Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tawl

Oct 14, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #1 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

slacklining tricks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need new tricks.

I haven't found people around here to slackline with so i'm stuck thinking of tricks on my own, but running out of ideas.

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 16, 2003, 7:00 PM
Post #2 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacklining tricks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what kinda tricks do ya know already?
that way maybe we can come up with ones that u dont know

ROCK ON!! :mrgreen:

sedodd

Oct 17, 2003, 12:38 AM
Post #3 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can squat and try to surf. try to sit down, the lay down...and of course try to stand up. you can try to dismantle by trying any variables of tricks while jumping off ( or better landing them,) like a somersalt or backflip or anything else.
you can always master running and attempting any variable tricks while trying to mount the slackline, such as a jump, jump 180 or 360, front flip or anything you may imagine. anyways, do what you want, slacklinings new...a lot of it is still up for grabs. just a few suggestions.

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Nov 4, 2003, 5:57 AM
Post #4 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to get up to backflipping either off the line like in a dismount, or onto the line (sounds really crazy hard). But right now I'm still working on jumping onto the line, from the side, just like lemur-jumping onto it, one-foot followed by the other. Lots of fun, one-wipeout I wish I had a camera for ;)

soma

Nov 4, 2003, 6:51 AM
Post #5 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you can squat and try to surf. try to sit down, the lay down...and of course try to stand up. you can try to dismantle by trying any variables of tricks while jumping off ( or better landing them,) like a somersalt or backflip or anything else.
you can always master running and attempting any variable tricks while trying to mount the slackline, such as a jump, jump 180 or 360, front flip or anything you may imagine. anyways, do what you want, slacklinings new...a lot of it is still up for grabs. just a few suggestions.

Wicked suggestions and reminds me of tricks on rails by inline skaters. How much air can you get on a slackline?

Dave

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 5, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #6 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Wicked suggestions and reminds me of tricks on rails by inline skaters. How much air can you get on a slackline?

Dave

That sounds like a challenge :)

Best I've managed was less than 1 foot, I'll have to try that again next time out.

crimpman

Nov 6, 2003, 4:52 AM
Post #7 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anyone do a 180 with only 1 foot on? I've tried lots but haven't quite got it.

thinksinpictures

Nov 6, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #8 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a challenge for all the supergood slackers out there (of which I am decidedly NOT one). The following information is for educational purposes only. See disclaimer below.

1. Stand on the ground.
2. Pick up one foot (I'm right handed and pick up my right foot), and hold it in your opposite hand (for me, the left). If you're doing this right, your legs should create a shape like the number four.
3. Without letting go of your foot, jump (with the foot still on the ground) up and OVER the leg you are holding up.

4. Now do this on a slackline.

Disclaimer: I highly discourage anyone from actually TRYING this. You could seriously hurt yourself or even kill yourself if you F--- up. But if you DO happen to try it and succeed (despite my best efforts at discouraging you), I'd like to hear about it.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 6, 2003, 6:12 AM
Post #9 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can anyone do a 180 with only 1 foot on? I've tried lots but haven't quite got it.

Does accidently count? If so, yes. I was trying to do a jump & turn from 1 foot, well I only landed on 1 foot. I landed at more of a 145 and then rocked back and forth in the flopping around not to fall so my foot was back square on the webbnig. Not very gracefully I might add.. dang near took fall on concrete (yes, I know, bad place to put a slackline but my driveway is sooooo tempting and easy). Maybe that'll give you an idea on a more practical way of getting it.

ksudyno

Nov 6, 2003, 6:26 AM
Post #10 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wondering what brand of slacklines do you guys have, i got an ethos. Does anyone one have a big one from the slackline brothers kit. My ethos is only 50 feet need something longer.

tawl

Nov 7, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #11 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will definately have to try the 1 foot 180, got the 2 footer down pretty nicely. Have contemplated the "jump foot through arm and leg move"(i don't know what it's called) but have yet to try it. I think it definately could be done though. Heading down to HP40 this weekend, and i'll bring my slacklines, so hopefully there'll be some others with cool tricks i haven't thought of that are actually possible for me to accomplish.

I really want to do this:
http://www.geocities.com/...wsplitslackwcopy.jpg
but have only accomplished a near smashing of my face trying. Ridiculous...

mike_ok

Nov 7, 2003, 5:28 AM
Post #12 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out that video of the guys that set up three and four teir slacklines. thats tight... you jump up and down different heights, etc, so forth, what-have-you...

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 7, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #13 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just wondering what brand of slacklines do you guys have, i got an ethos. Does anyone one have a big one from the slackline brothers kit. My ethos is only 50 feet need something longer.

Well, I make the kits for Slackline Express. How long do you need? We make 1 piece lines up to 150'. If you want something at height I would recommend the slackline bro kit; if you don't want to sink that kind of money and are fine with lower lines I could make a kit to whatever characteristics you need. I do make pre-made fall leashes (life lines) and such too.

Our kits *could* do higher lines, but I'm just not comfortable making that recommendation and I'd always recommend redundancy in the line.

gravitytheory

Nov 7, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #14 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hand Stand. Wicked had.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 7, 2003, 6:19 PM
Post #15 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tawl,

How about a hand stand/walking on your hands? I've always wanted to see that and I never got it pulled off.

Edit: Gravitytheory: man that was freaky - we posted the same idea at the same time... ok, you had me beat by like a second or two.

psych

Nov 7, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #16 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I have a Mike Special...errr...buy bulk webbing from climbing store, find all those non-locking biners you've got stashed away, find tree, then another one, setup and go.
Mike...

tawl

Nov 7, 2003, 7:28 PM
Post #17 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't know what happened to my picture link, but it was of Noah Kauffman doing center splits in the middle of the line.

mountaingoat

Nov 7, 2003, 8:03 PM
Post #18 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how much do these slack lines cost? They sound fun! :D :D

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 7, 2003, 8:54 PM
Post #19 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how much do these slack lines cost? They sound fun! :D :D

There are several companies out there making pre-made kits now days or you can make your own primitive setup from biners and webbing.

The pre-made kits:

Slackline Express (us) www.slacklineexpress.com
Ethos www.ethosclimbing.com
Slackline Brothers www.slackline.com
Asana http://www.asanapackworks.com

The home made primitive instructions:
http://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1

Prices range a lot since each kit is for a specific purpose, simple intro kits go from around 30 shipped to the very high end systems from slackline brothers for 250... Pretty much you pick how much slackline you want and what features and go with the corresponding company.

Primitive designs work well for some, but typically take longer to setup and you need help pulling them tight for much length at all. By the time you factor in biner cost and webbing the pre-made kits become much more attractive since you can usually get many more accessories w/ it and good product support.

Purists/traditionalists always recommend building your own no matter what so don't be taken back if someone gives you that line. If you go with a good pre-made kit, which any of those listed are, you'll be happy; if you go with making your own and you always have people around to help pull it tight or don't mind setting it up higher to compensate for a looser line and don't mind the extra work involed you'll be happy too.

psych

Nov 7, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #20 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Variable might be one of the upshots of building it yourself (and the "I made this" feeling), I spend maybe $40 canadian on my 25 foot line and a couple extra non-locking biners (got hosed on those, I paid $10/per when I know they're available elsewhere for $4-5/per). But if I'd thought of it beforehand, I could have gotten about twice the webbing length just incase I could setup a long line somewhere. Just requires more friends to help pull it taught, and/or more biners in the loop to increase your pulley ratio. A come-along would be a much nicer alternative than setting up pulley's and hauling on it, but it's more expensive.
Mike...

pancaketom

Nov 7, 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #21 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to see a cartwheel. I tried once, and it was a mess. I've come close to a handstand, but since I can't do one on the ground very well, I don't see how I expect to stick it on a line. splits are cool, walking on your knees....

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 7, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #22 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want to see a cartwheel. I tried once, and it was a mess. I've come close to a handstand, but since I can't do one on the ground very well, I don't see how I expect to stick it on a line. splits are cool, walking on your knees....

I wiped out fairly bad at least 5 times trying to do that too... not pretty having your ankles end up over your head while your laying on the ground... hehe good times...

crimpman

Nov 10, 2003, 2:34 AM
Post #23 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought my 120 ft. slackline for a little less than 40 bucks. Everywhere I've gone its like 30 cents per foot. I don't even know the brand of it, I didn't even cosider it when I bought it. A line is a line, and all of the different ones I've been on don't seem any worse than others. I don't think the brand matters personally. Others might disagree.

tawl

Nov 10, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #24 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've bought 2 slacklines since i started which are obviously different brands of webbing. I can easily tell the difference when walking on them. One is much less stretchy, and has 1 little line of stitching down the middle. The other is extremely stretchy, much shinier and seemingly better quality, and has to little lines of stitching down the middle. Not really sure which one i like walking on better though

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 10, 2003, 6:00 PM
Post #25 of 27 (6692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i've bought 2 slacklines since i started which are obviously different brands of webbing. I can easily tell the difference when walking on them. One is much less stretchy, and has 1 little line of stitching down the middle. The other is extremely stretchy, much shinier and seemingly better quality, and has to little lines of stitching down the middle. Not really sure which one i like walking on better though

Are you sure you didn't get Poly Proethane (sp) on the shiney one? Poly pro webbing is cheaper, stretchier and lighter but it usually isn't tubular, or if it is I haven't see that yet. Downside is that it isn't as strong. Upside is it's more resistant to water from what I've noticed.

I used to use it on my short homemade lines and it worked just fine, but I don't think I'd sell a kit w/ it even though its cheaper. I just don't like the idea of it being half as strong.

Not saying yours for a fact is poly pro, just wondering if you knew one way or another.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook