Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

timmah

Nov 3, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #26 of 52 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rope turning black [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You have irreversible microfiber degradation in the core of your rope, and if you keep using it you are bound to die.
The words of a genuine, un-deluted, idiot! Microfiber degredation??? The only thing degraded is this post.

:shock: sigh... some people just need to lighten up and learn how to take a joke. :roll:

brutusofwyde

Nov 3, 2003, 12:33 AM
Post #27 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
You have irreversible microfiber degradation in the core of your rope, and if you keep using it you are bound to die.
The words of a genuine, un-deluted, idiot! Microfiber degredation??? The only thing degraded is this post.

:shock: sigh... some people just need to lighten up and learn how to take a joke. :roll:

Not only that, but the original statement is true... If you keep using that rope you are bound to die.

Excluding that action does not, unfortunately, imply the opposite.

Brutus, one foot in the grave, in a heel-toe bridge

static_climber

Nov 3, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #28 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you have an atc-xp, that happend to my rope when my stupid friend use his atc-xp on it.

I like my atc - xp and it never turned my rope black

gene

Nov 3, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #29 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does your rope get black gunk all over your hands?????

Do you have a dry rope??????

Was your dry rope made in the USA??????

The black gunk is NOT aluminum oxide from your biners. A rope becomes a dry rope by being coated with a "dry treatment". The dry treatment needs to be dissolved in a "carrier solution" in order to be able to apply it to the rope. The carrier solution is a light oil and with time the lighter parts of the oil evaporate away, leaving the heavier waxy parts of the oil behind. This waxy residue (with some nice dirt mixed in courtesy of mother nature) is the black gunk that is getting on your hands.

This is generally something that happens with US-made dry ropes, not with european-made dry ropes. WHY???? Because the tree-hugger politicians in the US have banned the use of certain chemicals that the euro's can still use as a carrier fluid which doesn't leave all that waxy residue behind.

Got this info from a rope manufacturer's FAQ page many moons ago, but since Dumbo-Gene can't remember which one, I cannot post a link to support my claim.

Let the agruments and contradictions cummence .......

Edit : Found the link (thanks gecko ...) - turns out is wasn't a rope manufacturer (sorry), it was omega pacific. The link is :

http://www.omegapac.com/ask_omega.html

It is the last "question" on that page

rvega

Nov 3, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #30 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Do you have an atc-xp, that happend to my rope when my stupid friend use his atc-xp on it.

I like my atc - xp and it never turned my rope black

I have never used a atc-xp. I've been climbing long time and the black on the rope has nothing to do with the xp design. Biners, regular atcs, and lots of other types of gear causes this. If you've had gear for a long time you will notice the color change on them where friction is applied. I've never heard that this damages the rope, but rather that dirt in combination with gear friction and general use may lead to fraying the rope sheath but not causing major damage that could result in ropes breaking.

rvega

Nov 3, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #31 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

This is generally something that happens with US-made dry ropes, not with european-made dry ropes. WHY???? Because the tree-hugger politicians in the US have banned the use of certain chemicals that the euro's can still use as a carrier fluid which doesn't leave all that waxy residue behind. .......

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Get a clue before you make such remarks.

dlintz

Nov 3, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #32 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is generally something that happens with US-made dry ropes, not with european-made dry ropes. WHY???? Because the tree-hugger politicians in the US have banned the use of certain chemicals that the euro's can still use as a carrier fluid which doesn't leave all that waxy residue behind.
Damn those tree hugging SOBs for making my hands black, curses to you all!!

dredsovrn

Nov 3, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #33 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe this was already suggested, but you could just daisy chain your rope, thow it in a washing machine with mild non-bleach detergent, and wash it. It will take the black/gray marks off.

gene

Nov 3, 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #34 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
gene wrote:

This is generally something that happens with US-made dry ropes, not with european-made dry ropes. WHY???? Because the tree-hugger politicians in the US have banned the use of certain chemicals that the euro's can still use as a carrier fluid which doesn't leave all that waxy residue behind. .......

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Get a clue before you make such remarks.

Jeeeez ....... don't be so sensitive.

I didn't claim to know what I was talking about, I claimed to be quoting a source.

A source which MAY or MAY NOT be valid.

If somebody feels the need to scrape the black gunk off their hands and stick it through a Gas Flame Chromatograph to figure out exactly what it's made of and report back to all the "seeker's of truth" on RC.com, feel free. Short of scientific proof, we're all just hypothesizing, arent we ....

At the end of the day, WHO CARES what the black gunk is - just wash your hands and go on with your life ......

(EDIT : Found the "link" and put it into my original post in this thread)

mtnrsq

Nov 3, 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #35 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just send your gear over to me. I'll check it out for you - make sure it's safe and all....... :D

madcowrockclimber

Nov 3, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #36 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the black is nothing more than biner boogers

mattm

Nov 3, 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #37 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does the rope get a lot of gym time? I've got a gym specific rope and it's the only one that get even remotely black. Couple of reasons for this...

Aluminum biners and lots of lowering from them (as in all gyms) - they're getting steel next week though sweet!

Grit and grime - my gym uses pea gravel (bleh) which means the gym is dirty all the time - ropes inevitably pick up some of this grit.

Wash it once in a while

rvega

Nov 3, 2003, 10:28 PM
Post #38 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="gene"]
In reply to:

I didn't claim to know what I was talking about, I claimed to be quoting a source.

EXACTLY MY POINT! Oh and what is your source again? If this website is actually to answer people's questions then maybe just throwing out personally collected trivia is not exactly helpful. And just to let you know, Europe is much more progressive as far as banning harmful substances; a 2 fold higher rate than the US. If our government actually prohibited the use of some chemical, its most likely in our best interestes.

petsfed

Nov 3, 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #39 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of rock do you climb on?

If you climb only on really hard, non crumbly rock like granite or some limestone, your crabs won't get eroded very much by the rope, thus very little black stuff on the rope. If you climb something gritty that can get into your rope, like say sandstone, then your carabiners are worn down a lot faster by day to day use. This in turn leads to more blackstuff. Go to IC and checkout the ropes carried by locals. If they're more than a month old, they're jet black.

Just looked at your profile. If you've met Jason Urasky, you've probably met me as well. Wicky Wack especially, but most of the sandstone crags around Green River will destroy the pretty looking rope you just bought. Top roping a lot will do the same thing. Don't worry, its still good, just replace it every two years or so and you'll be good to go.

jt512

Nov 3, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #40 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Aluminum oxide is known to be a cause of alzheimers disease

I'd be interested in some peer-reviewed backup for this statement, if available. Anyone?

It isn't "known to be" a cause of AD. It is a suspected to play a role, however, in the progression of the disease.

In reply to:
Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2002;17 Suppl 2:17-20.

The potential role of aluminium in Alzheimer's disease.

Aluminium is a trivalent cation that does not undergo redox changes. It has, nonetheless, been implicated in a variety of neurological disorders that have been associated with an increase in the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS). The exact mechanism of aluminium toxicity is not known. However, accumulating evidence suggests that the metal can potentiate oxidative and inflammatory events, leading to tissue damage. A review of the epidemiological and clinical evidence linking aluminium to Alzheimer's disease (AD) is presented. The article discusses the role of aluminium in two mechanisms that have been linked to neurodegenerative disorders, including AD. Studies are summarized that describe how aluminium can potentiate iron-induced oxidative events. Involvement of aluminium in inflammatory responses, mediated by interleukins and other inflammatory cytokines, is also discussed. Although a direct relationship between aluminium and AD has not been clearly demonstrated, a detailed mechanistic basis for the hypothesis that aluminium may exacerbate events associated with AD is clearly emerging. The results discussed here have broad implications for the role played by aluminium and other metals in neurodegenerative diseases, and suggest that long-term exposure to supra-physiological amounts these metals should be avoided.

-Jay

jt512

Nov 3, 2003, 11:44 PM
Post #41 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Aluminum oxide is known to be a cause of alzheimers disease

I'd be interested in some peer-reviewed backup for this statement, if available. Anyone?

It isn't "known to be" a cause of AD. It is a suspected to play a role, however.

In reply to:
Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2002;17 Suppl 2:17-20.

The potential role of aluminium in Alzheimer's disease.

Aluminium is a trivalent cation that does not undergo redox changes. It has, nonetheless, been implicated in a variety of neurological disorders that have been associated with an increase in the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS). The exact mechanism of aluminium toxicity is not known. However, accumulating evidence suggests that the metal can potentiate oxidative and inflammatory events, leading to tissue damage. A review of the epidemiological and clinical evidence linking aluminium to Alzheimer's disease (AD) is presented. The article discusses the role of aluminium in two mechanisms that have been linked to neurodegenerative disorders, including AD. Studies are summarized that describe how aluminium can potentiate iron-induced oxidative events. Involvement of aluminium in inflammatory responses, mediated by interleukins and other inflammatory cytokines, is also discussed. Although a direct relationship between aluminium and AD has not been clearly demonstrated, a detailed mechanistic basis for the hypothesis that aluminium may exacerbate events associated with AD is clearly emerging. The results discussed here have broad implications for the role played by aluminium and other metals in neurodegenerative diseases, and suggest that long-term exposure to supra-physiological amounts these metals should be avoided.

-Jay

gene

Nov 4, 2003, 2:24 PM
Post #42 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found the manufacturer's link (thanks gecko ...) that says black gunk is from dry-rope treatment - put it in my original post in this thread.

Is it true - heck, I don't know, but I'd give it the same odds as biner oxidation.

Now I'll just have to hope that the tree-huggers don't find me and beat me to death in my sleep with their "Olive Branches" of JUSTICE ......

gekko

Nov 4, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #43 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Rope turning black [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

EXACTLY MY POINT! Oh and what is your source again? If this website is actually to answer people's questions then maybe just throwing out personally collected trivia is not exactly helpful. And just to let you know, Europe is much more progressive as far as banning harmful substances; a 2 fold higher rate than the US. If our government actually prohibited the use of some chemical, its most likely in our best interestes.

I am very curious Rvega, how do you know that:

In reply to:
If you've had gear for a long time you will notice the color change on them where friction is applied.

and

In reply to:
Europe is much more progressive as far as banning harmful substances; a 2 fold higher rate than the US.

Gene has given his sources, where are yours? Or is this "personally collected trivia that you are just throwing out there" - nah, couldn't be, you get way too upset with others for posting without the proper documentation.

People who come to this website looking for information need to understand that there are not always experts but normal people on the other end of the thread sharing their own opinions and what they have learned, I believe there is a disclaimer somewhere that attests to this. Even though there are some experts that may answer questions, most of the time it is just Joe Rock Climber putting his two cents in. Joe-Gene Rock Climber has a viable source, true or not, but people should still be able to post without one.

It is up to the person seeking information to analyze, verify with actual experts if necessary, and make final judgement as to what he/she needs to pay attention to.

I THINK the growth of this site would come to a halt if every poster had to prove something in order to post. And the source of that thought was my hinie, you can double click on it if you want to but I posted it anyway.

jt512

Nov 4, 2003, 7:19 PM
Post #44 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I didn't claim to know what I was talking about....

Another RC.COM Quote of the Week!

-Jay

the_pirate

Nov 4, 2003, 8:16 PM
Post #45 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The two principle drawbacks of an internet bulletin board:

1) You can't see the idiot that is about to give you advice.

2) You can't bitch slap him after he does.

BTW gene, how do you explain the black substance on a non-dry treated rope? Never crossed your mind?

curt

Nov 4, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #46 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
BTW gene, how do you explain the black substance on a non-dry treated rope? Never crossed your mind?

I was going to ask Gene the same thing. Perhaps there is some additional crap that can come off a "dry" rope. But your standard run-of-the-mill charcoal gray to black stuff that gets on your rope, with use, appears on non-dry ropes too.

Curt

crimpman

Nov 5, 2003, 1:20 AM
Post #47 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so the black is unavoidable, So to make my rope squeaky clean I hear woolite is good. Where do I get this stuff?

maculated

Nov 5, 2003, 4:51 AM
Post #48 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

maculated moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

jt512

Nov 5, 2003, 6:54 AM
Post #49 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok so the black is unavoidable, So to make my rope squeaky clean I hear woolite is good. Where do I get this stuff?

Woolite is hard to find. Try a wool store.

-Jay

climbsomething

Nov 5, 2003, 7:50 AM
Post #50 of 52 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Woolite is hard to find. Try a wool store.

-Jay
If you want to save at least 40% off retail and are willing to go for cosmetic seconds, consider checking out the Woolite Outlet Store in Redlands also.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook