RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

adamtd

Nov 27, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1622 views)
Shortcut

The sacred bond between partners!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mark Twight and many others have talked about the sacred bond between limbing partners, especially in an alpine setting. I thought I would start this string for people to discuss partners, tell stories, or what have you. I know my partners and I have seen each other at our best and worst. We've seen each other cry, laugh, get frustrated, etc. We stand by each other no matter what. Syure we have disagreements, but in teh end we're there for each other whether it's girl trouble, family trouble, financial trouble, or a bar fight. What do y'all have to say?

muncher

Nov 27, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Re: The sacred bond between partners! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first main climbing partner was a complete mess. He was an alcoholic, smoked heaps of dope (so do I so nothing wrong with that) and usually had to drop in to the parole office on our way to the crag. Most of the times we went to the gym he would ask when we there if I could pay for him. No worries there, but it did piss me off a little when he always had money for a stop at the bottle shop on the way home grrrrrrrrr. Still, with all his faults he was a good partner, showed me around heaps of crags, taught me alot of technique, showed me how to place gear etc and until last week I was proud to say that thanks to him I sent all my hardest routes stoned. We would go out and find new bouldering areas together and I would help him on some FA's here and there. He was a good partner for a while but not someone you could hang with for years and years, just too much hard work when you weren't at the crag.

Hardly the type of bond you would get between alpine climbers where you life is constantly on the line but we had a fair amount of respect for each other and sure had some good times.

cryder

Nov 28, 2003, 3:49 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a good idea for a thread.

I have had a few rubs with partners... besides the more common things like motivation and fitness levels, my most memorable is I once was snow shoeing in waist deep powder on approach to a climb. I was fiddling with a gu in my jacket and noticed that it had opened and completely slimed the inside of my new parka. Then I fell backwards off the trail when I tripped on a boulder... and was stuck in an akward position and my legs began to cramp. He laughed (instead of helping me up) and I was furious, gu-laden, and had a fresh packing of snow in my jacket. Later in the day was one my most satisfying summits ever. Since then that partner and I have gone our seperate ways (he lives on the east coast now), but that is one of my favorite memories of him and he was the one who got me into climbing mountains.

furryfrisbee

Nov 28, 2003, 4:46 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I met my first climbing partner at Galyan's. It had just opened and I was letting my kids try the wall, which they talked me into trying. I went back a few times, and met Colleen trying the same thing. We saw a flyer for a climbing gym, and decided to try it together. We wound up joining the gym together, and climbing together for over a year indoors before we went outside. We got to the point of working 11's indoors, and starting to lead sport outdoors together, when an injury stopped her climbing (work related). I've been climbing with other partners, but I haven't been able to get as comfortable as I was with Colleen, even with women I was dating. My current partner is much more experienced, and I hoping he can help me get my head back in the game.

roadguy

Nov 28, 2003, 4:50 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry to pour cold water on this otherwise good thread, but I am coming to the point where the word "sacrad" drives me up a freaking wall. I'm a masage thearpist and when I was doing some classes everything the instructors would talk about was "sacred" this and "sacred" that. Its important and all...but lets not get all over done about the realationships or anything...geez..it makes it sound so life and death or something

adamtd

Nov 28, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roadguy,
wow I'm surprised at what an a$$ you are. I started this forum just as a chance for people to tell stories and enjoy hearing other's stories. If you read my original post about what this topic was about, I was talking about the bond between alpine climbing partners where it can be life or death. When my climbing partner are on a mountain in a whiteout with severe avalanche danger and we're completely disoriented, it's -25 and the wind is blowing at about 100 mph, so we can barely stand up... it is life or death. There is a bond that forms. If you want to complain about your massage teacher and their choice of words, why not complain to your fellow classmates.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook