Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
how long did it take you to get the hang of slacklining?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

far_east_climber

Nov 27, 2003, 3:03 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1521 views)
Shortcut

how long did it take you to get the hang of slacklining?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kind of a broad question but how long did it take you to get the hang of slacklining, i.e. balancing/standing on it... then walking across it, then maybe doing drop-knee etc. just curious... how long has dean potter been slacklining?

psych

Nov 27, 2003, 7:46 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Re: how long did it take you to get the hang of slacklining? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no master of tricks yet, but I can walk across my 25 foot'ish line, turn and walk back, and jump start basically. To walk across it one way took maybe 3 actual days of trying, after 1 full day of trying it was much more enjoyable. I've only done it maybe 10 full days now, so...
Mike...

afiveonbelay

Nov 27, 2003, 10:23 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

15' length rigged close to the ground 4 hours; standing one legged, standing more than 4minutes, walking length of slack line forwards and backwards

25' length rigged higher 2 hours to get back to where I was the previous day

Will try longer and higher next time

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 27, 2003, 5:39 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I think I'm the worst newbie I've ever heard of. I really sucked at slacking when I started... like I couldn't stand up for a full 2 days.

I didn't take my first solid two steps for close to a week and a half when trying for an hour or two 5 nights a week.

Funny thing is, once it clicked, it just clicked. It took at least two weeks of slacking a lot before I could walk a 25'. But 2 more days and I was doing it backwards with jump mounts. One more week I was doing 50', another was 50' backwards or with my hands completely in my pockets the whole way and forwards 75'...

After a month or so keeping up that kind of pace I kinda leveled off at that since I got tied up in school and I don't have as many long distance places available. I expect this summer to include some insane tricks if I've still got it in me.

I've taught a lot of people how to slackline in an afternoon, but man it's kinda embarasing to say it took me a full 2 weeks to walk a line, but at least I stuck ith it.

alikb

Nov 27, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4 or 5, 10 or 20 minute sesions and I managed to walk a 25 foot line close to the ground. It wasn't until after another 3 or 4 short sesions that I was able to do this consistently though, as well as walking backwards, turning, and the jump start. After this walking longer/higher lines was just a matter of spending a few minutes getting a feel for the line.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook