Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
If you were going to make a safety line, how'd you do it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 17, 2003, 5:55 PM
Post #1 of 3 (998 views)
Shortcut

If you were going to make a safety line, how'd you do it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've tossed ideas back and forth and while I've got a fall leash in my product line up, I'm hoping for recommendations from more seasoned slackers.

What'd you recommend for a top-line backup?
What'd you recommend for a backup that you fall below and climb back up?

If you want to compare with what I do have, thats at:
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/accessories.htm

Comments on my setup positive and negative are welcome - please keep it reasonable and constructive. Remember though, I'm shooting for what features YOU would like to see in a kit, regardless of who makes it, not what sucks about so and so.

dobbsboy

Nov 18, 2003, 8:00 AM
Post #2 of 3 (998 views)
Shortcut

Re: If you were going to make a safety line, how'd you do it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want a highline leash to be safe/redundant, you have to have consistency. Make it redundant where it attaches to the harness, two carabiners which you have done. Make the actual leash from two separate pieces, which looking at your picture there seems to be only one piece. And two points that connect to the slackline, from your description and picture it is hard to determine what you have. As far as your Quick connect, I'm not able to discern how it works and what comprimises the system from your website. I feel that you need to do nothing more with your highline leash than tuck it into your leg loop on your harness, or tape it. Furthermore, you don't seem to have a good understanding of all the dynamics of a safe system. So i'm not sure if you should be advertising and selling this product, but kudos on the rest of your creativity.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 18, 2003, 11:16 AM
Post #3 of 3 (998 views)
Shortcut

Re: If you were going to make a safety line, how'd you do it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you want a highline leash to be safe/redundant, you have to have consistency. Make it redundant where it attaches to the harness, two carabiners which you have done. Make the actual leash from two separate pieces, which looking at your picture there seems to be only one piece. And two points that connect to the slackline, from your description and picture it is hard to determine what you have. As far as your Quick connect, I'm not able to discern how it works and what comprimises the system from your website. I feel that you need to do nothing more with your highline leash than tuck it into your leg loop on your harness, or tape it. Furthermore, you don't seem to have a good understanding of all the dynamics of a safe system. So i'm not sure if you should be advertising and selling this product, but kudos on the rest of your creativity.

Ah, I should have clarified, that photo is more for the idea of how it works more than anything. I haven't sold them and I won't until I feel confident in the setup, I put that up for this thread to show what I had so far.

Yes, use two strands of rope in the setup already - that photo only had 1 rope and 1 carabiner since I was about 5-7 feet up and just wanting to see how long of a line I'd want.

The quick disconnect is just there to replace duct taping it to the back of your harness. It either connects to a rear gear loop on your harness or uses some poly cord to tie a loop around the back of your harness for it to attach to.

And your right, I need a lot more info on fall dynamics - I'm not a highliner by any means. Thats why I posted hear hoping for good ideas and resources. Once I finish compiling the info, I plan on putting it together as general instructions for others more than trying to sell them. My focus is still designing gear for the backyard slacker, not the highliners.

Also, any ideas on how many falls climbing rope should take before being swapped out?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$179.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook