RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

grigriese

Oct 23, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Williamson
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Someone came up to me at work (non-climber) and mentioned that he heard that they will be closing the Angeles Crest Forest due to fire danger. I know this was done last year and was wondering if anyone knows if a closure is already scheduled.

Thanks!

moabbeth

Oct 23, 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Re: Williamson [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just called the Forestry service and no, there are no closures. And no closures anticipated *at this time*.

She said the only open fire allowed up there is in forest service campgrounds and portable gas stoves for camping outside of the campgrounds proper. The forest is still open for all recreation....climbing, camping, etc.

But should a major fire break out like the Williams fire did last year, that could all change so all you Sportos heading to Williamson, careful with the flame up there :wink: !

moabbeth

Oct 23, 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, one other word of warning: a red flag warning has been issued for the local (SoCal) mountains and passes for the entire weekend. They're expecting warm temps, low humidity and gusty Santa Ana winds this weekend. So if you are heading up to the mountains (Williamson, Tahquitz, hell even Echo or anywhere else surrounded by brush) be VERY careful with any types of flame (ciggies, campfires, etc). All it will take is one big local forest fire to cause the USFS to consider closing the forests to recreational actitivities thru fire season (usually technically ends the week after Thanksgiving).

grigriese

Oct 23, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Beth. I should know better than to listen to a non-climber co-worker but they did close access early in the season last year so I thought it might happen again this year. He probably heard about the red flag warning and took it one step further.

I checked online but couldn't find out any info. Thanks for responding.

jt512

Oct 23, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh, one other word of warning: a red flag warning has been issued for the local (SoCal) mountains and passes for the entire weekend. They're expecting warm temps, low humidity and gusty Santa Ana winds this weekend.

Yeah. There are currently 4 wildfires burning within sight of my office. It's surreal. I've never seen anything like it.

-Jay

moabbeth

Oct 24, 2003, 12:33 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks Beth. I should know better than to listen to a non-climber co-worker but they did close access early in the season last year so I thought it might happen again this year. He probably heard about the red flag warning and took it one step further.

I checked online but couldn't find out any info. Thanks for responding.

No problemo. I work in tv news here in LA so I'm spending my entire shift monitoring and chasing the fires and gathering info. There's a ton of spot fires that have broken out today alone, luckily firefighters are making quick work of most of them, but the Lytle Creek one is getting worse, they evac'ed the town.

Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed big time for the mountains around Arrowhead/Big Bear and Idyllwild. There's so many dead trees up there that a fire fueled by Santa Ana winds in those areas could be catastrophic. Hopefully all mountain-goers this weekend will be very cautious with using flame outdoors.

scottcody

Oct 24, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah. There are currently 4 wildfires burning within sight of my office. It's surreal. I've never seen anything like it.

-Jay

Where is your office?

Dam I miss cali :cry: As silly as it sounds... those fires have always been a kind of weird reminder of the power of nature... kinda like the El Nino storms
But hey we have T-storms like you wouldn't belive out here.
Of course they don't kill people either.

Stay safe

moabbeth

Oct 24, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Where is your office?

The heart of Hollywood. Sunset Blvd next to the 101 fwy. I have wonderful transvestite prostitutes I drive past when I get off work at night.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook