RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

treyr

Feb 19, 2002, 10:07 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2251 views)
Shortcut

sport vs trad gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I love bolts safety comes first. The gear is cheaper but very safe.

TROB

rck_climber

Feb 19, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2251 views)
Shortcut

sport vs trad gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess it just comes with time. I'm still a little tentative with my placements, but found a LOT more confidence after I'd placed some pieces and rested on them. I've still never (thankfully) had the distinct pleasure of falling on my own pro yet, but now that I've put all of my body weight on it, I'm much more confident in it.

The best part of placing pro is that you know without a doubt just how well that piece is. When you clip a bolt, you don't know who placed it, if they knew what they were doing, how well it's really in there, or how long it's been there - when you set your own, you take all of these factors out of the equation.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

Mick

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 21, 2002, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel much safer on passive pro I've placed myself than on bolts someone else has placed. On sandstone, I like active.

They are not foolproof, their dependabilty depends on the materials used, and the skill and experience of the bolter. There are many parameters that effect the integrity of a bolt, and most people just clip them thinking they are all bombproof. Read this for more...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3153&forum=40&66

~Adam

kaptk

Feb 22, 2002, 8:50 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think along the same lines as rrradam regarding this post. I know that it takes practice to set your own gear, but I would have more confidence in it than a bolt.

jt512

Feb 24, 2002, 7:58 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you posted your question in the sport climbing forum, people are going to say they trust bolts more, of course. Post again in the trad forum and see what answers you get.

-Jay

pwsk

Feb 24, 2002, 8:45 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all in the mind probably...When you say "bolt" it sounds hectically safe - and probably is - but when you say "trad protection" it sounds shaky to some people, because of the human factor involved I presume. I climbed in Waterval Boven(SA) this week-end where I personally saw 2 bolts buckle a few years back. And how many times have you heard of someone's pro coming out of the wall? I think that once you have absolute confidence in yourself - on trad for instance - your protections will seem bomber and that will be the safest for you.

Bolts are placed by someone else..that creates doubt. Pro is placed loosly in a crack in the rock..that creates doubt...

In all respects I think it boils down to an understanding with yourself; that climbing is dangerous and that it is only as safe as you make it for yourself. All protection is absolutely bomber if used correctly(sport or trad)! Do it safely...

Rock on...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook