RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

crimper

Nov 21, 2003, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Ideal width for slacklining...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, I'm going to start a little slacklining fun here at FSU. I would like some feedback on how wide (or thin) the slackline should be. I can guesstimate, but I would like to hear from you guys...

couloir

Nov 21, 2003, 4:41 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ideal width for slacklining... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1-inch

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 21, 2003, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traditional is 1" - it seems to be a good flex but still not hurt your feet.

5/8 or 9/16 work well too, but are little bit harder on your feet - but otherwise behave about the same. If your walking their great, if your jumping or jump mounting it might be consiered a bit harsh. Thinner and I'm not sure it'd be that fun.

2" is "ok" I've tried it but it seems more like walking rope than slacklining. It swayed but didn't really stretch for the expected bounce.

As for the thickness/ type of the webbing, thicker ususally means heavier duty, but not always - check the specs of the webbing as some thick weaves are light duty. Most of the 1" webbing out there is strong enough to slack with on a normal setup - but I'd recommend going with proven strengths.

Polypro: very light, cheap, not too terribly strong, water resistant, usually feels slicker and looks a bit shiny. I've used these on quick and dirty 30' lines and they feel pretty good - oddly I never got them to show any wear at all, but it was slick so I didn't spend as much time on it as the others. This stuff comes in all types of thicknesses.

Flat nylon: moderately light, a little cheaper than tubular but half the strength of it. If its a thin weave you'll find it curves under your feet, so instead of contacting 1" of webbing, it makes a a kind of upside down U so it is kind of rounded. If it's a thicker flat weave it will only do it a little. Flat nylon is usually fairly thin, but can still be strong.

Tubular nylon: prefered for a good kit. It is thicker and stronger, costs a bit more but won't wear out as quickly and gives a much more flat feel since it doesn't buckle under much at all.

Your mileage may very, but I've set up good lines with all three.

crimper

Nov 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklinejoe,
thank you a lot for the input. I should be rigging a slackline up here at FSU within the next few months... funds allowing...

thank you again!

crimper

dc

Nov 27, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey,
far_east_climber and myself, when we go slacklining, use 1 inch tubular webbing.. i think thats definiately the standard width used...
...sorry i dont quite have as much to say as slacklinejoe did :wink:

psych

Nov 27, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go any smaller than 1-inch and you risk looking like a tight-rope walker, and might as well get some slippers to wear on the line...pink ones.
Mike...

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 28, 2003, 7:20 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go any smaller than 1-inch and you risk looking like a tight-rope walker, and might as well get some slippers to wear on the line...pink ones.
Mike...

For what it's worth, I've had some good lines on 9/16 and 5/8, they stretch line a mother (or at lines my webbing seemed to) so you've gotta compensate. It's much better for "surfing" tricks than jumping and turning and such... it's a bit harsh for that. It's much nicer doubled up than a single line to remove most of the "bowing" under your feet. I was using 9/16 tubular nylon single strands and man that was harsh after 10 minutes if you try to do any tricks. Doubled up it wasn't too bad though.

For narrow lines I usually go cheap though - a roll of poly pro webbing in 5/8 or 9/16 can be had very cheap. I picked up a 300yd new & sealed roll of 5/8 for something line 6 or 8 bucks. Of course now I'm stuck with one heck of a lot of webbing I won't sell except for special orders - but it's ok for my personal off the wall stuff. Strength isn't a big issue since you most likely won't be doing long lines on thin stuff anyway.

crimper

Dec 3, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks All! I'm saving up monies for the purhcase... again... thanks

adm4now

Dec 4, 2003, 4:26 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mike...
I tottaly agree!! But Instead of just pink. TiE dIe!¡

LoL

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 4, 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before you bash narrow webbing too much remember Scott Balcom has done some cool stuff on super tape (15mm / 7/16" webbing) or at least I think that was the size of super tape.

I tried it, and it's not my thing, but it certainly has it's place.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook