RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

roughster

Oct 26, 2003, 5:47 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

1st Relay Running experience :)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was contemplating doing a local 1/2 marathon (the course is the exact same 1/2 marathon I will do twice for CaliforniaMan) but then my boss asked me if I wanted to run the long leg on their relay since the other person dropped out.

I figured, eh *shrug*, might as well and this way I score brownie points with the boss (Jerry) :) I figured with a strong last leg which was 5.3 miles, and being in the co-ed division we could stand a chance at placing since my boss runs around 7 min/miles, and my other co-worker (Kris) is pretty decent herself.

I have had a bad rash of no sleep lately. Don't know what it is but I have been waking up at 3AM like clockwork every non-work night (I normally work graves). Pisses me off to no end, but also makes me very tired. Despite two Tylenol PM last night, sure enough,3 AM Ding ding ding wide awake. I left the bedroom and came out and stretched for about a 1/2 hour, then went back to sleep thankfully.

Woke up at the God aweful time of 4:45 AM, made cofee, stretched some more, then drove to Folsom ~ 1 hour away. Got their a little early, but didn't mind since I didn't have to deal with the quickly developing traffic jam at the registration site. Met Kris and Jerry soon enough, and made arrangements and Kris's husband dropped off Jerry at the 2nd exchange, and me at the final. The plan was he would then drive back to relay #1, pick up Kris, then pick up Jerry, and try to beat me to the finish line.

I warmed up by jogging about a mile down a dirt road, and then walked a few hundred yards up the American River Bike Trail (site of event). The lack of sleep over the last few days seemed to have sapped my leg strength and also because I didn't take any time off from my regular tri-workout routine. It felt like a long time, but eventually they started calling out the 1st relay teams.

1....2....3....4....hmmm I was wondering where the hell my teammate was hehe :) Mid stretch, they called out my teams bib # and I entered the hand off zone. The 4th place team had left about 4 mins earlier, and the third place team about 8. I knew if I hauled ass I could catch the 4th place team since I only needed to make up about 45 secs per mile. The 3rd place team would be pretty damn hard to catch with me having to make up over a minute a mile.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was it was really hard to pace myself. The event did not allow headphones (which I normally run with) and since I was starting 7.8 miles into the race, everyone was running slow. Because I had fresh legs I was blowing by everyone but there was no one to "white rabbit" going roughly my speed. I decided to go near full sprint until I saw the 4th place team member, and then pace off of them while closing the gap. I caught up really fast...I mean really fast! Much faster than I expected. I closed the gap and moved on thinking that maybe I could catch #3 team.

Except...once I passed the 4th place team I was just blowing by people with no one else running my speed. Several times I could feel myself let up, and had to mentally kick it in. It was frustrating because I could always sustain a faster cadence everytime I knew I slowed down, it was just a mental lapse thing :( Another thing that sucked is that there weren't any mile markers for the 1st 3 miles of my leg. This made pacing myself with my watch hard as well. Grrrr.....

Anyways, eventually I saw the 11 mile sign and started really kicking it in. I was passing people in droves and looking for a yellow bib number, but never saw any. I started the final 500 foot elevation incline to the finish line from the Walker Bridge to Rodeo Park. Started to hurt near the end from pushing it all at once and going up a pretty steep hill.

I crossed the finish line at 1:39:04 or something. I had run my 5.3 in just a smidge over 36 mins for a 6:48 min/mile average. I know I could have pushed harder had I known the course better, white rabbitted someone runnign close to my speed, had headphones with "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you" music blaring, or even if they would have had mile markers every mile like they said they were going to :( Heheh excuses excuses :lol:

Anyways, we placed 4th over all in the relay division and 2nd in the Co-Ed Division which means I have a nice little plaque to show for it :) I missed the 3rd place team by only 13 seconds!!!! So close! My boss immediately asked me to join their marathon relay team later in the year for the longest leg, heheh. I said sure, why not!

It was fun and though I missed the early football game, well worth it! And ironically after I got home, I had to go run 5 more miles to finish off my 10 mile run for today's training hehe :)

fullahsiffur

Oct 26, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Re: 1st Relay Running experience :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm.... How old are you?

onelung

Oct 26, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet indeed and Yea I can imagine the pacing issues.

Nice signature, It reminds me of the saying " A race you can walk away from isn't worth running"
not sure who said that, but its border line psycho.

I am doing my first relay soon its a 134 mile 6 person Team around the perimeter of Oahu.

MAybe you should negotiate a m-f 9 to 5 for your services?

Cheers,
bill

What are we always online sunday afternoon?

roughster

Oct 26, 2003, 7:47 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hmm.... How old are you?

catra

Oct 26, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks for the story..... I hate road running... . The road hurts to much. I only ran one 10k then jumped into Marathons, then ultras ......My favorite distance is 100 mile trail races..

Funny how your long run is my shortest run of the week.....Thats awesome that you run 10 miles...... My long run was 36 miles on Mt. Diablo in 95 degrees yesterday...

Hey you should skip the short stuff and try a trail ultra..... My husband did and got hooked....

Well good luck on your next race...

Cheers,
Catra

http://www.rocknrun.net

dynoguy

Oct 26, 2003, 8:57 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is this turning into "who trains harder thread" because if it is I got you all beat :lol: .

And hey catra what pace do you do those 36 mile runs at?
just remeber train slow, race slow :)

If you want to know what you are made of, what you really have to call upon, skip that ultra crap and become a miler. That is true competition.

jt512

Oct 26, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny. I figured the trip reports in this forum were supposed to be about climbing trips. I went to Disneyland once. It was fun. I wish I could bet "Small World" out of my head.

-Jay

roughster

Oct 26, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey thanks for the story..... I hate road running... . The road hurts to much. I only ran one 10k then jumped into Marathons, then ultras ......My favorite distance is 100 mile trail races..

Funny how your long run is my shortest run of the week.....Thats awesome that you run 10 miles...... My long run was 36 miles on Mt. Diablo in 95 degrees yesterday...

Hey you should skip the short stuff and try a trail ultra..... My husband did and got hooked....

Cheers,
Catra

Ahh Catra but did you also bike over 200 miles and swim over 4 miles during the course of the week ;) Tri training is definitely not for the meek. I sink in over 20 hours a week into training, though I am sure that Ultras also take considerable time for training as well.

But the ultra-marathon thing I have always found very interesting. If I can ever get to the point where my ITB is a none issue, I would definitely consider going for one. I love endurance events! I told my wife after I knock off my 1st full Ironman, I will probably look into doing some adventure racing as well. I like pushing myself to where I think I have nothing else to give, then digging a little deeper and finding "the secret stash" heheh :lol:

Jay:

In reply to:
Tell us about your latest and greatest adventure.

catra

Oct 26, 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dynoguy-

I never said i was fast..... Thats awesome you run track.... I ran a couple 24 hour track runs my best was 114 miles...

I run slower in training then racing.... It's how you train to run so far.....

Lets see it took me 7 hours and i climbed around 11,000ft....
I know thats way slow compared to what you run...

I just love being out in the wilderness and out on the trails..

Cheers,
Catra

robmcc

Oct 27, 2003, 4:04 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Funny. I figured the trip reports in this forum were supposed to be about climbing trips. I went to Disneyland once. It was fun. I wish I could bet "Small World" out of my head.

-Jay

You sound a little bitter. No hug from Mickey?

robmcc

Oct 27, 2003, 4:05 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and congrats on the run!

It's interesting that we're the same age. I've got some serious catching up to do. :)

koko

Oct 27, 2003, 7:42 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Relay races are definitely fun!!! When I lived in Nova Scotia we alayws did the RumRunners relay, which was set up like a stage race and covered 65 miles in a day with teams of 10 people each. Those were the good old days, wish I could do it again, maybe i will some day!
good run, nice signature.

all you ultra runners out there, have fun. my dad has done a few ultras and when i get older i will do some as well!!! long runs are way better than short races :D

jt512

Oct 27, 2003, 10:37 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Cheers,
Catra

Ahh Catra but did you also bike over 200 miles and swim over 4 miles during the course of the week ;) Tri training is definitely not for the meek. I sink in over 20 hours a week into training, though I am sure that Ultras also take considerable time for training as well.

But the ultra-marathon thing I have always found very interesting. If I can ever get to the point where my ITB is a none issue, I would definitely consider going for one. I love endurance events! I told my wife after I knock off my 1st full Ironman, I will probably look into doing some adventure racing as well. I like pushing myself to where I think I have nothing else to give, then digging a little deeper and finding "the secret stash" heheh :lol:

Jay:

In reply to:
Tell us about your latest and greatest adventure.

Aaron, I think it we can assume that that refers to rock climbing adventure. Relay races? That belongs in Community, where _all_ non-climbing-related posts go.

-Jay

catra

Oct 27, 2003, 10:53 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jay-

I have a lot of friends that do tri's.. It is a lot of training.... I train around 36 hours a week and thats just the running part... I weight train 3 days a week.... Yes the training hours are long.. I wouldn't do it if i didn't love it... Someday I want to get into adventure racing...

My favorite experiance was running a solo 100 miler in Yosemite last year.. I ran 57 miles then climbed NutCracker with my husband and finished off my run.....

As far as i know i'm the only person who has run 100 miles with a climb in the middle....

I think climbing and running are great... I love both..

Cheers,
Catra

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook