RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

hoofers_andy

Dec 9, 2003, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Buildering at the UW
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

So, since another thread of mine about buildering in general kind of turned into talk of where there were good buildering problems on campuses, I thought it might be a good idea to start one for just my school. Post up any buildering/bouldering ideas that you have for the University of Wisconsin Madison, or anything here that you have climbed.

My Climbs on Campus:
-Retaining Wall Behind Liz Waters- decent ruff-cut limestone, 12-20 foot climbs that can be topped out
-Tripp Hall- dirty stone with good friction, havent gone more than a few feet up as the roof has about a 4 foot eve and is un-toppable
-My dorm room bouldering wall

Known Climbs:
-Boulder near observatory across from Liz
-Courtyard of Humanities
-Red Gym- my father saw someone do it in the early 70's when he was here

Hopes and Dreams-
Van Vleck- Looks toppable
McArdle Cancer Research Building- Definately Looks doable, just haven't asked anyone to try it with me yet... (Its the white building with the crazy herring bone pattern in between biotech and medsci)

Shout Out any other ideas!

brianthew

Dec 9, 2003, 6:36 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Re: Buildering at the UW [In reply to]
Report this Post

Hmm, I don't exactly remember the texture of the wall, but as I recall the wall beneath Gordon Commons (between it and the side walk) might offer a killer traverse.

andy_lemon

Dec 9, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Add them to the routes database... then people won't have to dig up this thread when they won't to find info on them.

later,
Andy

hoofers_andy

Dec 9, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I dont know if it is necessarily a good idea to add any of these routes to the route database. The legality of the climbs is one issue, and if the average joe looking for places to climb in wisconsin sees these routes in the routes section, there might be just a few too many people on them to keep from getting noticed.
I just wouldn't want it to be the downfall of buildering on campus. If enough people do it, the authority figures that we loath will begin to notice where and when it goes on, making it harder for us to do. So lets just keep this between the people that make an actual effort to find this...

pawilkes

Dec 14, 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

while i am not an advicate of buildering on the UW campus, i was talking to some friends who did a little bit in their street shoes (of course they were probably at least approach shoes) on the side of Van Hise and the cops came by and were just like "don't fall" and then left. I question how much they care. as far as climbing Adams/Tripp or anything really tall, i personally think it's insaine, i mean there is massive fall potential. one option though is to climb into someone's room on the fourth floor, but that wasn't me. i didn't say it. :wink:

thegogirl

Dec 14, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Can I add some buildering spots in Key largo??
Cheapie Bouders- (at the local flea market Mile marker 103)
The Carribean crawl towers-at Mile marker 104, towers of coral rock that are in front of the infamous Carribean Club. (owner's face is priceless when you do it...as he is always wasted no matter what the time) Bar is open until 6am, reopens at 8am. You get the picture.
Tom's Thumb : wall that covers the now musician's store but used to be a Tom Thumb convenience store.
The Back Yard Discard Boulders-located in Tavernier Creek area, Oceanside behind the (now discarded restaurant there) field and small marina.

pawilkes

Dec 16, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i was walking past Hillel (on Langdon) last night and noticed their retaining wall. it has really small edges on it that might make it good for bouldering but it is way to out in the open and you'd probably get chewed out in pretty short order. oh yeah, someone was telling me about a crack thats climbable in Humanities. the guy who told me got the first ascent and is pretty burley so i don't think it is doable for us mere mortals but just thought i'd throw it out. i think he said it was in the 5.13 range.

usmc_2tothetop

Dec 16, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If you take pics you GOTTA post them.

hoofers_andy

Dec 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I went to the climbs in the Humanities Courtyard. They are hard as all hell. One of my climbing buddies at the U has done a few routes in there, I remeber there being a crack on one route and another spot that the only real holds on it are a couple of 1/4 inch or so deep, half dollar sized pockets in the flat limestone(?) face. It was raining that day, so I didnt make an attempt to climb them, and havent made it back there since (the cold discourages me).
Pawilkes-I wouldn't doubt it if they were in the 5.12-13 range. wait a second, you are Phil, arent you? I hope your responsiblities as a house fellow don't include getting other climbers in trouble... lol As long as I don't climb Slichter I'm sure you won't try to get me in trouble. Hmm, climbing Slichter, that would be an interesting challenge....

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook