RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

lemon_boy

Nov 18, 2003, 1:46 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

witness position
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

this is probably going to sound really funny, but something that i have been doing to help me use the witness perspective better is to visualize myself as a crusty old farmer named jethro. picture some ancient, unshaven, toothless old goat from a grade c western. a comical guy with a funny nose and a flask of texas ten high in his belt. leaning on a shovel with a mouthful of tobacky.

when i am on a face route or slab route that gets hard to read, i imagine the old fellah gazing off into the sunset, contemplating a silly question that a city-slicker just asked. imagine him spit a big old wad of brown chaw on the ground.

then i picture jethro (myself) asking slowly and thoughtfully, 'hmmmmm, if i were a left handhold where would i be?" etc.

what does this do for me?

it helps me relax and realize that being overly serious and needlessly crushing the hand holds isn't going to help. it also relaxes my focus into more of a soft vision state, as opposed to scanning the rock with eyeballs burning. it also makes me feel wise and experienced, crafty and resourceful.

arnoilgner

Nov 19, 2003, 9:15 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Re: witness position [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, play with ways to be the witness.
Mainly, though, observe your thoughts and let go of limiting "comfort" thoughts.
arno

vivalargo

Jan 13, 2004, 4:56 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most folks find the crux of entering the witness position to be separating from the rational, evaluating mind. In fact, many confuse the rational mind for the witness position, and it will always remain so untill you can experience, in real time, yourself simply watching your own thoughts and realizing that they are not "you." No need to try and silence these thoughts -- just watch them and the impulses they fuel.

JL

arnoilgner

Jan 13, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. I agree John.
arno

dredsovrn

Feb 28, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interestingly, I have no trouble getting into the witness position in my work. I have been in sales for a long time and manage and teach a lot of sales people. When I am in front of a client and making a presentation or closing a deal, I feel like I am standing next to the event and watching. It puts me in a position to see what is really happening and make quick changes based on what happens rather than what I expect to happen.

I am new to the warrior way in terms of climbing. I don't have the level of fear in sales that I sometimes encounter while climbing that clouds that true vision. I hope that with continued focus and practice that it becomes as clear for me while climbing.

unabonger

Mar 1, 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Interestingly, I have no trouble getting into the witness position in my work. I have been in sales

Probably a great quality for a salesperson to have. The Harvard Business Review wrote about the qualities that predict a successful seller: First: Empathy, because the seller must make a potential buyer believe they completely understand what they need.

Also a powerful Ego with two components: A strong need to sell in order to see oneself as succesful, and an utter inability to feel disapointed when a sale fails. The former drives the hard work it takes, the latter prevents discouragement that would hinder future efforts.

Maybe a bit off topic but interesting nonetheless.

UB

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook