route the weekend before. I told him, having myself climbed the entire route a number of times, that I always felt the roof was in fact the technical crux. Nothing above it ever seemed particularly more difficult.

In the end though, I don’t think the question of whether the topo has the crux wrong, or whether it is ambiguous or not, really matters anyway, because I don’t feel that they fell at the crux (the first roof). Accounts suggest that they fell from higher up, and I would believe it, given how late in the day those same reports say the fall occurred.

Dave was a very experienced and solid climber, and although he regularly climbed low to middle 10s, these were at the upper end of his ability. This is supported by the fact that the two bailed off the route the previous weekend but were ready to try again so soon. Kelly was not quite as strong or regular a climber as Dave, I think, though in climbing with him once or twice before I feel he was probably capable of successfully following the entire route, perhaps with a fall or two.

It has always been my impression that route finding on The Step is fairly straightforward by Tahquitz standards. The belays are also pretty obvious. The first belay is directly off the ledge the climb shares with Super Pooper. After a very short and easy pitch, the second belay is at a very small but bomber bush/tree, which I often use as part of the belay anchor. Above this is the roof, which I believe to be the crux. The pitch leading up to it, as well as the crux itself, I have always felt, are both pretty easy to protect, although I’m fairly sure it’s difficult to get good (or any) pro above the crux before you make the move, so if you don’t make it you’ll fall a little ways back down below the roof. The section above the roof doesn’t particularly stand out in my mind, but as I said before, I don’t remember it being more difficult than the roof move, despite how you might read the topo. I also don’t remember it being particularly difficult to protect. In short, my speculation is that the two may have successfully climbed the first and second (crux) pitch this time and made it to the bottom of the third pitch.

My feeling is that they probably fell from the third pitch. This may be surprising, and also very telling for those who have not climbed the route, in that the third pitch is rated 5.6/7. But in my opinion, this pitch is a bit “R”. The pitch is not really a dihedral as previously reported, but rather a massive right-facing flake on the face. The rock is very vertical here, and although you use some edges on the face, you also sort of half-chimney/arm-bar/scum up the entire pitch under the flake. Because the space between the flake and the face is very wide, deep, and flaring, the pitch is very hard to protect. You can get gear in only a few places on the entire pitch where the rock constricts under the flake, and as such these placements are very susceptible to walking out, especially if they don’t have long runners. I don’t recall ever having anything big enough on my rack to do much more than that.

The only place on the pitch to get really good pro, in my opinion, is in a horizontal crack that forms the bottom of the flake, just a move or two above the belay. So, it is very important to get good gear there before you launch off on the pitch. Even better, extend part of the belay anchor up to this placement. The belay stance itself is not bad, however if I remember correctly, it is very tempting to just put small to medium gear for a belay anchor under some small (inch to two-inch thick?) right-facing flakes right at the stance. This is just the sort of belay anchor, however well-constructed, that would not hold a factor two fall due to the nature of the rock itself, which would explain the anchor pulling and rockfall, and it’s the sort of pitch on which it would not be difficult to simply slip on lead, pull sparse and sketchy gear, and take such a fall. I made it a special point to warn Dave about the details of this pitch prior to his climb.

It would be interesting to know also who it looked like was leading at the time of the fall. This would not be difficult to determine, given an examination of the configuration of belay anchor gear on the rope after the fall, although I haven’t heard the details of that. Given that Dave was the stronger climber, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelly lead the first (easy, short) pitch, Dave the crux pitch, and then Kelly the third pitch, which although indicated to be only 5.6/7, is actually pretty sketchy, and very difficult to protect effectively for a strong climber, much less one not as experienced.

It’s also possible that the fall occurred on pitch four to the top. If as the book indicates the party belays directly from the top of the massive flake, I think there is a large detached block sitting on top of that flake that would provide the only anchor, but it might be questionable whether this block would hold a long fall. But in that case, there would have been a bigger rockfall than was my impression from the reports. I personally have never been comfortable enough with the big block to belay from the spot where the book indicates. Instead, I always traverse left a ways to a medium-sized tree that provides a bomber anchor that is part of the White Maiden, and I just deal with a little rope drag.

I have always finished the route going right, up the remainder of Super Pooper to the top, which although it offers little decent protection is relatively easy climbing. Because of this, and based on the reports, my feeling is that they probably did not fall from the final pitch, but from the third.

Remember that this is only speculation, and that perhaps more evidence will be discovered that suggests a different scenario. In any case, in my own and others’ defense, I feel that speculation and attempts to try to explain such an accident can be helpful in getting through something like this. It is also helpful, I think, as a learning experience that in some small way attempts to vindicate such a tragic situation and may also better prepare those who are interested in climbing the route in the future. It reminds us that the crux pitch on a route may not necessarily be the most dangerous. It reminds us once again to really beef up our belay anchors, and to climb conservatively when we are trad leading, and in the end it suggests that in climbing there are situations that are just plain dangerous regardless of the care we take.

It is easy for experienced climbers to become complacent when setting belay anchors. We usually only think about being able to catch normal leader falls in which gear does not pull, which are short, and which involve minimal upward pull. Having said that, I don't think that the climbers would have been necessarily complacent in setting an anchor here. The truth is, I’ve seen plenty of gear-based belay anchors out there that would be very hard-pressed to hold a factor two fall, not always because the placements were necessarily bad, but because the rock itself in which they were placed was inadequate. In fact, considering the shock force generated by such a fall, I wouldn't be surprised at gear breaking in such a situation. Although I know it is a touchy subject, I think that this pitch on this route is a very good candidate for the installation of bolts at the belay and perhaps at least one mid-pitch. In any case, I feel that a factor two fall on such a gear anchor as I have described would most likely always be catastrophic.

Finally, I want to leave the technical rationalizing and express the depth of my feeling about what a good friend and jolly guy I knew Dave to be, and also what a truly sensitive and good person Kelly seemed to me to be, the couple times I met him. I will miss both dearly, but instead of continuing to be sad over their deaths, I'm going to try to celebrate their lives.

vivalargo

Oct 22, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #83 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Friends,

I think Howdyjeff's thoughts are instructive. In talking about this accident last night with Jack Marshall (both of us grew up climbing at Tahquitz), we reflected how the top part of most all the routes around The Step are sketchy, bottoming and weird to protect, and we concluded that adding a belay bolt at key places is probably a good idea. Jack also wondered if at least part of the failed belay involved old fixed pins, which tend to be bunk.

A lesson here is that all belays must be able to withstand a force 2 fall, and every leader needs to get a bombproof piece of pro in off the belay. Anything less and it's a crapshoot if someone comes off. This has always been, and will always be the case with any and all climbs, regardless if they are at Tahquitz or the Valley or wherever. And if such pro is not obtainable, it's time to slap in a few bolts.

Again, condolences to all involved.

JL

socalclimber

Oct 22, 2003, 4:37 PM
Post #84 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One other observation concerning Howyjeff's comments, just because the rating is "easy" doesn't mean the climbing is. 5.7, 5.8, 5.9 or 5.anything doesn't always mean much. The scariest lead I ever did was with Tucker Tech and Grant Hiskes. I lead a 5.6 choss pile Tucker had said he soloed. Now I know why. I wished I had done the same. The gear was all garbage, so was the rock for that matter. Dave Mayville (sp?) told me the scariest lead he ever did was on a 5.7 at the Gunks. Don't get complacent with ratings. It's climbing, it's dangerous.

Robert

ride

Oct 22, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #85 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rosarie and Art, I'm sorry you had to witness that accident, stay strong learn from it, try not to let it freak you out.

I hate it when someone gets hurt or worse climbing, but tis the nature of the beast.
We fight gravity for fun, sometimes it wins.

At least these guys went out doing something they absolutly loved, I can only hope that I at least die doing something that I love and not in a car accident or something....

my condolences to everyone involved.

annandjese

Oct 22, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #86 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DAVE AND KELLY WERE TWO OF MY BEST FRIENDS AND CLIMBING PARTNERS. HAVING KNOWN DAVE FOR OVER 15 YEARS AND KELLY FOR OVER 5, I AM TOTALLY DEVASTATED OVER WHAT HAPPENED. I THINK JEFFS SPECULATION ON WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY, I'M SURE DAVE LEAD THE HARDER PITCHES AND LET KELLY LEAD THE EASY ONES, AS DAVE HAS DONE WITH ME OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS.

MY WIFE ANN AND I LOVED THOSE TWO DEARLY, AFTER ALL WE INTRODUCED THEM TO EACK OTHER. WE ARE FILLED WITH WONDERFUL MEMORIES OF DAVE AND KELLY ESPECIALLY WHEN I THINK OF ALL OUR TRIPS TO JOSHUA TREE. BOTH OF THEM WERE OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUALS AND A GREAT LOSS TO THE ENTIRE WORLD. I WILL MISS THEM DEARLY.

MY DEEPEST SYMPATHIES TO FLORABEL, NICHOLAS, THE ENTIRE KELLOGG FAMILY, THE TUFO FAMILY, AND TO ALL THE DEAR FRIENDS THAT LOVE THEM AS MUCH AS I DO.

JESSE AND ANN CASTRO

howdyjeff

Oct 22, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #87 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

John,

Thanks for the support of a true master. I think it's safe to say that both Dave and I were inspired by and probably learned more from you about preserving our lives while climbing than anywhere else, except perhaps on the rock itself.

In response to one of your points, I don't recall there being any fixed belay pitons on the route since I've climbed it.

Jeff

granitegod

Oct 22, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #88 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't get complacent with ratings. It's climbing, it's dangerous.

Robert

So true. See recent post about near accident at City of Rocks involving two AMGA guides.

Recently I reached the top of a 5.8 pitch and found my tie in know was not tied correctly. I had double checked it....but I was just in such a hurry, I didn't notice.

Experience counts when placing gear, but aint worth nothing if you're lazy, complacent, or don't pay attention.

Does anyone know if there will be a fund set up for Dave's kids? Did Kelly have wife and/or kids? I would be happy to contribute. Please PM, or post new thread.

annandjese

Oct 22, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #89 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THE IMAGE SENT OF ONE OF THE CLIMBERS IS HOW I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER DAVE KELLOGG. MY HUSBANDS HIGH SCHOOL BUDDY AND CLIMBING PARTNER HAS ALWAYS HAD AN ADVENTUROUS, FUN LOVING SPIRIT. KELLY TUFO WAS ALSO A DEAR FRIEND OF OURS AND ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR RECENTLY REMODELING AND CREATING OUR BEAUTIFUL NEW SALON. A TRUE CRAFTSMAN WITH A GENUINE LOVE FOR THE OUTDOORS.
IMAGES AND MEMORIES OF BOTH OF OUR FRIENDS ARE SO FRESH IN OUR MINDS. THERE ARE SO MANY STORIES TO SHARE. I CAN'T POSSIBLY WRITE THEM ALL.
I THINK OF FLORABEL AND NICOLAS-DAVE'S WIFE AND SON. AND SQUIGGY-KELLY'S DOG AND COMPANION FOR 7 YEARS. I WISH I COULD HUG ALL OF THEM. THEY SAY TIME WILL HEAL BUT AT THE MOMENT THAT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE.
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR CORRESPONDECE. IT'S SUCH A COMFORT KNOWING SO MANY PEOPLE CARE SO MUCH.

~ANN CASTRO

walter

Oct 22, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #90 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff, thanks for some really well-informed and well-thought-out analyses.

In thinking about possible scenarios, is it also possible that Dave set up the suspect anchor you describe at the top of the second pitch, Kelly might have fallen following the crux, and everything ripped? This would still leave a few pieces between them on the rope, but in this case the gear arrangement on their harnesses would be different. Much less force than a big lead fall, but still a possiblity.

It would be infomative to inspect that shallow flake at the base of the third pitch - if it's still there.

My sympathies to everyone who knew Dave and Kelly.

ernie

Oct 22, 2003, 7:54 PM
Post #91 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went up Tuesday morning to see if I could piece together any clues. Markus Jolliff and I climbed the step on 6/9/03. It does have a loose looking scar at the same hight as the le toit roof, but that area looks the same as it has for about 6 years. I did notice that the red sling thats been hanging just below the crux of le toit (right before the lip)is now either broken or untied. It would be hard to be off route on le toit (12a) the moves getting up to the crux are a bit harder than anything on the step. I'll go up again on Thursday with a rope to look for more clues. If I find anything I'll post it on Friday a.m. It would he helpful to know what gear was on the rope and in what order and what gear was attatched to the belayer.

Peace to all involved
Ernie Ale

roseraie

Oct 22, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #92 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The anchor was on the belayer, who fell second. We are pretty sure the belayer was Kelly. I guess he could have been belaying from the top, with Dave following the pitch, but they would not have weighted the anchor nearly enough to pull it if that were the scenario.

They fell from too high up to have been on the second pitch or even the base of the third. Based on Jeff's information, my guess would be that the leader took a fall on the fourth pitch and pulled the flake that held the belay. If the men were swinging leads, with Dave, the stronger climber, leading the crux pitch, he would have been on lead again on the fourth.

Art and I most definitely heard very loud rockfall, it is what drew our attention to the area in time to witness the fall.

And Ernie, the two men fell from above where could be seen from the ground, so I doubt the sling you spotted was related to the accident. Art and I were about two pitches up on Angel's Fright, and they fell from above where we could see.

I hope some of this information helps everyone in their quest to figure out this horrible accident. I'm sorry I don't have more information about the gear on the line. I am waiting somewhat impatiently for the RMRU report.

Meg

annandjese

Oct 22, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #93 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I WOULD LIKE TO SEND AN IMAGE OF KELLY TUFO. WHAT IS THE EMAIL ADDRESS SO THAT I CAN PROPERLY SEND THIS?

Partner artm

Oct 22, 2003, 8:29 PM
Post #94 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We were actually on the 3rd pitch of Angels Fright heading for Lunch Ledge. We bypassed the first 2 short pitches by doing Human Fright instead. So we were higher than it sounds. Meg later pointed out to me the area that she first spotted Dave and Kelly falling, which was around the arch leading to the roof of Le Toit or near the roof itself.

socalclimber

Oct 22, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #95 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rosarie,

Did you by chance see what the anchor consisted of??? BTW, hats off to you both for handling a really bad situation very well.

Again, my condolences to the friends and families. Sounds like two really great people!

Robert

helene

Oct 22, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #96 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word

anothertucsonclimber

Oct 22, 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #97 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to the friends and families of this tragedy. I have read this entire post and they seem like two great guys who will be missed. I'm sorry that I did not have the chance to ever meet them.

Dale

Partner artm

Oct 22, 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #98 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Helene and Adam
Thanks for everything you two did that day.
Great thanks especially to Adam for being the first to reach Dave or Kelly and staying with him the entire time as the rest of us attempted to locate the other man.

miker

Oct 22, 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #99 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Condolences to all involved.

Kudos to Art and Meg and everyone else involved for all you have done and are doing.

It seems so much more personal, even though I didn't know Dave or Kelly, I did know the rock and feel like I was there.

Much Sadness

miker

mtnrsq

Oct 23, 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #100 of 221 (90951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would encourage people to NOT, I repeat NOT climb all over the route. RMRU and others doing follow-up need to have an undisturbed "scene". This IS being checked out.

Leave gear in-situ, etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook