RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

its_me_drew

Feb 27, 2002, 4:38 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1503 views)
Shortcut

How many at the same time.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was curious as to your opinions on how many groups should be on the same route at the same time. For instance lets say that you are climbing 5 pitches sport/trad doesn't matter. And there is a group ahead of you lets say 2 pitches up, do you continue and go after them on the same route? or would you prefer to wait untill they get a little higher or finish? Or lets say that you were the group that is up there would you feeel comfortable to have someone climbing under you on the same route at the same time? What if you are the second group and are faster climbers and you catch up to the first group, what do you do then? Pass them? Wait for them to continue? How safe do you feel passing, or being passed? What about when doing a something big like anything on El Cap, how much distance do you think is reasonable to keep between the groups? I think that you guys get the point of what I'm asking, the reason is that I was channel surfing last sunday and I got a chance to see Veritcal Limit for the hundredth time, and since you all know what happened in the begining of that move, about one group falling on the other so to speak, I started wondering how many and how close at the same time?

kman

Feb 27, 2002, 4:45 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1503 views)
Shortcut

How many at the same time. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In terms of ice climbing you should never climb above / below some one else.

its_me_drew

Feb 27, 2002, 4:47 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I meant rock, solely rock, no ice.

fireclimber

Feb 27, 2002, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well If you climb somewhere popular you can have several groups on a climb. for example the royal arches route in Yosemite probally has a group starting every 5-10 minutes so start early. Also be carefull when letting ppl pass you may have to hang in an uncomfortable position for an hour or so. And always yell when you drop something so ppl can look up and get hit in the face instead of the helmet.

morgan_fines

Mar 1, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know I'd feel uncomfortable climbing underneath some other group, especially if I didn't know them and how safe they climb. You never know when they might dump some rock (or gear) your way.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook