RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tomclimbs

Nov 25, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Best Colorado Winter Mountaineering route
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello People,

I am looking for some suggestions of your favorite winter mountaineeing challenges in Colorado. I know of a some but I would like to have some more options. Thanks a lot for your help.

tom

lachendro

Nov 25, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Colorado Winter Mountaineering route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're new to the whole winter mountaineering thing, Quandry (sorry if I spelled that wrong) is a sweet, somewhat moderate, winter route.

atg200

Dec 1, 2003, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how hard are you looking for?

this weekend i went and did the west ridge of dyer mountain near leadville. it was terrific - fairly short approach, low avy danger, and very interesting climbing if you stay right on the ridge crest the whole time(felt like low 5th class, though it was very snowy and icy). it is a fair bit easier if you avoid the towers along the ridge - third class or so.

mt ouray is nice, though know your avy conditions well. from the end of marshall pass road, it is a few miles up the road to get to the trailhead. you can camp in the trees next to the road, or if you are light you can stay in a cabin that is at the top of the pass and just off the road - i don't think there is any fee or anything to use it. the climb itself is a long slog, but the way the camping breaks down makes it a nice weekend outing.

others i've done with reasonable avy danger for the relative novice are squaretop, bierstadt, fletcher mountain, bard peak and mt parnassus, silverheels(bring your skis), mt sherman, mt meeker(watch conditions in the loft carefully, but if they are ok this is a wonderful day), and mt audubon and a lot of other stuff in the indian peaks.

mountrobson

Dec 3, 2003, 4:36 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did Lavender Col of Sneffels in Feb 2000. Can't recommend it enough! Wilson Peak is another good winter peak. there's a miner's shack at 13,000' that's great for a high camp. Avy skills are a must on jsut about any CO peak in the winter! See ya there!

piton

Dec 4, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about longs peak

mother_sheep

Dec 4, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or for a much easier, somewhat less adventurous slog for beginners, Chasm Lake makes for a fun day out. Last weekend I broke out my crampons and axe once and that was for the traverse across the snowfield to the hut and in the gully up to the lake. Chasm Lake is not full on mountaineering but I'd say is't on the cusp. The hike itself is only about 7.4 miles and takes you just below 12k', where you can bask in the shadow of the most perfectly cut diamond known to man.

climb14er

Dec 4, 2003, 9:31 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kieners, on Longs Peak. In winter, probably the best climb on Longs, if not the best mountaineering route in Colorado.

A TRUE classic !

tomclimbs

Dec 4, 2003, 9:46 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,

Thanks for the good ideas, keep them coming! I have climbed many routes on Long's. So I want to branch out some. I have climbed the N. face and Keiners in Winter. I have skied the Trough and climbed Alexander's to the Notch Couloir. So I am looking for climbs of similar difficulty on other mountains than Longs.
Don't get me wrong, I love Longs peak- it is big , scary, miserable weather, long approach/descent, interesting routes, basically everyhting I am looking for.But there just have to be other like routes on other mountains around Colorado. I just need to add to the list - and if anyone is looking for partners this winter let me know!!

thank you again.
tom

climb14er

Dec 4, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try climbing the Bell Cord Couloir between the Bells when the snowpack settles and compacts later in the season.

Get Dawson's two Ski 14er books, if you don't have already for routes on the 14ers, both technical and for skiing off the summits.

I think Little Bear, especialy the Hourglass Couloir would be a kick ass winter climb. Somewhat dangerous even in reasonable conditions. This peak gets done rarely in winter, a little more in summer.

Good luck.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook