Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Help me find Vice Principal's Office (Woodson)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pbjosh

Dec 31, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Help me find Vice Principal's Office (Woodson)  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Diego_County: Mt__Woodson)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I know where Fall Semester is and where PhD is. In one attempt I followed what may have been a trail down a ways from the base of Fall Semester but I didn't get too far before I was repulsed by the brush. When standing atop PhD it looks like there might be a trail a little to the north that heads down hill?

Any tips for finding VP's Office? Does the trail still exist? Any tips for what the boulder looks like from the uphill side so I can at least bushwack in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance

josh

tigerbythetail

Dec 31, 2002, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Help me find Vice Principal's Office (Woodson) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh,

You should ask Ron Amick, he's the man for Woodson...heck he'll probably show you in person.

[ This Message was edited by: tigerbythetail on 2002-12-31 07:58 ]

ronamick

Jan 2, 2003, 10:00 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can get you there, but I'm not up for walking to the top, then half way down the other side to thrash on a Rick Piggot horror show at the moment. The longer summer days offer the time you need to get in and out.

Its been ages, but I think the trail bypasses the Fall Semester on the North side. Look for any split as you descend from PhD. Rick carved a wide trail which should be usable, but it's probably pretty overgrown in the 15 years hence. It is imperative to find this trail. This is not brush, rather tree canopy that you are looking at from above. If you try to whack, it will take days. Good Luck!

pbjosh

Jan 2, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say "look for any split as you descend from PhD" and "bypasses Fall Semester on the North Side" do you mean:

1. Hike downhill between the PhD and Fall Semester boulders (which is, if I'm not turned around, still North of the Fall Semester boulder), trying to find where the trail continues downhill.

or

2. Hike downhill on the North side of the PhD boulder (as to approach the base of PhD) then try to continue the trail downhill from there?

or

3. Something else?

I tried #1 and I got to the base of the rock that supposedly has bolts on it that's E of Fall Semester but found neither the lead bolts (not looking very hard) nor a continuing trail.

From the top of PhD you can look off NE (direction of Toro peak on a clear day) and see what may be a wide trail or may just be erosion through some brush (not trees, probably 8' manzanita and greasewood stuff) 50-100' off but how to get there would be challenging...

Anyways, thanks for the beta. If I can find the trail I might put some time in to improve/maintain it, as I'd like to go start working on VP's Office and I'd like to check out Spring Break (I don't even know what it is).

Thanks and adios,

josh

michaelpaul

Feb 4, 2003, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Concerning PHD and the VP's office,John Bachar and I were taken there by Rick Piggot himself to do the 2nd and 3rd ascents respectively, and I returned to document the trail for my Guide (in Craig Fry's So. Cal.Bouldering)in '88. It was fairly pronounced at that time but if not now I'd be fairly hard pressed to find it w/out difficulty! Are you asking the right people? Has Ron Amick been there, let alone climbed them? I'd contact one of the new guide authors, they should know unless they just copied my original guide as it appears.

[ This Message was edited by: michaelpaul on 2003-02-04 08:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: michaelpaul on 2003-02-05 07:36 ]

automaticman

Nov 3, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

V.P office [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found a crack, that I believe is Vice principals office, with a good trail leading to it. Instead of going clearly to the top then back down the trail I found at trail that traverses around the east then north side of the mountain the trail then goes half up the hill to a poison oak infested area where an over hanging diagonal hand cracks stands. Climbers don’t explore this area often but hikers travel there. There isn’t anything else good to climb around there so I never bothered to give the crack a try. If you haven’t done “under toe” yet I would recommend that one for sure its near PhD and there is a good trail leading from PhD to it.

bvb

Dec 13, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Re: V.P office [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

here is a really bad photo of the vp's office, taken in 1986. i'm just exiting the double overhanging dihedral that is the techinical crux. the pump crux comes 15' higher up, when you hit overhanging thin hands. is this the crack you spotted? 12 fucuuuckin a, dude. or V7 if yer on the solo. sort of obscure

http://www.0friction.com/...riction_pic_4615.jpg

automaticman

Dec 15, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the one!

asandh

Dec 16, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook