Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbing? Individual Act or Group Activity
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

achilles

Feb 18, 2002, 10:14 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Climbing? Individual Act or Group Activity  (Africa: South_Africa)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there all you shiny happy people!

I discovered this site today! Way to go SA!

I would like to share a thought with y'all:

It occurred to me that the way I see climbing is as an individualistic endeavor undertaken by like-minded people. Although you honour, respect (and in some cases) love your climbing partner, it is still about you. Its personal, intense and great fun!

When you are climbing there is however no (or should not) be place for hope, fear, love, hate, paranoia? or any other form of emotion. It is a personal communion between you and the rock.

The climbing I see involving large groups are often poorly undertaken with limited equipment and a general sense of recklesness. The personal connection with the rock seems to be lacking.

I may be wrong.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Rock-a-bye!

daisuke

Feb 19, 2002, 3:13 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Climbing? Individual Act or Group Activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

--This topic has been moved to the general forum since it does not constitute a regional affair--

Welcome to the ever growing community, Achilles! please post your general questions in the general forum, the regional forum is for use regarding questions of routes and climbing areas only.

have fun, there are many good people on this site

rocmonkey

Feb 19, 2002, 8:26 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

achilles

Good to have you here. Great that you also boost SA.
I agree with your opinion, in fact, I try to fight just that. People who reckon rockclimbing is cool and then decide to try is out. Then they come up against the always present and ominous Gear Prices.

Then they decide to go ahead with the least possible amount of gear.
After I had done the applicable courses (rock climbing & abseiling/repelling) I realised that the guy who got me into the sport and who took my on my first outing did not know Jack s--- about safety and technique. I nearly have a heart attack every time I think back at what we did and how we did it.
So my opinion, sadly I must agree, is the same as yours.

breathe stone
R C

achilles

Feb 21, 2002, 9:12 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocmonkey

Thanks for the reply! I guess its just us trios, couples, loners and soloists then. At least its safer than a gang-effort.
Rock-a-bye!

xen_monkey

Feb 21, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that climbing is an individual activity, but only while you're on the wall. There you're focused and calm, but once you're off its very social. You're at the crag with your freinds sharing water, powerbars, whatever. Though there may be no emotion on the wall, once you come off there's more than enough room emotion such as hate, hope and paranoia. Because once you're off the rock your free to hate that move you can't make. Sometimes its your only motivation for getting back on. Your fingers are raw, your toes hurt, but god dammit your going to send it if it kills you. So you throw yourself onto that wall like a lamb being sent to the slaughter , but once you're on you're calm again.

skully

Feb 21, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nicely put Xen Monkey.

My first thought was “While you are on the wall its you alone, an individual thing”. But, your partner is just as important as the rock when you think about it. Partners provide; moral support, comfort, education, interaction, and of course, they keep you from falling to your death.

If they had a new invention that allowed me to climb independently from my partner I would not buy it. Part of rock climbing (one of the greatest parts) is the comradely and community of rock climbers, as well as the support and the trust of your partner. I agree that climbing in large groups is no fun. But, if you had the ability to climb safely without a partner would you? Not me, I love having a partner that’s what makes it fun. I love seeing other climbers around me. Being able to grow and learn with others is extraordinary.

achilles

Feb 22, 2002, 11:37 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi skully!
Partners are important and I agree that they do form part of any climbing activity. What scares me though are large groups of people. Rock-a-bye!

downshift

Feb 23, 2002, 4:14 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well put Xen... Totally argree..

I go climbing with many different friends and there is a definate social aspect. But, once on the wall I'm in a zone all my own.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook