Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Building a slackline setup without trees?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

dnwolfgang

Nov 29, 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 22 (19098 views)
Shortcut

Building a slackline setup without trees?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to set up a slackline in my backyard. The trouble is, there are no trees in my backyard. Has anybody done this?

My immediate thought is a more permanent solution than I would like. It would be to put two fence posts into the ground with contrete, then anchor each post with two "Shed screw anchors" so that they would not collapse inward over time. This would work I know, but again, that's a pretty permanent solution.

I'm sure it could be done in the fashion of a swingset. Two A-Frames with a beam in between for support. This would be less permanent and length-adjustable with relative ease (as compared to the above).

Any other thoughts?

psych

Nov 29, 2003, 6:05 PM
Post #2 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Re: Building a slackline setup without trees? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two sawhorses, and some decent anchoring of them to the ground (not sure how you'd accomplish that, guess it would depend on the type of ground they rest on). Or string the webbing overtop of the sawhorses, then anchor the webbing at either end to the ground, but tightening would be a bitch...
Mike...

dnwolfgang

Nov 29, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #3 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes that is a good idea... That would be easily movable for length by just moving one of the sawhorses and re-anchoring it.. The Height on them is perfect for a beginner also.

Thanks dude!

jesskis

Dec 5, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #4 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am in the same situation and i have some saw horses and some big old horse shoe stakes it i put the stakes in at an angle and string my line up on the saw horses i found out you cant do it in the mornings because of the sprinkler effect on my lawn and soil. i have seen other stuff where you dig a hole put some thing big in it with a rope or chain tied to it. refill the hole and leave just a little of the chain/rope sticking out i dont know how well it would work but it sounds good. i guess the time and effort you spend on barrying your anchor you could just plant a tree and live with going to the park till they get big enough.

ryanhos

Dec 5, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #5 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See here

styndall

Dec 5, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #6 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's simple.

Buy an apple.
Eat it.
Plant the seeds where you want your trees.
Grow trees.
Slackline.

See? simple

pighumper

Dec 6, 2003, 2:18 AM
Post #7 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great plan Johnny Appleseed! It's so simple yet brilliant.
Is there a particular variety of apple tree that is a fast grower?

Perhaps you can help those rock climbers living in the midwest. What should they do to wakeup one morning and find a "big wall" rising in the corn field?

ryanhos

Dec 6, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #8 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Great plan Johnny Appleseed! It's so simple yet brilliant.
Is there a particular variety of apple tree that is a fast grower?

Perhaps you can help those rock climbers living in the midwest. What should they do to wakeup one morning and find a "big wall" rising in the corn field?

Move to california.
Plant corn.

mowgli

Dec 8, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #9 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the websites for a few renaissance fairs. Sounds stupid, but a bunch of the juggling acts use portable slackline setups for thier finales. you might be able to see a pic of one of the set ups there. Both Moomie the Magnificent and the Sloan Gypsies used these I think.
-

psych

Dec 12, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #10 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i am in the same situation and i have some saw horses and some big old horse shoe stakes it i put the stakes in at an angle and string my line up on the saw horses i found out you cant do it in the mornings because of the sprinkler effect on my lawn and soil. i have seen other stuff where you dig a hole put some thing big in it with a rope or chain tied to it. refill the hole and leave just a little of the chain/rope sticking out i dont know how well it would work but it sounds good. i guess the time and effort you spend on barrying your anchor you could just plant a tree and live with going to the park till they get big enough.

Actually, that's a very good idea! Dig a 5 foot hole, a foot and a half wide, put 2 feet of cement in there with a chain embedded in it, fill in hole with dirt and cover with sod, leave chain loop at end to clip biner to. Tightening would have to be done at the ends, but put a couple sawhorses in between and you're set, no trees, and very little to be seen when not in use.

Just watch out for the lawnmower hitting the chains in the summer. Danger danger...
Mike...

jesskis

Feb 10, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #11 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put your anchors in your flower beds.

o yes i have thought of it all. Now i just have to write up a detailed proposal and submit it for review by my parents before i can start the digging

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 22, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #12 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=13389

themacko

Mar 14, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #13 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I attempted to setup a line in my backyard using one tree and a small (3') brick wall. All went well until I hopped on and got about a third of the way across when CRASH! The wall crumbled. It cost me $200 to repair. Case in point being: Pay attention to what you're tying your line up to, it better be able to hold quite a bit of tension. :?

bigwallfun

Mar 23, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #14 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what we did in joshua tree we have 2 metal saw hourses and used a 3ft. piece of rail road tie for a deadman. Dig the hole for the dead man 3 to 4ft. deep. JTree is all sand so it was pretty EZ

freakystyley

May 1, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #15 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump -
only because I just buried 200# of concrete and some hi-test logging(3900#SWL) chain in my plant/flowerbed - and it is butted up to a 3 ft retaining wall made of railroad ties. (don't tell my wife I cut a few Juniper roots!) I was going to pull right off the ties, but they are about 10yrs old and some are weak/rotted. Should be ready tomorrow.

Main question is:
On the other end, I want to sink a couple 3/8x3" bolts in my patio and use some bolt hangers. As far as I can tell, the concrete is a few inches thick and there are no cracks in the area I plan on using. I have the anchors left over from a route I was working on...Sound good? When we sell the house I can say we had a really big dog chained up! :shock:

dickieboy

May 19, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #16 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After years of working with concrete I would say your deck is at least 3", most likely 4-6" thick. I would rent or borrow a fairly large hammer drill, make a hole or two, and sink lead anchors at least 2 feet in from the edge of your deck. Then sink heavy duty eylets or lag bolts, however you wish to attatch your line. Dont worry about resale. A couple of bolts in your deck wont affect a serious buyer. I've done much worse and had no problem selling twice. Plus, "temporary" back yard rope set ups just bring back memories of hospital visits past. Invest in strength!!

corpse

May 26, 2004, 1:33 PM
Post #17 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm starting a setup in my yard, and I've got half of it done so far.
Inthe foundation of the house I installed (3) 1/2" expanding bolts.. They are near a corner, so 1 of them hasto withstand outward force, the other 2 would have to sheer off to break - I know this is a bit overboard for these anchors, but hell, I'm renting the house On each bolt is a stainless hanger. A homemade a-frame will be used to raise it to proper height.

Now, for the other half, the plan is to dig up a hole to pour some conrete in. Since this is in a normal yard with grass, a chain is a bad idea sticking up. Going to pour the concrete with a hole in the middle, with the top of the concrete a few inches below the grass line. This way I can take a steel pole and put it in the concrete when I'm going to use it - and just pull it out when I'm done - this will make mowing the lawn easier and less chance of mowing chains. As for when I move, a little dirt and grass and you won't know it's there.

freakystyley

May 27, 2004, 2:16 AM
Post #18 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used 2x 3.5" 3/8 wedges in the patio and 200# of buried concrete and a chain. works great. the concrete is in the gargen, so the chain is not biggie. got about a 50' line. A frame to A frame.

lunchbox

May 27, 2004, 1:18 PM
Post #19 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys check out my home setup: http://www.slacklineexpress.com/slackjack.htm
I got the slack daddy for tension and there is a huge boulder under my yard. I sunk three redheads in it, hangers and its bomber. I use it every day and its perfect. Scott

far_east_climber

May 27, 2004, 1:24 PM
Post #20 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree? wow you're lucky. I can't even find a tree around here to sling up. Best I can do is a lampost or a building.

boulder_junky

Aug 2, 2006, 6:29 AM
Post #21 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, I know this thread is really old, but i thought that if anyone else was looking for a little less permanent solution to this problem, that they may want to look in to using a couple of A-frames with 6 metal spikes they can sink far into the ground (three for each side). Equalize them with some webbing and it makes for a much simpler and less permanent solution to the problem. This idea is More clearly outlined, along with some other great information on slackline anchors here.
http://www.slackline.com/Page.bok?template=setup

uncleslackline

Aug 3, 2006, 1:52 AM
Post #22 of 22 (19097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or, http://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2
klick on a-frames

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook