RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

melow

Oct 30, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

What's the point?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I in no way meant this as a bust of any kind, I actually would like to try it. My question is, is there a point to it,,,, like does it help with climbing, etc. Or is it a sport/game in itself. Please don't take offense to me asking, I understand not all things have to have point to them, just looking for a reason to justify getting into it. Thanks.

gravitytheory

Oct 30, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Re: What's the point? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that nothing has a point; so slacklining has as much of a point as anything else. Do it if you want to. If you have to justify it to yourself, it probably isn't something you really want to do.

crag

Oct 30, 2003, 3:22 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I in no way meant this as a bust of any kind, I actually would like to try it.

Slacklining is fun :shock: Wooh there's a revelation. There is about as much "point" in Slacklining as there is in rock climbing :P

bluesky

Oct 30, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't get the point for quite some time. Takes a few days of consistent effort to get the hang of, like snowboarding was for me too. Saw slacklining, tried one day and took a few steps and lots of falls back on my first extended climbing roadtrip in 97. A couple other attempts were equally frustrating through the years. Then this summer, I bought a length of webbing - inspired by some Dean Ptter footage in Masters of Stone Five.

Now that I've been addictively slacking all summer through the fall, I've found the point - at least for me. For me it's about... learning balance (even symbolically), learning focus (and how to focus now) yet being relaxed, moving meditation, breaking self imposed limitations, having fun being graceful, goofy, bouncy and spinning, dancing and learning how to fall.

It's also quite fun to learn how to rig them, setting up quick simple short lines and bomber tight pulley enhanced long lines.

Sounds a like climbing? Funny thing is (I strongly dislike golf) I bet a passionate golfer could write a list of virtues of golf that read with the same inspiration. This is why I respect any person with a true passion (everything has a bit of a price but some prices can not be respected - my respect doesn't extend to passionate serial killers) even if I can't relate directly to their passion.

dobbsboy

Oct 31, 2003, 2:09 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I in no way meant this as a bust of any kind, I actually would like to try it.

Slacklining is fun :shock: Wooh there's a revelation. There is about as much "point" in Slacklining as there is in rock climbing :P

I have to agree with crag, the point is what you make it whether it be climbing or slackling. I slackline for the very same reason i climb. First of all it is just plain fun, it is a great exercise in being fluid and focused. It is a wonderful way to spend a couple of sunny hours with some friends. You can zone out the world, and live in the moment. My point is try it and be surprised (the surprise is how much you will enjoy falling on your ass, just kidding).

thinksinpictures

Oct 31, 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For me it's about... learning balance (even symbolically), learning focus (and how to focus now) yet being relaxed, moving meditation, breaking self imposed limitations, having fun being graceful, goofy, bouncy and spinning, dancing and learning how to fall.

Well said.

melow

Oct 31, 2003, 3:07 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input, Sorry if I offended anyone. Just curious about it.

crimpman

Nov 1, 2003, 4:05 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about any of you but slacklining has helped me out in climbing BIG time. When on a vertical face and I start to lean back from tiny foot holds I've balanced myself back on and saved an ascent. I can also high step stronger because of practicing sit starts I think.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook