RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

swollenmember

Oct 23, 2003, 3:42 PM
Post #1 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

need advice on a camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, im in the market for a new camera and just dont know what to buy. I know that i want a digital, with a nice lenes, a big memory card, lots of megapixels, and spend around 600 - 700$ american but i dont know what kind. If any one can steer me in the right direction or just give me personal experiences with various cameras that would be very helpful. So far I have looked at the canon EOS digital rebel and the EOS 10D digital
thanks

tecais

Oct 23, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Re: need advice on a camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Ken Rockwell's site:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/buydigicam.htm
Lot's of sensible, practical advice. His quick recommendation: Canon A70.

omenbringer

Oct 23, 2003, 5:17 PM
Post #3 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

both the cameras you mentioned are very good. Canon is coming out with great digitals. If you are looking for more professional features go with the EOS 10D otherwise you should be fine with the EOS digital rebel. Both are compatible with the complete line of lens. As far as lens look for a 35-80 zoom and a 80-200 zoom and you should be ready for about anything. When picking lens go with the fastest glass ie f 1.4 or 2 try to stay away from anything slower. If you have a camera store near by you may be able to purchase these at a substantial discount used. As for memory cards go as large as you can try to go up around 512 megs if you can. They may cost a little bit more but you will be able to shoot in the RAW or TIFF format and you will have much better photos which you will be able to do a lot more with afterward. In either case these are going to cost you probably around $1500.00 but you can buy them in stages.

pico23

Oct 24, 2003, 6:02 AM
Post #4 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Check out Ken Rockwell's site:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/buydigicam.htm
Lot's of sensible, practical advice. His quick recommendation: Canon A70.

After alot of research finding a camera that gave full creative control for a reasonable price the A70 looks like a great camera. YOu can by a filter attachment to add on standard camera filters and at $250 it's a bargain. My wife should be getting one within the next few weeks. Like all digitals under $2000 it lacks true wide angle but it's got a reasonably fast lens and tons of features.

I don't think $600-700 will get you a digital SLR. My advice would be to spend the $250 on the A70 and put the rest towards a DSLR in a year or so when the new models come out.

straightedgeteen

Nov 12, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #5 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word NIKON ! the best type of camera in my opinion i would never buy a nother camera

renobdarb

Nov 12, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #6 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One word NIKON ! the best type of camera in my opinion i would never buy a nother camera

word.

littleschmee

Nov 13, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #7 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is a really good site with in-depth reviews of a lot of cameras.

My camera is an Olympus C-5050Z, not an SLR but it does have full manual features and a f1.8 lens. It's within your price range, 5 megapixels, and takes 3 different kinds of memory cards (you can have 2 in at a time). The only problem I've noticed is that night shots are somewhat noisy - other than that, I love it.

kriso9tails

Nov 14, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #8 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My only real issue with Canon digital is the CMOS. It seems to give noise in the shadow values. If you have Canon lenses already, or you're just a big fan of the company, then it has its advantages, but I've found so far that the Nikons I've used have performed much better.

I like the Nikon D100 and D1X, but what I really want to try out is the Fuji S2 Pro.

dsafanda

Nov 14, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #9 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my D100 very much but it's not really a $600.-$700 camera as requested in the original post. B&H is selling at $1,799.95. Unfortuneately, I think that the budget mentioned in the orginal post is a bit shy of a worthwhile digital SLR. You could look for used equipment or wait a couple of more years. I'd start investing in good glass(either Nikon or Canon) and wait for the price of digital SLR's to drop.

bobtheboulderer

Nov 16, 2003, 4:06 AM
Post #10 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As far as lens look for a 35-80 zoom and a 80-200 zoom and you should be ready for about anything. When picking lens go with the fastest glass ie f 1.4 or 2 try to stay away from anything slower.

I know you were trying to help but I seriously don't think I have ever seen a zoom with a 1.4

bspisak

Nov 16, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #11 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's yet another good site:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Partner drrock

Nov 16, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just bought a Sony DSC-P10 after a lot of research. 5.0 and very compact and lightweight, my primary concern along with crystal clear shots. A little over $400 but you'll want another battery and extra memory card, so factor that into your price total (with any camera). For $100 more you can get the V1, I think it's called, has a Carl Zeiss lens but weighs a little more and is a little bulkier. Friends of mine have Nikons and swear by them so you wouldn't go wrong there.

You need to decide if you want detachable lenses or stick with the one the camera comes with.

wiese22

Nov 16, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #13 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more camera to check out, is the FujiFinepix S5000. Great, great dig. SLR camera. No point in me telling you about it, check out the reviews. My only downpoint is size, a little bulky when in the mind frame of climbing and caring it. I climb longer routes with hydration plater/pack and the camera fits nicely. Some of my good points is the camera has 35mm lens adapter, for several additional lenses and filters available The megapix is only 3.1, but the technology says it reads twice that effectiveness(don't full understand how). I have had some large, large reprints with superp quality. But buying my camera and doing the same research as yourself I have learned to check out other individuals cameras later on, and I have not found one the compares to this one. But overall, from climbing to everyday use you can't go wrong. Good luck.

sandbag

Nov 16, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #14 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check it out:
http://www.photographyreview.com/35mm/Sigma/PRD_102977_3105crx.aspx

harrisha

Nov 17, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #15 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for 35 mm digital cameras don't like many of the conditions your likely to encounter as a climber ie. cold, wet, etc. get a good SLR the kind you can change lenses on with a 120 zoom

karlbaba

Nov 17, 2003, 3:01 AM
Post #16 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have to ask yourself what your tradeoff between technical perfection and practicality is. Digital SLRs are heavy and bulky compared to smaller Digital prosumer point and shoots with manual features. You miss tons of pictures if you're tempted to leave the camera in the car.

I use a tiny Olmpus D-40 4 megapixel camera that's probably available as a refurb now for $265. Fit's in one hand, and that's all I need to take pictures with one hand while the other one is on the rope. A digital SLR might take better shots, but I've sold my images to books and mags with the quality that I get.

Staying one step behind cutting edge will save you more than a bundle. You'll be upgrading your skills at the same time your improving you gear

Peace

karl

tweek

Nov 17, 2003, 3:03 AM
Post #17 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may be a good or bad time to ask the question are you 1)climbing to take pictures or 2) taking pictures while you climb. If you take pictures while you climb I would suggest something small and light that you will actually take along with you (maybe even in a chalk bag :wink: .) Both the Digital Rebel and 10D will fall under the climbing to take pictures catagory.

I own a wonderful (albeit not digital) SLR that gets used exponentially less than my light, easy to carry, pretty good picture taking digital.

Best of luck.

pico23

Nov 18, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #18 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
get a good SLR the kind you can change lenses on with a 120 zoom

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you can probably change the lens on every SLR, hence the name.

But harrisha is right about climbing not being the friendliest place for a $1000+ electronic camera.

Kodak makes a nice weatherproof Digital. Not sure if its still made but it would be well suited to climbing and other outdoor sports.

ericandlucie

Dec 1, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #19 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been usin a compact digital CANON S45, then an S50 for quite q while. I've selected those models after extensive research and specifically to take pitcures while climbing. These cameras are quite small, yet leave little to be desired in sharpness, zoom capability, and manual overrides of every kind (there's even a FULL MANUAL mode, as well as aperture priority, shutter priority and the like). The color rendition of CANON cameras is I think better than anything out there (I've compared lots of test pictures available on the web).
The camera is also simple enough to operate with one hand (while belaying). Appears to be reasonably tough, although I've broken the display LCD on the S45 on a snow climb, which is why I now have the S50. Note that I would recommend the S45 if you can still find one. It has 4.5 Mpxls, more than enough, and I think the sensor has better colors than that of the S50. It will be cheaper too, being an older model. The S50 goes for $600 at Office Depot; less on the web.
If you'd like, check out our photos on our web site: http://www.ericandlucie.com

psych

Dec 2, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #20 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a Digital Rebel and couldn't be happier with it, it's low light picture quality is astounding...shooting in 800ISO gives little to no grain in shadows or blue sky, 1600 is even viable in most cases! Unreal...

Image quality is very high, same CMOS censor as the 10d, just less feature sets which you really don't need that badly unless you're really serious about earning some money from your camera. Comes with a lens, that's a BIG thing. And with the 1.6x factor of the chip/lens you're looking at around a 36-88mm zoom on it, which is alround pretty nice.

For under 2 grand Canadian, it can't be beat that's for sure. Durable too, though you'd think it being plastic that it wouldn't be. Just don't throw it around too much...no climbing shots from it yet because it's too cold to do anything involving touching rock. :-)
Mike...

azeini

Dec 2, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #21 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beside good reviews, technical details and features, cameras are also about personal taste and your needs. I need to hold a camera in my hand to be abel to decide.
I recently bought a Canon PowerShot S50 and I love it. I was first looking at the digital rebel, because I would have been able to use my other Canon lenses, but then I found that it just was too big and heavy to have it with me while outdoors or hiking.
The PS S50 is small, feels robust, is not heavy, offers 5 mega pixels and offers a good control over the features, including full manual. I found this to be the best combination and it perfectly fits my needs. And, of course, the pictures are great.

gblauer

Dec 2, 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #22 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my nikon coolpix 5700. It has many features (had to spend 8 hours with the manual) and the picture quality is great. It is slightly more than your price range, although I think the price is coming down due to a new model release.

scubasnyder

Dec 3, 2003, 12:23 AM
Post #23 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I scuba dive, and climb, and ive noticed one thing, NIKON i think they are the best.

kingman

Dec 3, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #24 of 24 (3772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="scubasnyder"]I scuba dive, and climb, and ive noticed one thing, NIKON i think they are the best.
Amen

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook