RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

miagi

Feb 21, 2002, 7:06 AM
Post #1 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Wrist Curls - Great Training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ive just been messin around on my wall at home and after a few weeks of just plain climbing my forearms have become solid rock. I was moving different positions on the rock and found that i used my forearms more than my bicep/tricep. Most of the time hanging for rest is when you use them in conjunction with your fingers. So i just decided to do some wrist curls to help me hold better to the rock and it worked a hella lot better than i thought it would. Get a 20 lb free weight, lay your forearm over a chair with the wrist dangling over it and hold the weight with palm up and do curls. At first it doesnt feel like anything is working but after alot of reps you feel it. Next day on the rock i was amazed how much it helped with the way i climbed. Just a suggestion, hope it helps

gekolimit

Feb 21, 2002, 7:52 AM
Post #2 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Wrist Curls - Great Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what weight do you use? I find it takes tons of reps before you get the burning sensation...i tend to get bored and not do it anymore.

miagi

Feb 23, 2002, 12:59 AM
Post #3 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can use any free weight you want. I like to do alot of reps on a 20 or 35. I feel that if i use anything higher than that it could insure my wrist when i bend it back

beta

Feb 23, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #4 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems to me that I have no problem "working" the inside of my forearms, they are strong and look cool when pumped.

The outside, or back of my forearms however don't seem to develop unless I do something specific.

I generally rest the inside of my forearms over the porch balcony in my backyard, and hold a dumbell hanging down below 15# in my case. I raise the dumbell until my hands are in line with my forearms and repeat until I can't do anymore. (It hurts so bad).

We are talking about 4" of motion total, definitely balances the opposing muscle groups, at least in my case.

Something to do while drinking beer and watching chicken cook on the BBQ.

beta

orngave

Feb 23, 2002, 5:53 AM
Post #5 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you try this.

Get like a 10 lbs. weight, a long piece of string, and a Rod that you can fit both hands on. tie the string to the weight, and then to the rod, then hold the rod out infront of you, and roll your wrists, bringing the weight up, then slowly let it down the same way. The negative is just as important. When it is all the way out, go the other way with it. do this a couple of times, it will burn.

E.B.

miagi

Feb 26, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #6 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that works too. I dont get the string and PVC. I just pick the weight up with both hands and squeeze my fingers inbetween the weights

achilles

Mar 6, 2002, 9:49 AM
Post #7 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to try some of these exercises and let you all know how it went.
Rock-a-bye!

climb512

Mar 6, 2002, 1:03 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wrist curls I find simulate that same pump that you get when the arms start to get tired climbing. I use a 30lb db, do the wrist curls until i cant do any more about 3 sets like this. then I drop to 15 lb db and do reversed curls(hand on top). Finish it off with wrist rolls about 10.I have a 36 inch cord tied to a 5lb weight. I extend the arms out and roll the cord up on dowl and then un roll it. Its agreat burn!

fireclimber

Mar 6, 2002, 2:31 PM
Post #9 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also do wrist curls, I do several different movements. You can take a barbell and lay your arms on a bench and let the weight roll down your fingers and then snatch it back up. Then do wrist curls with hands facing up then reverse it with a lighter weight that will hit all of the forearm. Becarefull not to do it to much you will soon get tendon or ligament damage, possible carpel tunnel as well.

mightymucklebunk

Mar 8, 2002, 12:38 AM
Post #10 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get about 100 (2/3rds of my weight) pounds of weight (including the bench press bar) grab it with both hands and roll it for as long as I can. I usually do about 4 sets or so. Just keep in mind to do it as close to inline with your back as possible or you might strain it. I read somewhere that you are supposed to do it at 100-150% of your weight, but I found I couldn't roll it enough to get a good burn.

dmon

Mar 10, 2002, 2:34 AM
Post #11 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/DBWristCurl.html

and

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristExtensors/DBReverseWristCurl.html

for illustrations of both of the wrist curls talked about in this post. Hope it helps.
Duncan

[ This Message was edited by: dmon on 2002-03-09 18:36 ]

miagi

Mar 11, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #12 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice links dmon! Good searching!!

climber_trev

May 6, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #13 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the old wrist curls, i do reverse and normal ones when i cant climb during the week i also do some of those hand grip things ... although their not perfect i find them good for building a bit of forearm endurance. i know for a fact that after climbing you should do a couple of sets of reverse wrist curls to balance you muscles out, namely to avoid 'tennis elbow' tendinitus (sp.)

climber_trev

arete2

May 7, 2002, 1:06 AM
Post #14 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer the reverse curls takes less weight and it starts to burn much quicker, I love the feeling after doing 3 sets of these.
Arete

psych

May 7, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #15 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a thought, but I used to do these in the gym sometimes and they got my forearms burning like a cajun BBQ.

Get a length of twine, string, whatever and tie it to the center of a round length of wood (a good thick dowell or something), so that when you roll the thing up, it wraps the string around the wood. Attach a weight to the other end of the string and you've got yourself the mother of all Burning Pain Inducers(tm). Drill a hole through the wood or something so it won't like roll around the dowell.
Mike...

miagi

May 7, 2002, 1:31 AM
Post #16 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sometimes do that by tying some webbing to a free 20lbs weight and working out. It works really well. It is definitely a endurance workout that really helps for those longer routes.

metoliusmunchkin

May 8, 2002, 9:11 PM
Post #17 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does not a lot of reps negatively affect your physical system? Would it not be better to simple perform a lesser amount of reps, yet with a slightly larger weight?

Moreoever,I feel that perhaps those performing wrist curls would personalize their own amount of weight as well. This would simple be done in order to better personalize the training (perhaps not all of us feel comfortable using a 20 lbs weight, or perhaps some may find a 20 lbs weight too easy and not enough of a workout).

I do however completely agree that wrist curls help with climbing. Finding recently that much strain has been placed upon my wrists while climbing (distinctly while hanging for extended periods of time - or while milking a "resting-jug"). It felt almost as though my hands would snap off and dislocate from my arm; breaking at the wrist.

Wrist curls have definitely helped me, personally, with such a problem. (This furhtermore works great, even for those who have no wrist troubles).

jdcox_9

May 15, 2002, 3:48 AM
Post #18 of 18 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey arete2, reverse curls aren't exactly an exercise that helps climbing strength, mostly they are done to reduce the risk of overuse injuries

for example: if you do a lot of climbing your lower forearms(flexors) will develop faster than the upper(extensors). thus an injury may occur if there is a great imbalance.

this is where reverse wrist curls are helpful

[ This Message was edited by: jdcox_9 on 2002-05-14 20:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jdcox_9 on 2002-05-30 18:25 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook