RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

robmcc

Oct 25, 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Half way there
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As you know, I planned today to run my first half marathon. You're all closely following my posts, hanging on my every word, right? :lol:

Well, I did it. I managed to run the whole 13.1 miles in 2:20 and change, which was slightly under my goal. The race itself was fairly uneventful. Hillier than I expected given its bililng as "flatter and faster".

The best part of the race was the unexpected arrival of a certain hot climber chick at mile 4 who I didn't expect to see until the very end of the race. To say the least, a very welcome surprise. Thanks for making the day, both the race and after, so much more fun than it would otherwise have been. Funny how that always happens. :wink: I had such a good time that even my bout of S.B.N.S doesn't seem so bad.

The future path seems clear. 26.2, here we come! I even found myself thinking as we drove around afterward how a marathon is only twice as far. It can't be that bad. :roll:

rogueclimber

Oct 25, 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Re: Half way there [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your not careful you'll end up doing 100 mile ultra runs like Catra! :D
CONGRATULATIONS!

sbclimber

Oct 25, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It can't be that bad.
It is that bad. Wait...worse, much much worse.

I ran the LA marathon and have never really fealt like running since.

diana

Oct 26, 2003, 1:57 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are so welcome. As I told you before, it was my pleasure. :P

robmcc

Oct 26, 2003, 4:57 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If your not careful you'll end up doing 100 mile ultra runs like Catra! :D
CONGRATULATIONS!

I'd absolutely consider ultramarathons. I already have triathlon aspirations. The cycling I think I'll be able to handle, but swimming has never been something I've been good at. I won't drown, but I don't go very fast, either.

Anyway, one step at a time. I need to do a 20 mile run to convince myself I can do the 26.2. Then I need to do the 26.2. Realism argues that I should say I should try a 20 to see IF I can do it.

Just in case anybody wonders what this has to do with climbing, running is part of my training for climbing. :)

roughster

Oct 26, 2003, 5:00 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grats Rob! Definitely follow up on that tri bug. I used to just "run" and thought it was great, but tris take endurance style events to a new level of both challenge as well as reward.

robmcc

Oct 26, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will. I need to get my bike fixed up, which is at best an entry lever racer, but I'm not shelling out $1,000+ for something better. I'll need to get access to a large enough pool, too.

That tri.gif is excellent, btw.

charley

Oct 26, 2003, 12:55 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing I learnt the hard way was in making the transition from half mar. to marathon was to do the long runs needed and everything else just short and easy. I did my fastest 10k and a very hard hill run all while training for the marathon. I did the 15,17,and20 mile run but ended up with stress fracture and did not get to run the marathon. Running went downhill from then.

roughster

Oct 27, 2003, 1:23 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I will. I need to get my bike fixed up, which is at best an entry lever racer, but I'm not shelling out $1,000+ for something better. I'll need to get access to a large enough pool, too.

Yeah just fix up your old bike. For sprints with bikes around or under 15 Miles I have literally seen people using beach cruisers. It was awesome :)

As for the pool, definately helps, but several people I know just use regular pools, it just means more back and forth hehe :) Another option is a local water way. Get a cheap wetsuit and swim close to shore in a designated swimming area. I prefer open water swims ANY DAY over pool swimming. I fairly routinely drive 40 miles one way to swim in a local lake.

In reply to:
That tri.gif is excellent, btw.

I can't claim to have made it (wish I could) but I thought it was awesome so snagged it for my sig. :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook