RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

dobbsboy

Oct 31, 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #1 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Asana slackline kit
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was on Mountain Gear's website and saw that they were selling a premade slackline kit by "Asana". It looked pretty sketchy using a huge tie down ratchet for a tensioner. Anybody ever seen or slacked on an "Asana" line.? Not that i'm thinking about buying it, but just curious if there was any first hand feedback available out there. :? :?

wanlessrm

Nov 2, 2003, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Re: Asana slackline kit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a great slackline kit. Mountain Gear must be having great success with it in order to put it on their front page. Its very easy to set up and you don't kill your hands when trying to pull the thing tight.

therealbovine

Nov 3, 2003, 5:35 PM
Post #3 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(Edited to keep the peace...)

Right on Asana for getting the word out there about slacklining.

Best of luck to you guys!

Partner camhead

Nov 3, 2003, 5:48 PM
Post #4 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just remember, to slackline safely, you MUST buy a kit, for the same reason that you HAVE to wear prAna clothes to climb safely.

Partner nashequilibrium

Nov 4, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #5 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with Ethos. Set-up times is quick (line is always flat) & the quality is great.

sus30

Nov 4, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #6 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Asana slackline has been designed for the recreational person who slacklines for fun. It is not designed for extreme high altitude slacklining. The Asana slackline provides a more convenient setup than that of the traditional non-ratcheting system (i.e. two carabiners, 1" webbing, and a lot of sweat). Though all aspects of climbing are inherently dangerous, Asana provides quality products that are safe for the purposes for which they are created. Each of our products have been subjected to rigorous field testing and have ANSI ratings.
Essentially, use the right tool for the right job. If you want to slackline across a canyon, please do not use our product. But if you like to slackline with your friends between a couple of trees, please give us a try. Take some photos, e-mail us, and we may post them to our site.
If you have any further suggestions or comments, please e-mail us at mail@asanapackworks.com. Come visit our site.

Partner nashequilibrium

Nov 4, 2003, 2:56 AM
Post #7 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During the rainy West Virginia summer, a friend had a ethos line at the New & I don't recall sweating any during the set-up. The set-up was simple & required little effort (a couple tugs...).

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 5, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #8 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm.. I wasn't too aware of Asana before. However, juding from what little details are available. I will say their kit is majorly overpriced.

I'm a bit biased, but here's a much more complete kit that has been tested that is much cheaper.

http://www.slacklineexpress.com

snipehunter

Nov 5, 2003, 8:33 PM
Post #9 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, this kid is really psyched about his motorcycle tie-down version of a slackline. I can describe slackline express' slacklines to you in one word, "gay".

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 5, 2003, 9:01 PM
Post #10 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow, this kid is really psyched about his motorcycle tie-down version of a slackline. I can describe slackline express' slacklines to you in one word, "gay".

*shrugs*
40+ people would argue differently. Yes, the web site sucks, it's truly in beta form and is strictly up there as a temporary information interchange.

I'm just promoting the sport, especially to those who are very new at it. I can set a 50' slackline hip high in under a couple minutes by myself. I couldn't do that with the other primitive design setups without them bottoming out.

To me the enthusiasim is warranted, and I've gotten major positive feedback from everyone who's tried it, and that's enough for me.

Partner matt

Nov 5, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #11 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to throw a note in here for whomever is reading this thread.

Rockclimbing.com is here to unite the worldwide community of climbers, and give us all a warm, crackling fire to sit around and trade stories, beta, info, jokes, and other issus on your mind.

That said, we do want the free flow of ideas, however rockclimbing.com is not here so that different companies can come here and spray on the other's product. Unbeknownst to most users up until this point, slacklinejoe is an individual directly affiliated with slacklineexpress.com. Also note that sus30 is CEO of asanpackworks, however his original posts have been left here because he has been trying to shed light on the misrepresented information rather than contribute to this slander. sus30 - your integrity is greatly appreciated. :)

It is for that reason that the information provided in this thread up to this point has been skewed, misrepresented, and blantantly lied about. Frankly, this is deeply disturbing to me. This forum is here for people to share beta, ideas, and experience to help each other out and provide for a much safer climbing environment. You guys (and you know who you are) who are/have lied about your product or your competitor(s) product(s) should be absolutely ashamed. I'm glad I saw this discussion now before it went farther down the road and more people could have been exposed to the lies contained herein and had a very real possibility of seriously injuring themselves.

That said, I have deleted multiple posts contained in this thread to get rid of the lies. I'd like to delete as little as possible, so I left some other posts because I think they help answer the original question (albeit from a biased perspective, but at least in those posts it is explicitly said it is the user's opinion).

I'd like to take this oppportunity to formally slap those competitor's involved in this on the hand. I never again want to witness another gross misrepresentation of information again. If so, it will be grounds for an immediate ban from the website.

Now that the lies are gone, I would love to hear some other users's unbiased thoughts and opinions on the product. Allow the discussion to continue! :)

Sincerely,
Matt Taylor
Administration

Partner matt

Nov 5, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #12 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

*shrugs*
40+ people would argue differently. Yes, the web site sucks, it's truly in beta form and is strictly up there as a temporary information interchange.

I'm just promoting the sport, especially to those who are very new at it. I can set a 50' slackline hip high in under a couple minutes by myself. I couldn't do that with the other primitive design setups without them bottoming out.

To me the enthusiasim is warranted, and I've gotten major positive feedback from everyone who's tried it, and that's enough for me.

snipehunter's post has been deleted due it's complete lack of purpose or even trying to put forth a cogent argument. (hence, why you may notice the quoted post is not listed in this thread anymore).

Spam is NOT tolerated here. Joe - if junk like this comes up again please feel free to email and immediatly bring it to my attention.

I'd like this forum to be an open forum for ideas. If snipehunter wants to troll, he can do it elsewhere.

- Matt
pushtheextreme@rockclimbing.com

iltripp

Nov 5, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #13 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a bit biased, but here's a much more complete kit that has been tested that is much cheaper.

I'll show you a kit that's much cheaper and has withstood many tests. Two trees, a shit load of webbing, two slings for the trees, and 4 biners.

I don't know why anyone would buy a kit that is overpriced when it is so easy to set up your own.

I've heard complaints about difficulty of setting these up, but I took 10 minutes to look on the internet for some ideas and set mine up with no trouble. As for the "two biners and a lot of sweat" comment earlier, use four biners to make a great pulley system that tightens pretty easy.

Screw kits... waste of time and money. Be creative and come up with your own slackline.

Disclaimer: I am talking about recreational slacklining between two trees. I really don't know jack about slacklining over big drops. If you're going to do that, don't take my advice. Do some research and don't die

therealbovine

Nov 5, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #14 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just an FYI for those reading the last few posts by pushtheextreme reguarding "lies" and such.

"pablo_c" (edited out of the above post) and "slacklinejoe" are NOT and have never been affiliated with ethos. Thank you!

therealbovine
(I am with ethos)

sbartman

Nov 5, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #15 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hee hee, this was fun to read. i hope i don't read about "the slackline murders- a fine line between spray and death..."

i also wondered why asana did not use biners from a climbing manufacturer instead of the home depot looking ones... i also haven't looked that hard at them, they may be bomber. also, the ratchet system works fine and makes things easy.... isn't that what we want nowadays? convenience? i have been on "evil motorcycle ratchet" slacklines and they work fine... if you don't want to purchase them, don't, and use the other guys slackline instead of wasting your time tying knots!! hahahaha

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 6, 2003, 1:44 AM
Post #16 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just an FYI for those reading the last few posts by pushtheextreme reguarding "lies" and such.

"pablo_c" and "slacklinejoe" are NOT and have never been affiliated with ethos. Thank you!

therealbovine
(I am with ethos)

Correct, but re-read how he worded it. I think he missed the mark with pablo_c, but had it right with my name. It was just worded funny.

Just to let everyone know me and Sus have worked everything out off-line. My post was refering to such a limited product description and lack of photos for the investment, rather than any comment of quality. I don't think it quite came across that way though...

Back to being one big happy family 8)

Partner matt

Nov 6, 2003, 5:28 AM
Post #17 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

"pablo_c" and "slacklinejoe" are NOT and have never been affiliated with ethos. Thank you!

therealbovine
(I am with ethos)

Correct, but re-read how he worded it. I think he missed the mark with pablo_c, but had it right with my name. It was just worded funny.

Joe,
You hit the nail on the head. I never implied which person was associated with either company.

Also, I want to take this moment to give a huge public apology to both Pablo_c and Joe. Both of you deserve this apology. I'd email you both but my mailclient has a syntax error in runtime code and I don't have the time to dig through it all right now. Pablo: this is also why I havn't gotten back to you, if you happen to see this post by the time I have my email fixed.

I made some snap decisions based off of limited information, and it is because of this that I wrongly accused and insulted both Paul Chambers (pablo_c) and Joe. I should have stepped back and had more concrete information before I came down on either of you. My largest concern was that there was a blatant misrepresentation of crucial information, and it was imperative to take action immediatly - I just did this way too fast. And, it is in no way an excuse for my actions. I'd like to offer my deepest apologies to both of you.

Also, I'd like to take a quick second to say thanks to Joe for sticking around even after I slapped him around here; we really do enjoy your presence on the website, even if I didn't communicate that in a very cogent way today. In addition, I want to say that I just now found out that Paul Chambers is in no way affiliated with either Ethos or slacklineexpress. He is merely a highly educated individual who has been quoted and published in R&I (see the latest issue - LETTERS section), and happens to lurk here on the site. I edited out any refrence to Paul being associated with Ethos or slacklineexpress in my original post. However, I'd still like to leave the post as I hate deleting posts. I think it provides a good record of what someone has said, and I try to delete as little as possible. However, I did not mean to make any refrence to Paul by saying he had lied or misrepresented information. That call is up to the sole discretion of the user reading the information. It's Paul's opinion and should be taken with as much gravity as something you'd hear from me.

That said, I have another midterm tomorrow and need to get some rest. Hopefully this is all worked out now. If any of you have any questions feel free to drop me an email.

G'nite all.

- Matt
pushtheextreme@rockclimbing.com

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 6, 2003, 6:05 AM
Post #18 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you Matt, apology accepted of course.

Ever have one of those threads that you so dearly wish you'd kept reading before hitting the reply button?

Non-the less, I should have been more careful about my words, and having my accidently put my post directly under a post from Asana was the worst possible thing I could have accidentally done. For that I apologize profusely and I give Sus major props for understanding it was a major miscommunicaiton.

As far as I can tell everyone's fine now.

therealbovine

Nov 6, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #19 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a note from the guys here at ethos...

We are psyched to have the opportunity to interact directly with so many climbers and slackliners across the globe through RC.com's site. Seeing more and more companies innovating and promoting slacklining is great. Any time anyone, (being an individual or buisness), shares thoughts, ideas and encourages the sport is always a blessing. Though these companies are direct competition to us, we feel that friendly competition is always welcome, and the exposure that is brought about by "the other guy" helps us all out in the long run.

If you are interested in learning more about slacklining and pre-made slacklines, please visit the following sites:

http://www.ethosclimbing.com
http://www.slackline.com
http://www.asanapackworks.com

Sean Burns
ethos

sus30

Nov 6, 2003, 6:35 PM
Post #20 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their patience and understanding. The slacklining community is truly fortunate to have such knowledgable and caring people supporting them.
I would also like to answer a question that was posted earlier. Asana uses industrial grade carabineers for three reasons. Climbing grade carabineers are not tested or designed for this type of application. With our setup, there is potential for the carabineer to receive pressure from the side. Climbing carabineers are rated in KN's and strength tested for direct pressure. The industrial carabineers are a grade 2 steel. Any person in the fastener industry will explain that grade 2 will stretch dramatically before it breaks, but still maintain the strength needed to meet the ANSI rating. Grade 5 and grade 8 have a higher tensile strength but are more brittle. We discussing this with our designing team we decided that it would be better for the material to stretch out of tolerance instead of snapping. The third reason is that our final goal was to keep the costs as low as possible.

ryanpfleger

Nov 28, 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #21 of 21 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never used or even seen the Asana slackline kit other than on the website, but I have used their crashpads. Good stuff, if I buy a second pad it will probably be from them. I imagine their slackline kits are quality products as well. Just wanted to put in a good word.

Ryan

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook