Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Stone Mountain NC Oct 8 & 9?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

brianinslc

Oct 1, 2003, 4:57 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Stone Mountain NC Oct 8 & 9?  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Stone_Mountain_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On a whim, since I'll be sorta close to the area, thought I'd see if I could find a mid week partner for Stone Mountain.

Will be work dependant for me (on a business trip about 6 hours away)...so...kinda a maybe but...if anyone's interested in hookin' up, please PM me.

Have been to Stone once (rained out) and shut down another time (also due to rain). Really been wantin' to get back to climb some of them scary friction routes. Isn't there a southern expression, "shakin' like a dog passin' peach pits"? Yeah, that'd be me. Still, fun, easy/moderates like the Great Arch, Grand Funk RR, etc etc are callin'.

Since I'll be travelling out of a carry on bag, any hints for hotels and food (pork ribs/ale) in the area would be mucho appreciated...(Elkin?)...

Also posted lookin' for a partner for Red River Gorge. If I can swing the work done early thing, then I'd prefer to head to Stone for a day or two (8 and 9 Oct), then head out to Tennessee for the weekend...(partnered for that gig). Maybe, if motivated, swing thru RRG enroute. 3 states in five daze?

Any interest? Please let me know.

Road trip!

Thanks!

-Brian in SLC

norskagent

Oct 1, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Re: Stone Mountain NC Oct 8 & 9? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not much culture in Elkin...Wilksboro (1/2 hr.) may have something, Boone (1 hr.) definitely does...get on "fantastic" 5.9 for some cool knob climbing, also "electric boobs" 5.9 has cool bulgy sections...

cliffhanger2040

Nov 8, 2003, 2:56 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey don't know if you will still be checking this as it is friday night. I'm getting ready to head to stone mnt. I'll be there until sometime sunday. Look me up if you're interested in climbing. I'll be the one with the naked lady on my forearm! Steve

brianinslc

Nov 10, 2003, 3:40 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey don't know if you will still be checking this as it is friday night. I'm getting ready to head to stone mnt. I'll be there until sometime sunday. Look me up if you're interested in climbing. I'll be the one with the naked lady on my forearm! Steve

Came and went! Climbed at Moores Wall on 10/30 pm. Then Stone on 10/31 and 11/1. Finished up in the morn of 11/2 at Table Rock at Linville Gorge. Super trip. Wow, you NC climbers got some terrain to play on!

Fun stuff...

Brian in SLC

dingus

Nov 10, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So whudya climb Brian?

DMT

brianinslc

Nov 11, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So whudya climb Brian?
DMT

We arrived at Moores wall pretty late in the afternoon...and, was sorta bonus for climbin' as neither one of us had to work that day and we were drivin' down from Fairfax, VA. Had time for one route. Picked a beaut. Zoo View. I'm still pinchin' myself. Must be the best 5.7 I've ever done. Wow. Felt like my soul was goin' to leave my body a couple of times was so good.

Stone, I'd been to once and planned for another and rained out. Had seen the place, walked to the base, did the loop hike, all in the rain. Had wood for especially Grand Funk Railroad.

We arrived on a Friday. Only car in the parkin' lot, so, kinda eery. Hiked up, set up, still no other folks. Blue bird day, and I was bummed 'cause I forgot my shorts and it was warm warm (homey don't tolerate too much heat so well, but, was a bit of a breeze and was just fine). We scampered up the Block Route to reach the tree ledge, then, figured since there was no one around, we'd sneak up the Great Arch. Neat route. Caught a TR on the first pitch of Rainy Day Woman, and some variation that starts to the right of that and ends at the same anchor. Nice to get used to some harder friction before tryin' it on point. Next up was the Great White Way. Had a heckuva time committing to the move over the first bolt, but, 4th try a charm. Then, no problemo for the rest of the route. Neat-o water groove. Cool combo of stemmy gastony cross tension. We rapped off and drove to Boone for meat and beverages.

Next am, back to Stone, parkin' lot a whole lot different this go 'round. Now it feels like a climbing area, and a popular one ta boot. We went straight away to Grand Funk RR. Not too many folk over on that side. 1st pitch I kinda fooled myself into thinkin' a couple of dinky TCU's and a stopper might hold body weight...then clipped bolt and traverse to right to the dike, up past another bolt (durn sport climb!) and to the belay. Topo we had didn't show two bolts on the next pitch, so, I laughed clippin' the second one and made a comment about gettin' ripped off. Two moves later one foot blew and I 'bout ate that comment...and then laughed so hard 'bout fell off... Next couple of pitches not much pro but great climbing. Then we dropped down, TR'd Electric Boobs and Orange Blossom Special (yeah, someone was in a "special" place puttin' that thing up). Feet tired, we head back to Boone for some pork-cicles.

Sunday, did a quick jaunt up the North Ridge of Table Rock, hiked back down thru the Devil's Cellar, picked up the packs and drove north.

2 days, 2 1/2 days, 20 pitches...yeah, still pinchin' m'self. Great trip. Unreal weather. Hit 85F on the drive north.

Came home and immediately called Harrison Shull and ordered his Southeastern Rock picture book. Can't wait to relive some of that stuff, at least from the ol' armchair. Book looks great...(shameless plug).

Brian in SLC

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook