Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grobby

Mar 2, 2002, 6:34 PM
Post #1 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Have i Got a Deathwish???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ia m thinking of taking rockclimbing lessons at my local college... but i am scared of heights, a fear i really want to overcome. Will rockclimbing help me get over my phonia or will i become a gibbering wreck, is there anyone who has taken up this sport and overcome there fear.???

dynomaster

Mar 2, 2002, 7:42 PM
Post #2 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Have i Got a Deathwish??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Grobby!
I think you should defentally take the class. When I began Climbing, I had a slight fear of hights, but it went away with vertical miles. I also know a lot of people that have gotten rid of their fear by climbing. And no, you don't have a Death wish.

Dyno on
Andy

bigevilgrape

Mar 2, 2002, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been rockclimbing for 4-5 years and i was scared to death of hights when i started, and i am still a little scared.

grobby

Mar 2, 2002, 7:51 PM
Post #4 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats great, thanks all. Got any tips for me??

gunkjunkie

Mar 2, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #5 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm terrified of heights, I hate climbing ladders and being at the top of tall buildings makes me sick. I started climbing in a gym about 6 years ago and used to get stuck sometimes just paralyzed - but acclimated after a while. And now I love it. There's nothing better than climbing

Started climbing outside 2 seasons ago - and had to get acclimated all over again. It's a good thing my husband is a patient guy. It would take me about 10 minutes just to feel safe at a belay but I got used to it. I still don't like rapping but I'm getting used to it too.

My fear of heights sort of affects the way I look at leading. I sometimes lead harder 1 pitch routes to prepare me for facing easier stuff that is exposed. For example I have a 5.8 roof I want to get clean before I work on one particular 5.6 roof that's on a third pitch.

Give it a shot - just discuss your fears with the instructor and your belay partner (FIND ONE YOU TRUST).

Deirdre

big_daddy

Mar 4, 2002, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I admire your determination to overcome your fear to try something new. Go for it dude. Under proper instruction it is very safe.

woodman

Mar 4, 2002, 11:53 PM
Post #7 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fear is good; it may keep you alive

I bouldered when I was younger, but never could work up the nerve to go up rope. Finally, I took up indoor sport routes to overcome my fear of heights. Did it work? No, I still have the heart clutch when I look off the roof of a building. But if I have my hands on holds and a trusted belayer, I have little fear. Eventually you'll see it's two different "heights".

ttfn - woody

tofattoclimb

Mar 15, 2002, 1:38 PM
Post #8 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it for one you will be safe top roping inside is no problem. what you want to do is go along have a look at what goes on at the wall and think "yeah I can do that." If you do climb, and want to come down the you can it's all up to you Chat to the belayer and youll se that there nothing to fear push your self my friend and you'll find the most amazing rush you can get. The challege is up to you, you climb as hard or easy as you want and as you get better you'll want to push your self. I find climbing a great way to chill. You focus on what your doing and its a real buzz Being afraid of height is not that big a deal do it, I think it would make you feel really good about your self good luck !!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: tofattoclimb on 2002-03-15 05:40 ]

spank_spank

Mar 15, 2002, 2:12 PM
Post #9 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fear scares me. Fear can be a good thing.

Fear scares me. Fear can be exciting.

Just be safe. Take the class.

wigglestick

Mar 15, 2002, 3:02 PM
Post #10 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will admit that I used to get pretty freaked out when it came to climbing also. Eventually I convinced myself that the first 50 feet or so is what you need to be the most concerned about. Anything above that doesn't really scare me anymore because I convinced myself that falling from 500 feet is no worse than falling from 100 feet. You can't be "extra" dead. What I fear the most is falling from down low. Not high enough to kill me but high enough to do some serious damage. As a friend of mine once said "I am not afraid to die, just the pain that is involved"

Partner artm

Mar 15, 2002, 4:17 PM
Post #11 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grobby,
One of my buddies actually started climbing in order to deal with his fear of heights. It's called desensitization. Along the way he discovered a love for climbing. He still has a fear of heights but climbs in spite of it, in defiance of his fear. I say go for it!

miagi

Mar 16, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #12 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a little comment by me A good way to get use to heights for climbing (I did this because i was a little edgy at first like any new climber) I had to trust my gear. Climb up a little and weigh your rope. See that it will hold you. Have confidence in your rope, gear, and belayer. If you have confidence that these measures are safe it will give you reassurance that nothing bad should happen.

blackaven

Mar 16, 2002, 7:20 AM
Post #13 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a fear of heights but that's part of the reason I got into this, it MAKES me face my fears. I have kinda grown to like that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach

mimie

Mar 16, 2002, 7:23 AM
Post #14 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you definitely should take the class.

fear is sometyime a good thing.

yarddarts

Mar 16, 2002, 9:12 PM
Post #15 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go for it man. not to try and get rid of your fear of heights, but because its awesome. if you have the opportunity then you should definately take it.

lostangel

Mar 25, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #16 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey hun, I used to be really bad with heights, I am still afraid, the main thing is dont think about it and enjoy what you are doing, I keep doing it because of the rush.. I love having the wits scared outta me lol
Try it! you don't know until you try, and keep an open mind..

ponyryan

Mar 26, 2002, 7:21 AM
Post #17 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Without a doubt take the class, being roped into a trusty belayer is a great way to break the fear. The adrenaline of being stuck and feeling your muscles give out will make you very nervous and scared, but once you learn to harness that adrenaline and make one more move, you'll be cured of your fear. Also, while gym climbing, you don't look down much, so it shouldn't be as big of a problem.

kamofladge

Apr 4, 2002, 6:55 PM
Post #18 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fear of hieghts can be used for you advantage. Take your fear and turn it in to positive enegry to push you higher. I use my fear as such, if I don't make it to the next bolt or the next big hold I could fall. So I push my self to that next bolt or that next big hold. It is all about your mentality of it. But don't be afraid to fall. Falling can help you learn to climb better. But climb smart and be aware or your saftey.
The class will help you in many ways. Take it and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Partner jules

Apr 4, 2002, 9:03 PM
Post #19 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm terribly afraid of heights; but when I'm climbing, I don't feel it at all. My mind perceives where my feet are to be the ground, as far as I can figure.

It might be worth it to try and think about it that way.

sharmagod

Apr 4, 2002, 9:20 PM
Post #20 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a phobia of heights but somehow managed to get into climbing.I love the sport and have since trusted the gear that is in place for your safety.Go for it dude and have fun!!!

flagstaff_climber

Apr 4, 2002, 9:41 PM
Post #21 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take the class, fear is your body's way of telling you that you are alive and that you wish to remain that way. Just learn to use your gear properly and don't look down to much.

As a side note, I find it more disconcerting to look up too much during a climb Heights really are something you will get used to as you slowly start to trust the equipment and yourself. I remember getting vertigo once, on my first solo flight in a Cessna 150. That door and latch are pretty flimsy I just would pause, pick some far away point and stare at it for a few seconds and let 20 years of learning finally get the better of 3 million years of evolution.

Rick

daggerx

Apr 10, 2002, 7:32 PM
Post #22 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont think I had a true fear of heights when i was young, but I did used to dream about fall forevery and dieing when i hit the ground.

jmlangford

Apr 10, 2002, 7:48 PM
Post #23 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing off and on since I was 5 years old and to this day I'm scared a little when I back off the top of a cliff on a rap. When I'm climbing from the ground up my lard butt moves so slowly up the cliff that I adjust to the height as I ascend.

sugarbaby

Apr 10, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #24 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i must say you didn't ask the most objective group of people. of course a bunch of climbers are gonna tell you to climb!!
have a blast!!
Jenna

mitchal

Apr 10, 2002, 9:58 PM
Post #25 of 31 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am scared to death of heights!I have no fear when roped up and know that all the gear will prevent me from Decking out.I even drop off at no notice just to get that rush and keep my belayer on her toes.You get used to it.I am still scared shatless when I'm not clipped into something.Just go for it!
Climb Happy
Mitch

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook