Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

adventureman

Dec 9, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #1 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Climbing attire
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a question for you ladies: what do you prefer to wear when climbing? I ask because I'm trying to decide if/what I need to get my wife in the way of clothes to climb in, as opposed to what she has now. Do you prefer t-shirt vs tank, shorts vs pants, etc?

Along those lines, does anyone know of other places to get women's climbing clothes that might be a little bit cheaper than Prana (for those of us who are budget-conscious)? Thanks!

Partner macherry

Dec 9, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing attire [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like pants that can be made into capris. they have straps or snaps built into them. I've actually purchased these type of pants from old navy--not bad pricing. I like tanks that double as underwear. I like to wear long sleeve technical t's---polyester type fabric as an overshirt. I'm from canada and purchase these from www.mec.ca. Even a better bargain for those of you in the states.

Check rei for prana at good pricing. They have tanks on sale at the moment.

If i'm wearing shorts, they're just the carpenter ones from old navy, heavy duty and a bit longer (men's model).

maculated

Dec 9, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #3 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only official climbing clothes I have I got free. I do just fine with some cheapo tank top from Old Navy and cut off khakis from the Gap. (They were threadbare and demoted to climbing clothing).

I would advise staying away from Prana for climbing clothing unless you get the mens line for her. The women's is more about fashion and yoga uses rather than climbing. It falls apart really fast.

If you're looking to get her something really versatile and useful, check out a Marmot DriClime windshirt. Coat, top, weather-stopper. All around good piece.

rvega

Dec 9, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #4 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in two types of outfits, one cold weather (capris and a long sleeved tight shirt) and one for warm (shorts and a tank top). I like my Prana shorts for climbing because the elastic waistband doesn't rub with my harness. But they were expensive. I wear cheap Target stuff for everything else. You can get a really nice sports tank top for $10 at Target and they last a long time. Same is true for nice capri pants. Prana pants can run up to $70! My Target capris'...$15 and I've had them for three years!

adventureman

Dec 9, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would advise staying away from Prana for climbing clothing unless you get the mens line for her. The women's is more about fashion and yoga uses rather than climbing. It falls apart really fast.

Thanks, mac, that's good to know...and here I thought they were quality clothes. Sheesh.

adventureman

Dec 9, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #6 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all for your replies! Currently she has an old tank and a pair of my old army pants that she's cut off just above the knee. Sounds like those'll do just fine for now. Thanks again!

maculated

Dec 9, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #7 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks, mac, that's good to know...and here I thought they were quality clothes. Sheesh.

i personally hope a Prana rep sees my comments and instigates some changes. I have my own ideas about a women's line of clothing but I need to sit down and do it. Prana's pants for men are awesome. I got a pair in a clearance for $25 and love them. But I've also had three different models of women's pants and I wore them for working (not climbing) but they fell apart in less than a year. I use one pair after they ripped at the knees (chimney climbing) and they are now some ghetto-action cut offs.

Avoid avoid avoid until they put out quality womens CLIMBING pants.

gretchino

Dec 9, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #8 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

i personally hope a Prana rep sees my comments and instigates some changes. I have my own ideas about a women's line of clothing but I need to sit down and do it. Prana's pants for men are awesome. I got a pair in a clearance for $25 and love them. But I've also had three different models of women's pants and I wore them for working (not climbing) but they fell apart in less than a year. I use one pair after they ripped at the knees (chimney climbing) and they are now some ghetto-action cut offs.

I have to totally second you on this one! I bought my boyfriend a pair of Prana cords and he loves them. They're totally durable, warm, etc..I bought the female version climbed once and ripped them. Lame...

They really need to put some quality into the clothes especially if I'm going to fork out a lot of $$ on 'em!

rvega

Dec 9, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #9 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mac,
You know what I've always wanted. I like my Prana shorts, but I really wish they had a single belt loop on the back for my chalk bag. I've had to resort to either lying it on the ground or the worst clipping through my underwear (seriously have done this). So when you make your line of clothes keep that in mind. :lol:

maculated

Dec 9, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #10 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, geez. Keep the free belt they give you and use that! :)

Actually, I'm a big fan of the built-in belts prana makes for the men. I'd probably keep that up and expose it in the back for just such a request. Maybe I'll work on my business proposal this winter break.

adventureman

Dec 9, 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #11 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something else you might want to consider, mac, is copying some of the military BDU pants...reinforced rear and knees, huge cargo pockets, adjustable waist. I bought my wife a black pair for our camping and hiking trips, and they hold up forever...not once did I ever tear a pair while in the Army.

One of the nice things about them is that with the adjustable waist, they sit on her hips correctly and don't slide off like pants with a straight waist; she doesn't usually even need a belt.

iamthewallress

Dec 9, 2003, 11:26 PM
Post #12 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've written it before, but here's my #1 gripe in climbing clothes...A lot of the new styles, hip-huggers and crop tops, are designed to show off our lovely tummies. This is a stupid design if you 1. wear a harness or 2. climb in the cold.

Scholler is the most indestructible stuff on the planet. Ugly, but indestructible. Unfortunately it's more expensive than Prana, but it will last her a long time.

adventureman

Dec 9, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #13 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've written it before, but here's my #1 gripe in climbing clothes...A lot of the new styles, hip-huggers and crop tops, are designed to show off our lovely tummies. This is a stupid design if you 1. wear a harness or 2. climb in the cold.

See, I don't get this...I love seeing my wife's midriff, but I'm sure that's the last thing she's thinking about when trying to climb. Same goes for any other woman, I'd imagine? Good-looking clothes are good, but why are men's climbing clothes designed to be more functional than women's, and why don't men's accentuate their "appealing features" like women's are trying to do? *shakes head* Makes no sense to me.

tavs

Dec 9, 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my guess is at least part of the explanation for the style/design of much of the clothing for women is that it's targeted more towards your typical gym climber--stays indoors more, where not only is it warmer but it's more of a "scene." i also think a lot of its is targeted at boulderers--so the fit under a harness is not as much of an issue. i have to say i like the style of some of the tops--especially the stonewear stuff (compared to many of the others, its actually made for women with breasts), its good for gym climbing and for warm weather climbing. also have to stick up for prana on one thing--those shorts (the one's with the elastic waist)--i've had two pair for over three years now and i'm convinced they're never going to wear out. but of course, i've got a gear and clothing connection, so i haven't paid full price in a while...not sure if i would.

adventureman

Dec 9, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #15 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my guess is at least part of the explanation for the style/design of much of the clothing for women is that it's targeted more towards your typical gym climber--stays indoors more, where not only is it warmer but it's more of a "scene."

Good point. Thankfully, the gym I climb at isn't much of a "scene." The only people (men *and* women) I've ever seen there showing off didn't last long...about 30 minutes, and haven't seen them since. :D

Partner macherry

Dec 10, 2003, 1:09 AM
Post #16 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While everyone's talking about prana, i'll put my 2cents in. I love the way the stuff looks, but the product doesn't hold up. I bought a pair of capris this spring and the stiching is coming apart on the seams. I didn't even wear these climbing. I took a chance and recently bought a pair of the men's pants on a blowout sale. I hope they hold out better. Not to keep dissing the brand, but my climbing partner chalkbag came apart in less than 2 months.

My absolute favorite climbing pants are a pair of second hand men's cargos i purchased for a pittance and a pair of cord shorts i got at a garage sale. Like i stated before, hit old navy on a good sale day and you can get comfortable clothing>cheap!

rvega

Dec 10, 2003, 1:34 AM
Post #17 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, geez. Keep the free belt they give you and use that! :)

FREE BELT! I didn't get no free belt. Jerks holding out on me. :x

cruzit

Dec 10, 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #18 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree. The climbing clothes they market for women generally suck. My husband bought me a couple of the Prana climbing capris for my birthday last year. I wore them once outside. There was a short scrambling approach to the crag...lost the seat before I got to the rock :oops: :evil: I now save the Pranas strictly for gym climbing as they are not good for anything else.

I just wish someone would manufacture a zipoff with a reinforced seat.

As for stuff that shows off your midriff...come on...my midriff is 43 years old...no one wants to see it anymore :lol:

gblauer

Dec 10, 2003, 2:02 PM
Post #19 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Maculated...let me know if you are serious...my family is in the "rag" business (outerwear mfg) and maybe able to create some prototypes for you...

spider_woman

Dec 10, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #20 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have quite a few pairs of Prana pants which almost always come in second to my 2 pairs of capri pants from Target. They were only $10 or $15 bucks and have held up to 9 road trips, and have logged in countless hours at the local crags. For tops, I do like Prana most, but also go with some from Target and my fave is actually from Dick's Sporting goods, the latter two options going for about 15-20 bucks. Check out Sierra Trading Post online and REI for some great deals. And definitely check out your local Target. Good luck & happy shopping!

r

Partner macherry

Dec 10, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #21 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for stuff that shows off your midriff...come on...my midriff is 43 years old...no one wants to see it anymore :lol:

Here here :wink: Yes, it's sometimes hard to find tanks that are longer, that cover down to the pants/harness

I was at a bike expo in Vegas in oct. There's a new company, located in canada that is coming out with a line of women's clothing. They make women's specific biking clothing and their new line has climbing type clothing like capris, tops, and hoodies. Very reasonably priced. the name of the company is Idun. The store i work at ordered some of their product in. I'll take it for a test drive in the new year.

gretchino

Dec 10, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #22 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Scholler is the most indestructible stuff on the planet. Ugly, but indestructible. Unfortunately it's more expensive than Prana, but it will last her a long time.

Yup to both...I can't stand how my Prana pants slide below my harness. I have to keep yanking it up or I'll get a huge bunchy of pant...not cool. Going along with your other point, I love my schoeller stuff. I can't ruin it (this is BIG for me). I found a pair by Patigonia and an other by mammut that are pretty good looking, expensive but good looking. I think it's worth it though. The money that I'm saving on pants and lightweight jackets is amazing. You can breathe in it, it's water proof-ish, stretchy, warm...if you can swing it, go with Schoeller!

granite_grrl

Dec 11, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #23 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a couple of pairs of prana pants, they're nothing special and if I hadn't gotten them for free I would never have them.

I love my Patagonia clothes, I have a couple of capiline shirts that are great for all around wear. The pair of patagonia shorts I have are sythetic (which is something I'm having problems trying to find a proper pair of pants in, not capris) and fit great under a harness (slightly higher waist, slightly longer legs).

I like the stonewear design shirts, the backs are cut nice and low, giving a nice sense of freedom when climbing.

moey

Dec 11, 2003, 5:46 PM
Post #24 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About a year ago I bought my first pair of "climbing pants" which are a pair of longer capris made by Sickle (bought from MEC in canada) and they are frickin' INDESTRUCTIBLE. I`m hard on my gear and not only have they survived several road trips (and my sloppy climbing... not even fuzz on the knees!) they now stand in as capoeira pants and I havent managed to split the seams yet!!
i think they were the best $40 (cdn) I ever spent...
:D

michaeljones

Dec 11, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #25 of 32 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! I actually have had nothing but great experiences with prana clothing. I sent back a sweatshirt I've had for over three years that had a sewing issue and they replaced it. They told me they have a 100% guarantee on all of their products and appreciate any feedback on their products.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook