RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

jt512

Oct 24, 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

How would you like to proceed?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We're up to about 20 members, about half of whom have posted introductions. If you're in the other half, post up!

How would you folks like to proceed? In the original thread in the Ladies Room we talked about doing exercises over the weekend and discussing the results during the week. We could do Q and A sessions on topics in the book we feel we don't fully understand. Those are just a couple of ideas. I'm sure you have more, so what are some things that you would like to work on or discuss?

-Jay

lou_dale

Oct 24, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Re: How would you like to proceed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm all for working on the exercises or issues.......i can't climb every weekend like a lot of people - at least not outdoors - but i can climb at home in our bouldering cave. we just put up micro holds and intermediate holds for training. when i do get out, i can work on whatever the group chooses or personal choices - i'm up for most anything.

after we (dale and i) had our two day warrior course with arno, together - we pretty well nailed what our weak areas were, if you want to call them that.

dale has to work through chaos - he is a very strong leader and climber but has concerns about taking those falls. and - when you aren't focusing on what's before you, there goes the leak! it was pointed out to him that the small hold is scarey until you make that clip - then suddenly, it feels secure. same hold.......what's changed?

i have two issues - i get wiggy when i fall and have a tendency to overgrip to compensate. the other is trusting in myself.....

so any issues that we have that we need to work on, or any questions and answers - i'm all for it.

i feel that if folks don't have the book yet, they should get it and from having taken the course, if i can share anything that may be helpful - at least what we learned about ourselves - i'm happy to share that also.

i will say, i'm glad the group is growing and is diverse in ages and styles.

iamthewallress

Oct 27, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK...I'm ready to play now. :wink:

I think starting threads dealing with the different principles (perhaps by chapter) of the "Warrior's Way" might be a good way to group themes, although there will be a lot cross over no doubt.

I'll be adding one later when I get a break at work.

Melissa

dalguard

Oct 28, 2003, 10:56 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to make a suggestion that we try to avoid numbers where possible, substituting relational phrases like "several numbers below my leading limit" or "harder than anything I'd ever tried." I think the use of explicit numbers may make some people feel intimidated or as though their issues aren't relevent. The one thing I've learned from my slow crawl through the grades is that it's the exact same challenge at every level and the fight never ends.

robmcc

Oct 28, 2003, 2:10 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have a problem with numbers, and believe me, nobody's going to be impressed if I post mine. :P

Consider it part of the whole ego bit. If someone can't handle the fact that some people climb harder than they do, and that's true for *everyone*, they need to work on that.

calliope

Oct 30, 2003, 4:20 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind numbers. People should be proud of their accomplishments. I'm sure my struggles with a 5.6 or V0 are going to be somewhat similar to a more experienced climber's struggles with their threshold.

inflight

Dec 3, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OK...I'm ready to play now. :wink:

I think starting threads dealing with the different principles (perhaps by chapter) of the "Warrior's Way" might be a good way to group themes, although there will be a lot cross over no doubt.

I'll be adding one later when I get a break at work.

Melissa

The ideas in the text are very specific and organized. The forum should reflect that way of thinking from the onset.

As iamthwallress said, I think keeping things organized by the principles of the text/ chapter will allow participants to efficiently look for relevant topics of their choice even though there will be many relative tangents.

Testimonials and specific questions relevant to a chapter or principle can then be posted in the appropriate area for discussions and resolutions.

We owe it to ourselves to keep things organized so as to get the most out of this experience.

I see this forum different than a community discussion forum in that it is goal oriented and intended to be a reflection of our work in progress to a refined way of thinking that is born or nurtured from the climbing experience which then proliferates to other aspects of our lives. And this whole transformation and state of being is worth sharing so as to inspire others desiring the same goal in their own way.

I hope I do not sound adamant or critical but positive and constructive.

jt512

Dec 3, 2003, 7:56 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Testimonials and specific questions relevant to a chapter or principle can then be posted in the appropriate area for discussions and resolutions.

We owe it to ourselves to keep things organized so as to get the most out of this experience.

We don't yet have the benefit of hierarchical forums. Supposedly, it is a future enhancement. When (?) it gets implemented, we could have one sub-forum per chapter. Until then, one way of keeping things organized would be to include a chapter number in each topic heading. Of course, some topics will cross chapters; afterall, the ultimate goal is to integrate the principles. Such topics could either be referenced to multiple chapters, or could just be indicated as "integrated," or something like that. Comments?

-Jay

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook