Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Favorite Route in the State
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bigwalling

Feb 22, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Favorite Route in the State  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Smith_Rock: 10__Monkey_Face_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm interested in knowing what some of the favorite routes are?

Partner russman

Feb 22, 2002, 7:47 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Favorite Route in the State [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to see a fellwo Washingtonian making posts and inquiring within our state.

Having said that, I can honestly say that I have not climbed the major hot spots in our state (Levenworth, or any MTs.) My major source of climbing are The Feathers (15 min from home)

That or finding my own rock to scamper up that nobody has ever touched before (trust me, there are tons in our great state)

Thanx for teh post man...what about you?

bigwalling

Feb 23, 2002, 12:27 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well my favorite is a route calleed City Park in Index. It's a great route and one of the nicest in Index. Aiding City Park is the way most people go. Todd Skinner did the first free ascent. So it's a great route and lots of fun.

krustyklimber

Feb 25, 2002, 4:39 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite route in Washington is probably Givlers Crack 5.8, Givlers Dome, Icicle Creek, Wa.

The sweetest fist crack, which starts out fairly steep, leads exhilaratingly to the first belay, one of the most awesome I've sat on, and then slabs off to the domed summit. From here you have a spectacular view, not only up and down canyon, but across to the Stuart Range, and one of the most beautiful mountains in our state, Mount Stuart.

The approach is long, and the wait in line can be too, but both are totaly worth it!!!

If you only climbed ten routes in Washington this had better go on your list!!
Jeff

P.S. You said, about City Park, "Aiding City Park is the way most people go" and then go on to say "Todd Skinner did the FFA" when the link you posted takes you to an article, written by an admittedly biased reporter (who's credibility, locally, was less than stellar at the time). who said that Skinner made the first ascent of a variation of "The Park" after drawing up a hammer and pin and making a placement (not necessarily part of FREE climbing), and in doing so, he threw gasoline onto a fire of controversy that broils to this day.
The only other person to climb "The Park" free was Hugh Herr, who, because of his prostetic legs could be said to have "aided" it as well.
Some of us, who were around back then, are still awaiting "The First FREE and CLEAN Ascent of City Park" and wishing the fire of controversy would just die out!
You see the problem, and much of the controversy, stemmed from the opinion that the locals who had been working on the route, and aiding it knew with just one or two more summers of nailing and the scars would open up to the point were mortal humans would be able to climb it, and that by freeing it at 5.14 would deprive most of the locals of not only our best place teach A1 nailing, but we wouldn't be able to free climb it either. So there it sat, no one would try it, nobody was clean aiding much yet, so some thought that Skinner had STOLEN one of OUR crown jewels and that Smoot had given him the key to OUR back door.
Now with some severe rescrubbing in the early 90s it has once again become oneof our jewels. but I can't help but think how cool it would be if we now had our own Serenity Crack, at about 5.10c!!!

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-02-24 21:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-02-24 21:34 ]

bigwalling

Feb 25, 2002, 6:12 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krusty climber has made an excellent point. Bigwalling had not read that article in a long time. He also wasn't around when it was freed or maybe he was but he was just born. I to would love to see someone free this route in a better style. Hey Krustyclimber I noticed that you're into aid. You done any of the aid routes on the upper wall at index?

waclimber

Apr 7, 2002, 1:12 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A favorite route of mine is Outer Space in L-worth.
The final crack is what climbing is all about.
My favortie alpine rock route is the west ridge on North twin hear bellingham... The rock is amazing and very unique. The view isn't too bad either!
I've done some aid at Index on the upper town walls ala Town Crier, which I've climbed most of but been rained off after the triple roofs pitch....Great route!

krustyklimber

Apr 20, 2002, 2:33 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not lately Jake, but we're gonna!!!
Just as soon as it dries out a bit!

Jeff

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook