RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

reddaisies

Nov 9, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #1 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Shanghai and Hong Kong?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be in Hong Kong and Shanghai from Nov 21 - December 13. I will be with family, so my time climbing will be limited, assuming that there will be any climbing time at all. I can probably get away for an afternoon or morning at a time. can anybody give me any info about climbing indoors or outdoors? I would prefer a place that's not really secluded just so i don't have a family chaperone me while i go climb. I mostly boulder and top rope. I will be bringing my shoes and chalk bag only. And can i get more info about the weather? i'm told it'll be "cold". how cold is cold? also, any information about how to kill time at night by myself would be cool too. (please save me from a chinese opera) any other interesting information would be helpful too.

nagatana

Nov 9, 2003, 5:57 AM
Post #2 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing in Shanghai and Hong Kong? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather-wise, HK'll be cool (long sleeves, equivalent to winters in the Bay Area), while Shanghai'll definitely chilly (upper-30s to low-40s, I'm thinking). I don't know anything 'bout the climbing situation, but since Shanghai is the most metropolitan city in China, I'm sure there'll be climbing walls. HK is probably same due to former British rule.

edit: Google came up with this gem, hope that helps. Also, have you checked our own China section? Wouldn't hurt to PM some of the users listed there.

dc

Nov 9, 2003, 9:00 AM
Post #3 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
I can't help you with Shanghai but I've lived in Hong Kong for about 13 years so I can tell you a bit about it :wink: .

Firstly weather:
for hong kongers it is "cold".. but probably for anyone else it wouldn't be considered much. At the moment the temperature is in the low 20's (that's celsius.. so around low 70's in fahrenheit) but by december it usually gets down to 15C (around 60 Fahrenheit)... long sleeves will probably be the best clothing, but have a few short sleeves in case the temperature remains higher.. and its best to have a jacket or two.. in case a cold front comes along early.

Time killing:
there's actually alot to do in HK.. its not some backward little fishing village... i dont know what you're into but there's movies, extreme sports (beaches - surfing, bodyboarding, etc, skateparks, paragliding..) limitless number of basketball courts, soccer pitches, there's tennis, golf, bowling, pool/snooker, Inline Hockey Tournaments, live plays, amusement park - Ocean Park - open at night, and lots of restaurants and bars, etc...
if you let me know what sort of stuff you're into then i could be more helpful...

and most importantly, CLIMBING:
i've posted lots of information in the routes database for Hong Kong.. but many of those places are quite hard to get to and require some getting about by at least 3 modes of transport, excluding the hour's hike... so...
the YMCA in Tsim Sha Tsui (pronounced "chim sa choy") is probably the easiest place to get to.. and is quite good if you don't mind pulling plastic. It has two rooms about 7 metres high with over 30 top rope routes set up. Unfortunately all the outdoor climbing is harder to get to and quite secluded.

Feel free to PM me or reply with more info on what you're interested in and so on and I'll be happy to help! If you tell me where you're going to be staying I can give you exact directions on how to get to the indoor wall.

Hope I've helped a bit... I have lots more to say about HK but theres not enough space... its turning into an article... so just PM me or email me and I'll tell you more bout HK...

dc

Nov 9, 2003, 1:56 PM
Post #4 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here's a useful site:

http://webserv2.discoverhongkong.com/usa/
- its a page from the Hong Kong Tourism Board and it basically just lets you know whats going on in hong kong..

Partner chugach001

Nov 9, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #5 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Red and DC,

I'll be in Hong Kong and borderingChina for work the first two weeks of December. If (if) I can get any time off, I'll send you an email and see about some climbing.

Cheers,
Jeff

benjack

Nov 10, 2003, 6:50 AM
Post #6 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climbing scene in HK is very active. Go to

www.hongkongclimbing.com

Stuart has put a lot of work to make an ecxellent source of information and place to make contact with local climbers.

also feel free to email me directly on benjack@netvigator.com if you need more info.

Rgds and have fun

dc

Nov 10, 2003, 9:21 AM
Post #7 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Red and DC,

I'll be in Hong Kong and borderingChina for work the first two weeks of December. If (if) I can get any time off, I'll send you an email and see about some climbing.

Cheers,
Jeff

sounds great! im up to it!

dc

Nov 11, 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #8 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I will be in Hong Kong and Shanghai from Nov 21 - December 13

In reply to:
I'll be in Hong Kong and borderingChina for work the first two weeks of December

anyone else coming over here? :wink: :D :?:
...we could have a rc.com gathering! :lol:

Partner chugach001

Nov 11, 2003, 2:17 PM
Post #9 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,

I went to HongKongClimbing.com and Lion's Head looks great. Anybody know how French Sport Grades compare to the Yosemite Decimal System? Still working on my travel plans but if I have any free time I'll definately be in touch.

Thanks,
Jeff

tcollins

Nov 11, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #10 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can gete a grade conversion chart over on the left hand side of this page, under articles.

TD

liciarothermel

Nov 11, 2003, 4:03 PM
Post #11 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Waaaah! Wish I'd been into rock climbing when I was in Hong Kong 99/2000. :cry: :cry: Plenty of rock all over the place, but I didn't have a clue. Oh, well. Next time...

reddaisies

Nov 11, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #12 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everyone for info. i'm definitely going to be looking for climbing partners while in Hong Kong. I'll probably have time to climb in the second week of december. I'm going to be hoping around hong kong, guangzhou and shanghai several times for the first two weeks, then finanly staying in Hong Kong for the second week in decemeber. I don't know how much i'll have access to the internet, or a phone number. if you guys have any ideas about how we can meet up, please let me know. :) Thanks!

far_east_climber

Nov 13, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #13 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey :) , i'm up for it aswell... there's sure to be a computer at ur hotel or in a net cafe nearby... PCC or starbucks are free to use..

dc, when are we gonna check out tung lung?

dc

Nov 14, 2003, 9:19 AM
Post #14 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey,
matt - we can go next week sometime.. i really wanna check it out too! PM (or just call) me and tell me when you're free (especially considering we don't have school next week!)

red - hey! yeah what matt (far_east_climber) said is definately true.. theres no escaping technology in hong kong... how much climbing are u up for? we could go to Shek O and do some top roping.. or if you prefer indoor climbing then we could go to the YMCA.. we can do bouldering there too... its up to you, what type of climbing do u wanna do?

jeff - keep us updated on your travel plans... also what type of climbing are you into?

talk to you guys later,
:wink: :D

reddaisies

Nov 14, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #15 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey guys, the tentative plan for me is that i will be in HK Nov 22-23, 27-dec 1, and dec 6-13. I don't really care which one we do, but it will be easier for me to boulder because i only have my shoes. please email me when the time get closer about when you guys can go climbing. I'll try and check email when i'm there.

thanks!
Vicky :)

haggis

Nov 15, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #16 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please dont go to HK without your gear,the climbing is superb and Decembers a crackin month weather wise.I lived there for years and you must not miss Lion Rock, "seatysan" i believe is the way to pronounce it in HK.
For a taxi "seatysan um goy" and then make peculiar monkey motions in the back.
Checkout The Austrian Staircase and Wards Grooves there incredible routes.Gwailo is an old favourite too.Tiger is good also though the first pitch is staunch,use Austrian staircase to bypass pitch 1.
Well bolted,good exposure,stunning views....a must for all climbers.
Thanks are in order to Martain Lancaster for all his good work on Lion Rock.Keep an eye out for him, he has a tendancy to appear half way up!!
Indoor climbing in HK,s YMCA,s requires a short test for leaders so enquire first.Go to Jordans YMCA for their outdoor wall its miles better.

Nightlife-Chasers in TST do good live music by Phillapino cover bands and Stella on draft.
Dan Ryans does a good Oyster shooters.The China Jump does a dentist chair
If your flush Lan Kwai Fong is where its at,loads of bars with people spilling into the streets.Recommend La Jardan

China,ive only climbed in Guailin-Moon Rock so i cant help there
Enjoy you lucky lucky thing

olariua

Nov 19, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #17 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I will be in Hong Kong and Shanghai from Nov 21 - December 13

In reply to:
I'll be in Hong Kong and borderingChina for work the first two weeks of December

anyone else coming over here? :wink: :D :?:
...we could have a rc.com gathering! :lol:

Well... actually I'll also be in HK starting Nov 20th, until Dec 3rd.
It would be great if we could hook up for some climbing.

Cheers,
Andrei

reddaisies

Nov 19, 2003, 6:35 AM
Post #18 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

latest news: i got a harness!!! YAY! I don't have to borrow anymore! so now, i'll have a harness and shoes over there. :) any more ideas about when and where to climb? the best thing to do to contact me is to PM me. If i can get to internet, i will check this site for messages. :)

nagatana

Nov 20, 2003, 8:03 AM
Post #19 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slightly OT: anyone in Beijing?

far_east_climber

Nov 26, 2003, 3:42 AM
Post #20 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any of you visiting hong kong slackline or would like to?

Partner chugach001

Dec 1, 2003, 1:40 AM
Post #21 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leaving for Hk tomorrow. Can't wait. My climbing days are still the 10, 11 and 14th of Dec. DC and FEC is up for some routes and post-climbing beers. Anyone else? Contact me here through PM.

Cheers,
Jeff

reddaisies

Dec 3, 2003, 3:33 AM
Post #22 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am in hong kong today, but i leave for beijing tomorrow and i'm be back in HK until sunday afternoon. Please Pm me if you want to go climbing. preferably outdoors and on the weekdays. but i can deal with indoors. I'll check for messages on Monday.

Partner chugach001

Dec 10, 2003, 7:21 AM
Post #23 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Sunday D14 - all day [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunday Dec. 14 - I'm available for climbing all day. Anyone interested in sharing a rope? PM if so.

Jeff

hongkongstuey

Dec 30, 2003, 8:29 AM
Post #24 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you must not miss Lion Rock, "seatysan" i believe is the way to pronounce it in HK.

people might want to break this up into three words to get taxi drivers to understand you - sea ty san - also add 'gong yun' at the end (means country park)

Haggis,

Martins done a runner these days - his contract finished back in the summer and he's been living the 'endless summer' with climbing trips here there and everywhere since then - lucky sod

glad to hear you enjoyed Tiger, the second pitch is one of the finest on Lion Rock in my view (but then i put it up so i would say that...........)

Stu

ecowain

Jan 12, 2004, 7:12 AM
Post #25 of 25 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nagatana,

Take climbing toys to Beijing if you are there. There is some decent mountaineering to be found in adjacent hebei province during winter and spring. Cold though.

I'm not in Beijing anymore, but there are several mountaineering clubs in the universities, I joined one in Qinghua Uni, and had friends in Beida. They often head off to suburban crags (Baihe and Jinshan are two I remember), and train for trips to western china (I think we single-handedly carried more bricks into rural hebei than has ever been done before :D.

Well, that's even more off topic than before...

Shanghai is flat flat flat. Some gyms if that's your thing. There is massive potential in the Huangshan for long multi-pitch slab and crack routes, but I imagine that it would be heavily frowned upon by the tourist authorities. The rock quality looked decent, but kind of hard to tell as it was all under a layer of ice when I was there last time.

Also, anyone know if there is any established climbing in the limestone gorges of southwest guizhou?.

owain.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook