Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fracture

Dec 18, 2003, 3:23 AM
Post #1 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Warm-up and practice falls, anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many of you have incorporated falling into your warm-up?

I haven't done this, and don't really intend to any time soon for sport climbing, as I don't really feel like I have much fall fear to eliminate for falling on bolts. Though if this changes I'll probably end up doing so.

However, I want to start leading harder trad at some point, and I realize that part of that is going to mean falling on gear. I currently have to deal with modest fall fear on moderate gear leads, and though it is mostly managable on the climbs I've done (because the climbing itself is easy), it is certainly a power leak that will limit doing harder stuff.

So, since I've never taken a "real" trad fall (though I actually fell on my first gear lead, it was like a 1ft fall starting slightly below the piece--basically just the slack the belayer had in in the rope), at some point I want to take some falls on pieces that I think are trustworthy, probably with a toprope backup, and (I hope) teach myself that they really are trustworthy. I'm not sure if I'll then want to do this without a top rope backup, and whether I'll want to make this part of the warmup. I guess it probably depends mostly on whether the pieces hold ;)

Have any of you done much of this? Would you care to share whether it was helpful or not? Any advice or comments?

iamthewallress

Dec 18, 2003, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Re: Warm-up and practice falls, anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To be honest, I haven't totally bought into the idea of "safe" falls on gear. I'm quite sure that I haven't bought into enough to go out and start falling on my gear on purpose. At the leve that I climb in the place that I climb (Yosemite mostly), the routes are typically not steep enough or free enough from obstructions or even reliably proctectable enough to dispense with the notion that if the pro is good, I should be pushing climbing into a zone where I'm not relying on my climbing ability as my #1 parachute. (Who wants to jump out of a plane with their backup chute as their primary means of safety?)

I have been seriously injured "going for it" when I believed that the pro was good (It held.) and there was nothing for me to hit. (The lightest grazing under the force of "all air" fall resulted in a ruptured artery behind my knee.) I want to climb in a way that I'm not devoting unnecessary energy toward worrying about falling, but I think that this is best achieved in many cases by increase my comfort with my climbing rather than with the act of falling. I'm not sure that a casual attitude towawrd falling is a good place for a smart one for a moderate traditional climber to work towards.

I know that this point of view is counter to a lot of the things that Arno discusses, but I also have this sense that Arno had steeper routes in mind and perhaps he is more personally willing to accept the risk of injury without second guessing himself. Any thoughts?

katydid

Dec 18, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been outside in a while to actually do it (too cold), but I do have a fall planned for the next time I'm leading trad.

I have an irrational fear of cams (although my partner says my placements are good), so I'm going to sew up a route with a bunch of passive pro below it, plug in a cam, climb up a few feet above it, and let go. I know intellectually that it'll hold, but my gut just doesn't trust anything that has moving parts to do the trick.

Once I've actually taken the fall, I'll post back to let you know how it went.

Hopefully I don't pee my pants.

k.

Partner pt

Dec 19, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #4 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have started with the top rope falls that Arno has suggested. This has actually been very helpful for me even in leading situations. I agree with Melissa about falling on moderate traditional pitches but I think lead falls would be very good to practice on steeper pitches.

fracture

Dec 20, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #5 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To be honest, I haven't totally bought into the idea of "safe" falls on gear.
[..]
I'm not sure that a casual attitude towawrd falling is a good place for a smart one for a moderate traditional climber to work towards.

I don't think this is really a gear/bolts issue, though. Low angle climbs suck to fall on, regardless of whether you are falling on a bolt or a piece. I don't want to intentionally fall on anything less than 90 degrees, and I agree such falls are not really "safe".

However, I don't want to remain a "moderate traditional climber", and as you start climbing hard trad routes, you *are* going to fall sometimes (and if you don't, you're not climbing as hard as you are capable of).

-Jordan

fracture

Dec 31, 2003, 2:21 PM
Post #6 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In case any of you didn't see it, Arno wrote a tech-tip in the latest climbing magazine about practice-falling.

dirtineye

Jan 6, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #7 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken Arno's falling class on bolts at Foster Falls Tenn, and had a day of falling training with him at Twall, and although I have not read his tech tip, I'm sure he says in it and will tell anyone who asks that when you practice falling either on bolts or gear, you never trust just one piece. or bolt. Rather, for trad climbing you build an anchor of gear with pro leading up to it and climb above your anchor then fall, and you check your anchor each time. On bolts, you set a long sling from at least one bolt above the one you plan to fall on and make sure the forces are equal on the top bolt and the falling bolt. It wouldn't hurt to lead normaly and clip all teh bolts under your falling bolt either. I guess it goes without saying that you want to be high enough that if your main system fails you still have other bolts or gear that could keep you off the ground or a ledge.

fracture

Jan 7, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #8 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rather, for trad climbing you build an anchor of gear with pro leading up to it and climb above your anchor then fall, and you check your anchor each time. On bolts, you set a long sling from at least one bolt above the one you plan to fall on and make sure the forces are equal on the top bolt and the falling bolt.

This sounds like a bad idea to me. First of all, you aren't really getting comfortable trusting the fall as you would in a real leading situation, because you aren't in one. But, more importantly, on an overhung route (which is hopefully where you're doing practice falls), the next bolt is going to be some distance outward, as well as up. The more overhung, the larger the angle between the two bolts when they are equalized, which, if large enough, could actually make the situation worse in terms of likelyhood of failure than just falling on the 1 bolt.

Also, if you are practicing the fall on a route you are actually projecting, in order to get comfortable trusting it, this scheme will put the equalized point (the point you are falling on) further away from the rock than you would be if it were just a quickdraw in the bolt, which completely changes how the fall works.

In reply to:
It wouldn't hurt to lead normaly and clip all teh bolts
under your falling bolt either.

Why not just do this (which is, btw, what the tech tip suggests (just climb above a bolt and let go))? Your above suggestion is far worse.

I think one should do this for the trad case also, instead of falling on an anchor, which is not a real fall senario.

You're still not trusting just 1 piece to keep you off the ground. Remember that your pro is a system. If the top piece fails, you have pieces below it (assuming they didn't backward zipper :D) as backup.

dirtineye

Jan 7, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #9 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Several points:

Don't't assume that you should practice on very overhung routes. Overhung routes when protected properly are the easiest to fall on as you tend not to hit anything anyway, especially in a longer fall. (If you did want to do this on a very steep route, you'd pick one that had two bolts close enough together to get decent protectiont. It could be set up so that you didn't even weight the upper bolt very much unless the main falling bolt failed. ) A reason for doing this is so that you don't get a surprize 40 footer when you are trying to practice a 20 footer.

All the falling practice I have seen arno do is on nearly vertical rock, so that the faller can work on hitting with feet and cushioning the landing with legs, while the hands are ready to help out if needed. at first you look for a near vertical climb with a smooth wall, and after getting comfortable you can go for more difficult situations. In my and many other climber's opinion, the worst falls are on slabs or climbs whth ledges and outcroppings to hit on the way down.

Another misconception is that the suggestions would not be a true leading situation. as long as you are above the gear with the rope leading up from below, it is a lead situation, which is usually defined as "climbing above your pro"

As for falling on an anchor in trad not being a real situation, are you really going to go after a hard move on one piece when you can set two and equalize? This is commonly done. Especially if you are going to run it out in a crux section, prudent climbers place a few pieces when possible. Some equalize and some just make sure the pieces will share some load, but making sure your runout or crux is well protected is just good sense.

About the trad falling practice, Arno himself built a three piece trad anchor that we practiced on. THe climb was lead normally, then up high enough for a good fall distance an anchor was set, and then I had to climb up over this anchor and fall off til I got sick of it.

It is important to check the pieces after falling on them as well.

The idea is, you are training yourself to react to the fall, not working on your redpoint or climbing as hard as you can. You want to make this as safe as possible, because you are not going to take just one or two falls on this setup, but as many and you can get in before you tire out.

One thing I can say for sure, after taking a lot of falls both in practice and for real, most of em on trad gear, is that the surprize fall is the hardest to deal with, expecially if it is fairly short and has consequences (the bad kind) A fall you can see coming, for whatever reason, gives you a little time to prepare. In the surprize fall, you have to prepare on the way down ! By practicing we hope to begin to reacting correctly and nstinctually to even a surprize fall.

About Zippering, Look in MTFOTH and see the part about anti zippering anchors and sling length. It's really simple to avoid zippering.

I've tried to respond based on my experiences and conversations with Arno and my own falling experiences. Maybe he will drop in and make a post on this important topic.

lemon_boy

Jan 7, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #10 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hola amigos.

i have been taking practice whips for a couple months now and have found it pretty helpful. so far i have been doing it on bolts, as it is really convenient. there is a route nearby that is slightly overhanging, clean, etc. i go up to the second bolt below the anchors (approx 70 feet up) and systematically start with small ones and get bigger. i used to absolutely refuse to fall, but now i am pretty calm about it when i am practicing. i have been whipping up to about 30 feet or so. i go above the bolt a ways and have my belayer pay out some extra slack. the falls are generally pretty soft. the hardest part is probably pulling the same desperate moves over and over, just trying to get above the bolt!

the thing i need to work on is falling while actually trying to make a move, as opposed to after i have set up for my fall, checked w/ my belayer, taken a few relaxing breaths, etc. a few weekends ago i went down in the middle of a gunfight on two different routes, but since then i have come off a couple times while 'pretending' to make the moves.

i guess my main suggestions are:
- make sure you have redundancy of some sort in your system
- do it with a belayer that you sincerely trust (why would anybody climb anything near their limit with somebody they didn't trust?)
- do it on a vertical to overhanging route without any ledges, etc.
- be mega-aware of where the rope is in relation to your legs, etc (it is really scary how many people lead with the rope wrapped around their legs half the time)
-start really small and ease into it
-do it on a regular basis

dirtineye

Jan 7, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #11 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That bit about paying attention to where the rope is related to your feet is sooo important. Even good climbers need to be reminded. Getting your foot caught in the rope can turn a simple fall into a disaster. saw a friend fall once in this way and go upside down and miss smacking the wall with her head by about 6 inches-- and she was not wearing a helment.

Lemon dude, I have talked with Arno for a long time trying to find a way to practice the suprize fall, and so far, the best notion to come out of it all is that you practice falling so much that you react instinctually.

After all, even if you could set up a suprize fall, after one suprize, it wouldn't be a suprize anymore haha.

Seriously, the suprize reaction is a big enemy, as in say a ten foot fall, by the time you get through getting over the shock of suprize (What the-- that hold broke?!?!) the fall is over and what's done is done.

arnoilgner

Jan 7, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #12 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting posts. A few comments.

First of all, I think it is important to acknowledge that climbing isn't golf, tennis, or some of those horizontal sports. Climbing IS dangerous. I think many climber get into climbing with a tennis/golf attitude, that is they think it is safe. Climbing is not safe. We can make it safer but we can hurt ourselves in some of the most benign conditions. So, we can only make our climbing situation safer.

Second of all, whether we incorporate falling into our climbing is totally personal. It depends on what we want out of the experience. I know climbers who enjoy the feeling of being in control and keeping it together and not falling. I also know climbers who like pushing past the point of no return and taking falls. One thing I can say is that the climber that doesn't want to fall will not climb to his/her full potential--speaking of route types and difficulty now. It is only when we push past what our conscious mind thinks we can do that we break barriers and rise to the next level.

Some people have said that I have a casual view of falling [see AAN last issue for Candice review of the book]. I do not have a casual view. I think there are situations when you should not fall and situations where it is safer to fall. We all must learn, there's that learn word again, how to assess the "safeness" of situations. If we want to climb harder and more challenging routes we must, yes must, push past the point of no return and risk taking falls. All top climbers do this. Look at what Tony Yaniro did hang dogging all those hard trad routes in the seventies, or Tommy Caldwell and others on sport. They must push beyond what they think they can do to rise to new levels. To not push past this point is likened to a pole vaulter keeping the bar just high enough to always make it over.

So, identify: are you afraid of falling or do you not trust your trad pro? These are two different issues. You can have 10 pieces built into an anchor and still be afraid of taking falls on it. If you are afraid of falling then I would suggest practice as I've outlined in the book. If you don't trust your pro I'd suggest placing a few pieces that "intellectually" look solid and then "experience" that they are solid by falling on them.

Anyway, perhaps this answers some concerns or gives everyone some idea of my view of falling.
thanks, arno

fracture

Jan 11, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #13 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So yesterday I fell about 4-5ft onto a number 4 stopper while trying to flash Orange Peel at Enchanted Rock.

It was pretty nice. I still intend to do some controlled falls on some cams at some point, but this was pretty helpful for trusting gear.

Arno: Good point that embracing falls and trusting pro are different issues. My issue is definitely one of learning to trust my gear. I have no problem taking routine falls on bolted sport routes, for example, except when they are pretty runout (this probably can be cured just by taking some nice long, clean falls), or on significantly less than vertical rock (for this I just need to practice falling on slabs so I don't hurt myself when it happens). The fall isn't what I fear mainly in trad though; it's the gear pulling.

WRT the RWW and falling; I don't think a "casual" view is taken in the book. Choices and Accepting Responsibility reccomend an honest assesment of the risk you are taking, and what the fall-consequences are, and acceptance of the risks is left as an open question. Some falls are not safe, and every fall is at least slightly dangerous; no one can say how an individual should decide whether to risk an unsafe fall, and I don't think RWW overstepped its bounds there.

dirtineye:
In reply to:
As for falling on an anchor in trad not being a real situation, are you really going to go after a hard move on one piece when you can set two and equalize? This is commonly done. Especially if you are going to run it out in a crux section, prudent climbers place a few pieces when possible. Some equalize and some just make sure the pieces will share some load, but making sure your runout or crux is well protected is just good sense.

I know this is frequently done; however, I was thinking about it from a RWW perspective (I almost started a thread here, so I'm glad you mentioned it)---it seems to me that if you place a bomber piece, and are also safe under the at-least-2-pieces-between-you-and-disaster rule (i.e. your last piece down functions as a backup), placing another piece right there and equalizing it seems to fall under the category of placing more gear than you need to in order to safely protect the fall, out of irrational fear that your bomber cam won't hold. If you're placing from a no hands rest before the crux, though, this might not be as clear-cut, because it costs you nothing except time to place the extra piece (or build a full SRENE anchor).

The other thing, is that people usually use a sliding X knot when equalizing mid-route, because most of the time other methods are too slow for 1 hand (though if the pieces are even, you could just use 2 slings and have them equalized). The X has been deprecated for use in anchors because it sucks (namely, it simultaneously assumes both that the pieces could pull, and that they also couldn't pull (because otherwise it will extend), and it apparently doesn't actually adjust under sharp changes of fall direction as advertised); so the question is, is the extension issue null because there's so much dynamic rope in the system when you do it mid route? If not, maybe the equalization (if you would use an X) is not worth doing.

-Jordan

dirtineye

Jan 12, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #14 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So yesterday I fell about 4-5ft onto a number 4 stopper while trying to flash Orange Peel at Enchanted Rock.

It was pretty nice. I still intend to do some controlled falls on some cams at some point, but this was pretty helpful for trusting gear.

Arno: Good point that embracing falls and trusting pro are different issues. My issue is definitely one of learning to trust my gear. I have no problem taking routine falls on bolted sport routes, for example, except when they are pretty runout (this probably can be cured just by taking some nice long, clean falls), or on significantly less than vertical rock (for this I just need to practice falling on slabs so I don't hurt myself when it happens). The fall isn't what I fear mainly in trad though; it's the gear pulling.

WRT the RWW and falling; I don't think a "casual" view is taken in the book. Choices and Accepting Responsibility reccomend an honest assesment of the risk you are taking, and what the fall-consequences are, and acceptance of the risks is left as an open question. Some falls are not safe, and every fall is at least slightly dangerous; no one can say how an individual should decide whether to risk an unsafe fall, and I don't think RWW overstepped its bounds there.

dirtineye:
In reply to:

I know this is frequently done; however, I was thinking about it from a RWW perspective (I almost started a thread here, so I'm glad you mentioned it)---it seems to me that if you place a bomber piece, and are also safe under the at-least-2-pieces-between-you-and-disaster rule (i.e. your last piece down functions as a backup), placing another piece right there and equalizing it seems to fall under the category of placing more gear than you need to in order to safely protect the fall, out of irrational fear that your bomber cam won't hold. If you're placing from a no hands rest before the crux, though, this might not be as clear-cut, because it costs you nothing except time to place the extra piece (or build a full SRENE anchor).

The other thing, is that people usually use a sliding X knot when equalizing mid-route, because most of the time other methods are too slow for 1 hand (though if the pieces are even, you could just use 2 slings and have them equalized). The X has been deprecated for use in anchors because it sucks (namely, it simultaneously assumes both that the pieces could pull, and that they also couldn't pull (because otherwise it will extend), and it apparently doesn't actually adjust under sharp changes of fall direction as advertised); so the question is, is the extension issue null because there's so much dynamic rope in the system when you do it mid route? If not, maybe the equalization (if you would use an X) is not worth doing.

-Jordan

FIrst, to answer the question about whether placing another piece for a mini anchor is anti WW principles, no it isn't. In fact, if you have the opportunity to protect a crux very well and don't, then maybe that is against ww principles. If you get Arno's don juan dvd, you'll see him move out under the crux roof-to face move and place several pieces, and he even says something about it if I remember right. When it costs you nothing to place a little more pro, especially after a runnout of before the crux anticipating a runout, it is wise to place more that one piece. Even if you have two pieces between you and disaster as you put it, for one thing, two pieces might not be enough, I've read many accouts the go like this: "... two pieces pulled adn so-and-so died.". For another thing, if just one piece pulls, you are taking a lot longer fall than you had to.

Just two weeksago, I was dong an FA wiht a fairly well known southern climber, whose motto is, " Never pass up a bomber placement, you might not get another.". well he took a fall and pulled two pieces that he thought were good, adn was caught by one he thought was poor. If that little brassy had failed he might have decked. You cna bet taht on my turn, after replacing the two pulled placements with other gear, when I got to a spot that woudl take gear again, I put it three pieces., all basically at the same height, but not equalized. the point is, if a guy with 30 years climbing experience doesn't know what a bomber piece is 100% of the time, who does? Why take UNDUE risk?

About the sliding x, I like it, and I use it sometimes, and sometimes not, when I'm protecting a section with more than one piece. As for it being poo-pooed for anchors, fine. Belay ahcors should not fail, and SRENE is a good principle to follow. But two pieces protecting a crus is not the belay anchor, although if the sling were long enough, you could put a figure 8 in it! As for it assuming both pieces will pull and also that they won't pull, that is not it. The sliding x principle is that if one piece pulls, you still have some pro, but probably sind you have true dynaic equalization, the piece will not pull, and the anchor will sustain more impact than one piece would.. The fact that this one piece fails problem allows maybe two feet or extension shouldn't matter because of the dynamic rope, assuming you are smart enough to no set up such a systen where an extre two feet drops you on a ledge! (OOPS!)

About two pieces side by side, I agree with you that then perhaps the best thing is to put the slings through both biners with gates opposed. this is even faster than a sliding x, but then what if you need to have that second sling later? On the third hand, if the sling in a sliding x is cut, you will wish you had used two slings, on the fourth hand... haha looks like it is a matter uf judgement and the particular situation.

Where have you seen anything about the sliding x not working as advertized? Seems to me like the sliding x would already be in equalization from the weight of the biners alone, when used not as a belay anchor but for our situation.

Anyway, When I asked Arno about equalizing and overprotecting ( using two or several pices below a crux orf before or after a runout) he told me he sometimes does place more pieces but usually does not equalize.

I guess the word overprotect might have a bad connotation in this context, so I'm defining it as "prudent use of more than the minimum pro that will get the job done. One benefit of such overprotection is, that you can relax and forget about pro or trusting it or anything other than the move at hand-- overprotecting can kill off some fear and allow you to more fully focus on the crus or runout.

fracture

Jan 12, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #15 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
FIrst, to answer the question about whether placing another piece for a mini anchor is anti WW principles, no it isn't. In fact, if you have the opportunity to protect a crux very well and don't, then maybe that is against ww principles.

That's not the issue I'm getting at though. The question is whether the crux was already very well protected before you spent that extra bit of energy putting in more pro. Ironically, the extra stamina wasted placing pro, could *cause* the fall. This point seems to be made several times in RWW (I don't have page numbers handy) when Arno talks about avoiding placing too much pro.

In reply to:
If you get Arno's don juan dvd, you'll see him move out under the crux roof-to face move and place several pieces, and he even says something about it if I remember right. When it costs you nothing to place a little more pro, especially after a runnout of before the crux anticipating a runout, it is wise to place more that one piece.

The issue is really about placing unneccesary pro when it does cost you something. As I mentioned earlier; if you are placing the gear from a no-hands rest or other comfortable position, it's probably a null issue.

I agree, after a long runout placing two pieces, so that your pro remains a system with backups, is the correct move. But what I'm really getting at is where people put another piece in and equalize it simply because they think a fall is likely in the next section.

For example, take a scenario where you have totally bomber pro the whole way up a nice overhanging hand crack, which has strenuous moves the whole way and a hard crux at the top. You're placing pieces often enough that there's always at least two between you and the ground. You get to the crux, and place a piece below it because you won't be able to put in pro during it. Now let's say you have 3 bomber pieces keeping you off the ground after you placed that last piece. If you put in another piece and equalize it, would you not grant that you are going against ww principles?

In reply to:
Even if you have two pieces between you and disaster as you put it, for one thing, two pieces might not be enough, I've read many accouts the go like this: "... two pieces pulled adn so-and-so died.". For another thing, if just one piece pulls, you are taking a lot longer fall than you had to.

Ok; s/two pieces/two bomber pieces/g.

And include any unacceptable fall consequences as "disaster" (i.e. hitting anything). Long falls are not by definition worse.

In reply to:
As for it assuming both pieces will pull and also that they won't pull, that is not it. The sliding x principle is that if one piece pulls, you still have some pro, but probably sind you have true dynaic equalization, the piece will not pull, and the anchor will sustain more impact than one piece would..The fact that this one piece fails problem allows maybe two feet or extension shouldn't matter because of the dynamic rope, assuming you are smart enough to no set up such a systen where an extre two feet drops you on a ledge! (OOPS!)

It's pretty well established now that the sliding-x is no good for use as the anchor masterpoint, so I'm not going to argue it again here.

The question still stands about dynamic rope eliminating the problems when you use it in the middle of the route. Maybe I should ask in another forum though...

In reply to:
Where have you seen anything about the sliding x not working as advertized?

MFOTH 7th edition page 175. "Current test data indicate that in the event of severe loading, the system essentially locks; the carabiner fails to slids on the runner and does not accomplish the intended equalization of force ....".

They do not give a reference to the "current test data" source, and I have not heard this anywhere else. And FOTH 7th does have at least some incorrect information in it (e.g. the retire all dropped gear stuff is still in there). So I don't know if this is actually true ;).

dirtineye

Jan 12, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #16 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
FIrst, to answer the question about whether placing another piece for a mini anchor is anti WW principles, no it isn't. In fact, if you have the opportunity to protect a crux very well and don't, then maybe that is against ww principles.

That's not the issue I'm getting at though. The question is whether the crux was already very well protected before you spent that extra bit of energy putting in more pro. Ironically, the extra stamina wasted placing pro, could *cause* the fall. This point seems to be made several times in RWW (I don't have page numbers handy) when Arno talks about avoiding placing too much pro.

I thought I made it clear that you can't really know what "bomber" is sometimes. We just have to go with what we think is right, based on our risk assesment. Personally I feel that if I can't afford the energy to place gear that I think is needed, then I probably shouldn't be on that climb.

In reply to:
In reply to:
If you get Arno's don juan dvd, you'll see him move out under the crux roof-to face move and place several pieces, and he even says something about it if I remember right. When it costs you nothing to place a little more pro, especially after a runnout of before the crux anticipating a runout, it is wise to place more that one piece.

The issue is really about placing unneccesary pro when it does cost you something. As I mentioned earlier; if you are placing the gear from a no-hands rest or other comfortable position, it's probably a null issue.

I agree, after a long runout placing two pieces, so that your pro remains a system with backups, is the correct move. But what I'm really getting at is where people put another piece in and equalize it simply because they think a fall is likely in the next section.

For example, take a scenario where you have totally bomber pro the whole way up a nice overhanging hand crack, which has strenuous moves the whole way and a hard crux at the top. You're placing pieces often enough that there's always at least two between you and the ground. You get to the crux, and place a piece below it because you won't be able to put in pro during it. Now let's say you have 3 bomber pieces keeping you off the ground after you placed that last piece. If you put in another piece and equalize it, would you not grant that you are going against ww principles?

I'd have to see the situation and have put in the gear myself to know the answer. IF I thought the pro was adequate I'd go on climbing, if not, I'd place more. And three pieces from the ground is not very many to me. If it makes you happy then climb on. I've watched outstanding climbers put 5 pieces in 100 feet, but I would not do that myself. I've also seen good climbers palce really poor pro, that if they had fallen on it, might not have held anything. On the other hand, I've sen rotten pro, pro that would make you puke or laugh if you saw the placement, hold a pretty big guy in a longish foot fall. If you look in the accident section, you'll find a lot of examples of pieces pulling and people getting hurt, and often it's an experienced climber on a route they had done before.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Even if you have two pieces between you and disaster as you put it, for one thing, two pieces might not be enough, I've read many accouts the go like this: "... two pieces pulled adn so-and-so died.". For another thing, if just one piece pulls, you are taking a lot longer fall than you had to.

Ok; s/two pieces/two bomber pieces/g.

And include any unacceptable fall consequences as "disaster" (i.e. hitting anything). Long falls are not by definition worse.

Actually I've said before that longer falls where you don't hit anything are better-- you have more time to react and there is more rope to act at its full dynamic capacity. A 27 foot air only fall on a good rope feels like landing on a soft cushion to me.

In reply to:
In reply to:
As for it assuming both pieces will pull and also that they won't pull, that is not it. The sliding x principle is that if one piece pulls, you still have some pro, but probably sind you have true dynaic equalization, the piece will not pull, and the anchor will sustain more impact than one piece would..The fact that this one piece fails problem allows maybe two feet or extension shouldn't matter because of the dynamic rope, assuming you are smart enough to no set up such a systen where an extre two feet drops you on a ledge! (OOPS!)

It's pretty well established now that the sliding-x is no good for use as the anchor masterpoint, so I'm not going to argue it again here.

I did not say use it as an anchor master point as in a belay anchor. Nobody advocates that as far as I know. Did you miss what I said about srene belay anchor? I am talking about two equalized pieces, which I call an anchor or mini-anchor sometimes cause it is easier to type.

In reply to:
The question still stands about dynamic rope eliminating the problems when you use it in the middle of the route. Maybe I should ask in another forum though...

More rope out is better, and more rope that is unhindered is even better than that. Rope drag has a bad effect of impact force. I don't see why you have a question about adding two feet to a fall, and if this is OK, when you are willing to have a piece pop and add maybe ten feet or more to a fall and you already are fine with that.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Where have you seen anything about the sliding x not working as advertized?

MFOTH 7th edition page 175. "Current test data indicate that in the event of severe loading, the system essentially locks; the carabiner fails to slids on the runner and does not accomplish the intended equalization of force ....".

They do not give a reference to the "current test data" source, and I have not heard this anywhere else. And FOTH 7th does have at least some incorrect information in it (e.g. the retire all dropped gear stuff is still in there). So I don't know if this is actually true ;).

ACK a new edition! I have the 6th ed.

jt512

Jan 12, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #17 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Placing extra gear from a no-hands rest costs you nothing -- so it's not really the issue. Placing extra gear that does cost you energy is the issue. If you are entering into a crux in which a fall is likely and you have any doubt about whether your piece is going to hold, then the only sane thing to do is to place more gear until you are sure it's going to hold; otherwise, back off. Now, the question is, Why aren't you sure your piece is good? One possible reason is that the piece may really not be an ideal placement; another possible reason may be that you lack experience judging placements. Either reason is reason enough to place additional pieces. However, I don't buy the argument that you can never be sure that a piece is bomber. I've climbed with 30-year climbers who didn't know how to belay and 30-year climbers who didn't know not to back clip a bolt, so it would not surprise me if there were 30-year climbers who could not place gear. If you are spending energy on backing up a piece that you judge to be bomber, then you are acting out of phantom fear.

Moderator's Note: The Sliding X discusion is interesting, but off topic. Please start a thread in the Trad forum to continue that part of the discussion.

-Jay

dirtineye

Jan 12, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #18 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, I don't buy the argument that you can never be sure that a piece is bomber.

-Jay

Nobody said never.
I did say this:

"I thought I made it clear that you can't really know what "bomber" is sometimes. We just have to go with what we think is right, based on our risk assesment."

If you've ever had a piece fail that you thought was good, the game changes a little. With a little bad luck, you only have to be wrong once to pay a big price. Sometimes our best judgement is going to be wrong, and we don't know when that will be. Haha, I'll promise that a gear pulling ground fall hones your risk assessment skill and your placement inspection skill!

Anyway, everything else you said summed it up nicely.

jt512

Jan 12, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #19 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
However, I don't buy the argument that you can never be sure that a piece is bomber.

-Jay

Nobody said never.
I did say this:

"I thought I made it clear that you can't really know what "bomber" is sometimes. We just have to go with what we think is right, based on our risk assesment."

If you've ever had a piece fail that you thought was good, the game changes a little.

I have had one piece of gear that I thought was bomber fail; however, it was my lack of knowledge/experience that led me to think a mediorcre piece was bomber. Now I know better: There ain't no bomber cams in parallel sandstone cracks. Except on hard-to-protect leads, bad rock, etc., a competent leader's placements will just about all be bomber.

In reply to:
With a little bad luck, you only have to be wrong once to pay a big price. Sometimes our best judgement is going to be wrong, and we don't know when that will be.

That's the reason that many climbers go by the "2 pieces between them and disaster" rule. I do, incidentally, even on sport climbs, which means I occasionally will stick clip the first two bolts.

-Jay

dredsovrn

Feb 3, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #20 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am new to the book (started studying it a few weeks ago), and just tried some practice falls last night. Since it has been in the teens outside in PA, I have been training in a gym.

For some reason, I found myself hesitant and distracted lately. Scared of falling? Scared of failing in front of others? I wasn't sure. Last night I warmed up on an easy route and then took three progressively longer practice falls on TR. Probably about 2', 4, and 6' respectively.

It did seem to take away some of that tentativeness and I felt very focused the rest of the night. It's hard to say if was the practice falls or the whole "way" at work, but the results were excellent.

My partner and I are going to Looking Glass in NC for few day in March. It will likely be our first opportunity to trad climb this season. We plan to take some lead falls on with a TR backup on the first day if we can find a good spot. I will have to get back to you on that one.

unabonger

Feb 4, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #21 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find a couple of things that can help relieve the fall fear tightness. Look down at your belayer, and communicate the truth: "I'm scared of falling here". It sounds a bit touchy feely, but sharing that emotion can help--you've explicitly confronted the truth, and you've gathered the support of your partner.

It can also help to just take the shortest fall possible--a couple of drops with gear right at your chest--you reduce the risks because it's short, you reduce the wear and tear on your gear and belayer, and you prove to yourself that the system works.

When it comes to big falls, I can get pretty gripped. I'm convinced that some of our reaction to this can be controlled, but a significant component of our reaction to fear is biological. Some people don't have the same reaction to danger, that's one reason that Bachar, Croft, Hersey could solo at such high levels. They just don't have the same physical response to danger that most people do.

UB

jt512

Feb 9, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #22 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When it comes to big falls, I can get pretty gripped. I'm convinced that some of our reaction to this can be controlled, but a significant component of our reaction to fear is biological.

Yesterday, I found myself climbing scared, for some reason. I thought that the best way to overcome it would be to fall a bunch. So I took a few intentional falls, including some long ones on a sport project I'm working that has a runout to the anchors. After a half-dozen falls, I took a 30-foot fall that I actually enjoyed. It had just fallen from the same spot on my previous run, so I knew what the fall was going to be like. When I came off, I allowed myself to completely relax -- not go limp, but I assumed the position that Arno is in on the cover of the book, and released the tension in my body. So, I now agree that it is possible, on at least some climbs, to be truly relaxed about falling. The question is, can I replicate this?

-Jay

unabonger

Feb 10, 2004, 3:53 PM
Post #23 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, I now agree that it is possible, on at least some climbs, to be truly relaxed about falling. The question is, can I replicate this?

I'm optimistic that we both can! I've experienced the same thing. It's a matter of realizing and reinforcing that our fear isn't really the fall--its what you might hit during or at the end, right? Do you think that because its a pretty primal sort of fear response, it takes diligent, regular efforts to counteract?

UB

dirtineye

Feb 10, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #24 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About replicating, I think the whole idea is that you practice falling until it is natural, so yes you can probably replicate it.

For me though, if I lay off falling for a while, then I have to go back and relearn some of it. The skill seems to atrophy unless you use it. Before I hurt my shoulder, I tried to get in some falling on every session. Now it's been months since I fell on rope, DOH!

jt512

Feb 10, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #25 of 37 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So, I now agree that it is possible, on at least some climbs, to be truly relaxed about falling. The question is, can I replicate this?

I'm optimistic that we both can! I've experienced the same thing. It's a matter of realizing and reinforcing that our fear isn't really the fall--its what you might hit during or at the end, right?

I am mainly afraid of flipping over in a fall or falling in a weird body position. Usually, if I'm climbing facing the wall, there is a slight overhang, and I'm not pulling outward really hard, I'm pretty carefree about climbing and not overly concerned about falling because I know what the fall is going to be like. These are falls I can handle. But how often do we sport climb in such straightforward body positions. More often than not, we are backstepping or in some other body position where we might fall in a less than optimal body position, and that's when I find myself getting scared. I worry that I'll hit the wall awkwardly and get injured. Some of this is probably reasonable fear and some isn't. I may have to take some practice falls, easing into falling form less than optimal body positions, to find out.

I also get scared on really steep climbs because I feel like I'm going to flip over backwards if I fall. I'm pretty sure that that is in my imagination, so I think that with some more experience falling off of steep routes I'll be able to get over that fear.

In reply to:
Do you think that because its a pretty primal sort of fear response, it takes diligent, regular efforts to counteract?

Yes, I'd say so. When I first started climbing, I was afraid to fall, but after a couple falls I started taking falling for granted. Then, I got injured, and afterward have had a harder time feeling relaxed about falling. So, I think it is partly an inate fear, and partly learned. Either way, I think that for most of us, to become relaxed about falling, requires falling regularly.

-Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook