RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

tawl

Nov 24, 2003, 10:53 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

slacklining hurts my knee
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Every time i slackline now, my right knee hurts afterwards for at least a day. On the outside, about where the joint is. Its never hurt before the last few weeks, and i've always been hard on my knees - bouldering, mountain biking, etc. Is slacklining just that abusive or am i doing something wrong?

micronut

Nov 24, 2003, 11:32 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacklining hurts my knee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

............go skate stance.

Or

maybe your knee pain is caused by shock from falling off.

tawl

Nov 24, 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think its from falling off, which i do less now than when i started and my knee didn't start hurting till recently. Plus i fall off boulders all the time and it never seems to bother me.

Maybe the lateral vibrations absorbed by the knees? Not many sports cause that much force pushing your legs perpendicular to your feet.

In reply to:
Don't slackline

And i'd like to try and figure out what exactly is causing it/ how i can fix it before i just give up... If we all quit climbing the first time we tweaked a tendon, how many of us would be left?

dc

Nov 27, 2003, 6:54 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey,
same! my left knee is hurtin today after a short session of slacklining.. i start on my left foot and it stays bent and tensed more than my right.. but it just hurts now.. like it feels internally bruised or sumthing..

iltripp

Nov 27, 2003, 9:38 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How are you on flexibility?? A lot of knee troubles can actually be caused by hamstring flexibility. My freshman year in high school, I had a season-ending knee injury that was probably caused by my super-tight hams. I had to watch the State Champonship Cross Country race from the sidelines. It was a bummer, but it taught me to start stretching. My particular problem had something to do with the tracking of your kneecap (i forget the scientific name of the condition). I've also hurt a tendon fairly bad probably because of the same lack of flexibility. My suggestion would be to stretch a helluva lot before, during, and after slacklining.

tawl

Nov 28, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hm... could be from flexibility. I'm not really flexible, not terrible though. I mean i can bend over and touch my toes. I'll have to try and stretch out a bunch next time i break out the line.

andyw

Jan 20, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it may be your flexibility, maybe your foot wants to go one way and your other foot doesnt alow it so you may be working against the joint. Or it could be your knee is building up musce and putting strain on your tennons so maybe it just takes some getting used to

jacob

Jan 20, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, last time I went slacklining, My shoulder hurt. Oh yeah, i remember, I dislocated it. But seriously, My family has a history of bad knees and I'm no exception. I would recomend a knee brace or a wrap to keep the pain in check. And stretching is soooo important. I learned this the hard way. If I had only stretched before my last session I prolly could have prevented my shoulder injury. Now I have three climbless, slackline-less weeks to sulk and think about my mistake. STRETCH, Warm up, then STRETCH SOME MORE. And wear knee braces. I also use my cordless d-lux crashpad to soften falls.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook