RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

jt512

Oct 30, 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1876 views)
Shortcut

Simple "assignment" for the weekend
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For those of you who are going to climb this weekend, how about this: Pick any priniple or exercise in the book and try it out climbing. Report back next week with your observations. Don't reply to this thread, though, because the topics will be too heterogenous. Unless more than one person happens to experiment with the same principle, each person should start a new thread.

-Jay

jt512

Nov 3, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1876 views)
Shortcut

Re: Simple "assignment" for the weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weekend is over. What did you observe; what did you learn? Post here, or start a separate thread, whichever you think the more appropriate.

-Jay

lou_dale

Nov 3, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1876 views)
Shortcut

Re: Simple "assignment" for the weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i had started a new thread (i believe) as we had gone climbing wednesday and thursday, which was our weekend.

after nearly a year of working a route, prior to doing classes with arno and reading his book, and now afterwards - i have seen a world of difference in how i approach climbing, life, and its rewards.

it's not about getting to the top - lord i have heard that, said it, but didn't feel its impact until climbing that route. all the anticipation, hard work, and then in the blink of an eye - it was as if i had lived a dream.

in the process of all of this, i learned that ego does exist and will impact you in any way it can, IF YOU ALLOW IT. previously, i had never noticed all the ledges on this particular climb as i had been more concerned about the fears that popped up in my head - and my negativity.

so i learned that just when you think you have won over ego, ego returns in another form to try and talk you into backing down and returning to your comfort zone.

but by staying in that zone, you do not progress, you do not learn, you do not grow.

dale had coached me by being very conscious and aware of my ego as i am of his - good partners i think should be aware of each other in what makes them excel or retreat. he helped me to focus - by saying just that - focus. key words we used in class, and that are in the book, help me remember what my intentions are.

so many things came up this time - we managed to pick a safe route and practice falling, so i was able to get that over with first and we are going to make that a priority from now on - you are already aware of that ride before it happens, so it doesn't seem to be as traumatic.

understanding that ego was making an effort to talk me out of finishing, dale was able to help me focus....delay and rest if need be.....re-examine myself and what it was i was trying to accomplish.

almost a year had been spent wanting to do this and he was not going to just let me GIVE UP without a good fight. i wasn't even doing that - fear of failure (things that had happened in my past with this route) kept popping up in my head and all i could think of was - you know, if i give up now - i can't say i failed..........if you don't try, you can't fail, right?

wrong.......failure, if that word has real meaning, exists only in our minds and in our failure to not do anything.

so i learned that by focusing on my intention, by delaying when i began having any negative thoughts - that really makes you lose power because if you are spending that much energy talking yourself out of moving forward - you aren't spending much energy engaged, right?

i finished the route, thanks to my own abilities but also to my partner being able to read me as well. he was supportive and positive and by using key words, i was able to engage the witness, talk away the negative, focus on the positive - and complete a year-long awaited task.

then it was over and i realized - that was it. i was sad about this because i suppose it was much like the marathon runner who has prepared and worked hard and then you cross the finish line.

the real reward - the true victory - came from me learning more about myself, what i am capable of, trusting in the process of growth by understanding one has to get out of that comfort zone and move into the risk zone (learning zone) - or not grow.

i walked away feeling humbled and yet empowered more than i ever have before. and all of the lessons i learned from this one route, i can apply to all the others that are before me.

i believe i used every lesson in the book on this one route but i also learned that with time and practice, i will become better at using these techniques.

i could probably ramble on and on more, but i don't think others would want to hear about my enrichment and enlightenment - but it was a powerful growth spurt for me.........at least in spirit.

thanks for allowing me to share,

lou

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook