Premier Sponsor:

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Nov 4, 2003, 5:40 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Starter Kits : Suggestions & Feedback
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm fairly new to slack-lining, about 6 months new, but I love the sport. Discovered it at my local rock-climbing gym, and have been hooked aver since. So I've been looking around online at some of the kits being sold, and basically I love slack-lining enough I'm willing to spend a fair amount of dough to get nice rigging, the first time. If anyone has any input on the QUALITY, RELIABILITY,LEVEL OF ENJOYMENT, LEVEL OF EASE of the next two kits, please let me know as I really want to order one soon!

1) Slack-Line Brothers Kit, the whole kit, not just their tightening system. Mainly I looked at this one becuase it looks really tough, and they advertise it to be extremely easy to use compared to basic 4-to-1 custom system. But if the community feel this kit is more suited to medium to high LONG lines, then I don't really see the need for it, that is unless its REALLY freakin simple to setup compared to biners and line.

2)A Basic Ethos Kit and then I pick up some biners for it. I'm willing to spend dough on the good stuff, but if I hear anything bad about it, I'm CHEAP. And the slackers at my local climb use and sell an Ethos kit.

I would be pretty much a daily slacker with my kit, and I'm a low-liner. I really don't forsee me going to even medium-lines, and most definitely don't see my doing high-lines as I value my life more then pleasure. My Line would probably average between 20-30 ft.

And after lookin around here I definitely plan on taking some cool photos of myself ;)

Thanks for any and all input guys,
a-slacker-in-progress

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Nov 4, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Re: Starter Kits : Suggestions & Feedback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Btw, I tried to look into previous topics before I came out asking all these questions, but I didn't look as hard as I should have, I just saw the post, "make it or buy it" , and well i'm going to throw in a third option, and just as well might answer my own question. But I would still like any encouragement/input on this third one.

3) Since my line will be short, and low, I can make my own from like 30-50 ft of webbing, and 2-4 carabiners. I'm really thinking about this (remember I'm cheap). :roll: sorry if this post was redundant, but I want to count the cost, and find out the firsthand experience from experienced slackliners.

Thanks

tarzan420

Nov 4, 2003, 6:57 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make Your own! Here's My setup:

~30 foot section of 1" subular webbing for the main line, with a loop tied in one end with an overhand.
5 oval biners (1 for connecting the loop end of the line, and the other four for constructing a pulley).
2 other slings as necessary for setting up the line (usually ~15-20 foot slings girth hitched around trees)

easy and cheep.

tawl

Nov 5, 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Make Your own! Here's My setup:

~30 foot section of 1" subular webbing for the main line, with a loop tied in one end with an overhand.
5 oval biners (1 for connecting the loop end of the line, and the other four for constructing a pulley).
2 other slings as necessary for setting up the line (usually ~15-20 foot slings girth hitched around trees)

Sounds like a good setup, although 30 feet for the main line is not gonna satisfy you for long. I bought a 50 ft line for my first, and was quickly wanting more. Remember you'll need plenty of extra line to assemble/tighten the pulley system. With a 30 ft length, it'll be difficult to set up even a 20 ft line.

Also, you can really get by with 3 oval biners, if you want to save a few bucks. I haven't tried a pulley system with more, but 3 works fine for me.

Its all a matter of personal preference though, there's probably as many ways to set up a line as there are people doing it.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 5, 2003, 6:22 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Overall there's no sense in buying a big kit if your going for lower lines and such. Having used the Ethos kit a lot I can safely say I like my kits a lot better in the areas of quick setup and easier to get tight. Not to mention cheaper and it can handle longer lines.

I won't pretend that I'm not biased, so I'll just post the link and let you decide for youself.

www.slacklineexpress.com
(the site is very much in the beta stages - but the product information is complete)

It sounds like the deluxe kit would be the most practical since your slacklining daily.

snipehunter

Nov 5, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just checked out Slackline Express' site... Not much innovation going on there! I could buy the same kit at Home Depot, they call it a motorcycle tie-down.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 5, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just checked out Slackline Express' site... Not much innovation going on there! I could buy the same kit at Home Depot, they call it a motorcycle tie-down.

:D (disclaimer yes I make them so don't hate me for adding legitament info)

The intro kit, yes it is based on tie downs. Heck I even mention what is needed to make one yourself. Thats strictly there for newbies who want a pre-made kit that is tested to be strong enough for slacklining. Overall 20+ shipping is a pretty good deal considering the work it saves. It's not like I make money on them by the time you figure in expenses.

But here's the thing, it works. I can get it tighter than the primitive pull for tension setups and it sets up faster. (yes, that's my opnion, but I'd gladly let anyone give it an objective review)

There's a lot more to the deluxe kit though, up to 150' lines, adjustable tree slings and such. Not aiming to revolutionize the market, just make it easier for the newbies and backyard slackers.

a-slacker-in-progress
Deleted

Nov 6, 2003, 5:34 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, hey slacklinejoe, guess where I live? Branson. Guess where I go to climb and slack, Petra. Scary how small the world is :) Anyways, no offense, but I'm probably going to go ahead and build my own, for my first. I need to learn how to tie knots anyways. When I get bored and tired of using biners & slack, I'll come a looking. I'll probably head up to Petra here in a week or so and get my webbing from them. I was thinking about getting an Ethos kit from them, but I'll probably just get the essentials. Keep at it man.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 7, 2003, 6:51 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LOL, hey slacklinejoe, guess where I live? Branson. Guess where I go to climb and slack, Petra. Scary how small the world is :) Anyways, no offense, but I'm probably going to go ahead and build my own, for my first. I need to learn how to tie knots anyways. When I get bored and tired of using biners & slack, I'll come a looking. I'll probably head up to Petra here in a week or so and get my webbing from them. I was thinking about getting an Ethos kit from them, but I'll probably just get the essentials. Keep at it man.

Nice to hear from someone in the area! As far as climbers go we're pretty much isolated in Missouri. Petra's been a great place to bring in everyone from the region though - their good people and I learned to climb there.

If you ever get a chance to see Clay Frisbee slackline do it, he's unbelievable with some of the stuff he pulls off, in heavy boots no less.

That's cool that your making your own, in your first post you sounded certain you wanted a kit rather than make your own so I thought I'd drop you another possibility to check into.

I actually learned on a pull-for-tension line, which was fine when my friends were around to help pull it, but it sucked trying to go solo since I couldn't get it tight enough to do a decent length by myself. Some really good slackers are fine w/ that since they usually go with others or set it higher to compensate for the looser line and they don't mind it taking longer to setup.

Personally, I'm lazy and cheap so I look at the kit option as easier and cheaper. (x many biners, ~$20 in webbing, tree slings, stuff to make tree slings adjustable, gas and they are easier to put up)

arkansasclimber

Nov 10, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also go to Petra to slack and climb. watching Clay or Tom Lampe on one is a very amazing sight. i have used the ethos kit and it is very simple to put and adjust. Although i haven't bought one i probably will. in my opinion using biners and what not is a b****. I think for the nonhighliner espicially the kits would be the better option. they are just so much simpler to set up. or u could not spend any money and use webbing and biners. to each his own.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook