Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Trad and Sport Routes in Hueco
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mother_sheep

Dec 29, 2003, 10:52 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Trad and Sport Routes in Hueco  (North_America: United_States: Texas: West_Texas: Hueco_Tanks_State_Historic_Site)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading out tomorrow for a road trip. The weather doesn't look so great in UT so my partner and I are thinking TX. We are primarily sport/trad climbers and will boulder too. Are there any descent trad/sport routes in the park? Also, are there any other areas near Hueco worth visiting? Thanks.

alpnclmbr1

Dec 29, 2003, 11:03 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad and Sport Routes in Hueco [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The main problem with hueco is going to be getting into the park. They do allow a limited number of climbers into the park in the morning on a first come first served basis, but the majority is reserved ahead of time.

Not to many trad routes, but the bolted routes are tradish enough for most people. ie full pitch 5.9 with three bolts.

Surrounding areas: Carlsbad Caverns, one of the coolest rest days possible.

For a sport climbing jewel check out Sitting Bull Falls, some of the nicest holds I have seen anywhere. It is a small area with sweet tens and up

crankenstein

Dec 29, 2003, 11:37 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't been there in about 7 years, but there is a lot of fun climbing on the front side. A lot of the climbs are bolted, but quite a few are mixed climbs requiring some gear and some bolts. I don't know much about access, but if you can get into the park don't miss Indecent Exposure, Sea of Holes, Head Fox, Window Pane, and many other quality climbs. If you go, be sure to write a trip report to let everyone know how it was!

climber_osu

Dec 29, 2003, 1:02 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we were looking at going there but the park has been all booked up. The other choices in tx are e-rock, reimers, pecos river gorge. E-rock is closed from the 4th-9th and reimers is only open thurs-sun. We have decided to just stay here in Oklahoma and go to the wichitas. There is a life time of trad and a few sport routes.

madmax

Dec 29, 2003, 1:07 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've gone to Hueco many times when it was supposedly all booked up. If I were you and there aren't too many people in your party, I'd still go. Chances are very high people make reservations for more people then are actually gonna be there and plenty of people cancel or don't show up.

As far as roping up goes, certainly do Sea of Holes and Indecent Exposure. Sea of Holes only sports seven bolts in 200+ feet, but it's only 5.9+ and the bolts are right at the few hard spots. All the rest is basically V0 jug hauling. Indecent Exposure is a little more comitting and requires a little gear, but well worth the effort.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$35.96 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)
$37.76 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook