Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

beyond_gravity

Mar 9, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #1 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

I HATE THESE SHOES
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just bought a pair of Anasazi Velcro rock shoes, and I cant even wear them for 5 mins they are so uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do to strech these out WAY more?

Rock On,
Jeremy

felixthecat

Mar 9, 2002, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

I HATE THESE SHOES [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hey jeremy,
sounds like you bought them too tight. i just purchased some myself and when i asked some friends whether i should get them tight, there repsonse was to get a size that is comfortable, not tight. reason being is that if they are too tight, when you stand on your toes they hurt like a bitch. you can see the knuckles of your toes popping up into the top of the shoe. and i am used to going kinda tight as well so getting them comfortable wasnt the most confident decision. they turned out to be fine.
anyway, answer to your ? .....anastazi velcros stretch more widthwise than lengthwise. my friend who suggested getting them comfortable, bought his too tight. he said that they will eventually break in a bit but was painful and took awhile. i dont think there is much you can do other than the other tricks of the trade like wearing them wet and things like that. but i wouldnt do that myself.

radistrad

Mar 10, 2002, 8:08 AM
Post #3 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Return them, I'd bet the sales person told you to get them tight "they'll stretch"
I say return them, and go to the manager if they give you a hard time, give them the hard time. If you purchased at REI they will honor your return. I know of persons who have returned climbing shoes to REI and they did not buy them there... to me this is not the right thing to do... to each their own.
Good luck, nothing sucks more than a $100+ pair of shoes that you cant wear for more than 5 min..... I can wear my shoes all day long...

[ This Message was edited by: radistrad on 2002-03-10 11:47 ]

sonofspork

Mar 10, 2002, 11:19 AM
Post #4 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If they are new shoes and you are into bouldering a sport climbing, either in the gym or climbing a lot outside, tight is the way to go. The more you wear them, the better they will feel. I wear size 11 street shoes and I have a pair of size 7.5 slippers. At first they hurt like hell, but now that I have worn them for about 20 hours or so, they feel much better. If you're not into gym climbing or just climbing a lot, return them because it will take too long for them to stretch out.

-sONofSpORk

climberstephen

Mar 10, 2002, 1:33 PM
Post #5 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with SonOfSpork about tight shoes. I wear about 2 sizes less than my street shoes and they hurt like hell the first 6 months I climbed in them. Here's the key to tight shoes: don't wear them when you aren't climbing.

First, you want your shoes to stretch, but not to your standing/walking foot, you want them to stretch to your climbing foot. So don't stand around in them. Second, by taking them off between climbs (I keep a pair of sandels nearby), you relieve them of excess wear and tear. Climbing shoes are expensive, so don't treat them like your approach shoes that were designed to take it. Plus, taking them off gives your foot and shoe time to breath.

In the end, tight climbing shoes will help you greatly on certian climbs, especially ones that use small foot jibs or toe pockets. For me, the last thing I do before a climb is put on my shoes with my harness on and tied in, my belayer on belay, and everything I need with me.

[ This Message was edited by: climberstephen on 2002-03-10 13:35 ]

Partner missedyno

Mar 10, 2002, 1:52 PM
Post #6 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep in mind anasazis are NOT leather, they're synthetic. don't expect a lot of stretch. though i've heard a lot of complaints from people when they first buy them.

how many sizes smaller did you buy them?

people often mistake "buying shoes two sizes smaller" for compatibility between european and north american sizing.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 10, 2002, 2:00 PM
Post #7 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once again I see what the guy who got me into climbing told me as true...

"The best part about rockclimbing is taking your shoes off."

I have Barney Rubble feet, so getting shoes that fit "well" ar a pain, no pun intended. The Anasazis did not fit me well, as I had to go 3 sizes to large just to get my foot in them. I ended up getting Ascents for Gym and Bouldering. I do Routes outdoors with lace ups. The advantage of lace ups is that you can better adjust how tight they are by lacing tighter for performance, or looser for comfort.

rrrADAM

beyond_gravity

Mar 10, 2002, 2:07 PM
Post #8 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my street shoes are size 10. My Anasazi are size 91/2. Somthing about this doesnt seem right, do 5.10's come allready downsized in proportion to street shoes or somthing? I'm going to see if I can exchange them for a size ten.

Rock On,
Jeremy

biff

Mar 10, 2002, 2:47 PM
Post #9 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Put ziplock bags with water inside your shoes, do them up nice and tight and put them in the freezer untill the water freezes and streches them.

I have heard that this works I have never tried it. I prefer just buying shoes that are tollerable in the first place.

vaness

Mar 10, 2002, 2:48 PM
Post #10 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If there only a half size small they shouldnt hurt that bad.I just say you will get use to it over time. I have a size
7 1/2 street shoe and a 5 in my climbing shoes...They hurt so bad when I first got them but now I got use to it and they dont hurt at all unless I wear them for like 7 hours.

beyond_gravity

Mar 10, 2002, 5:38 PM
Post #11 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not talking about my feet hurt at the end of the day, i'm talking about my feet hurting from walking over to the bouldering wall. I'm gonna try and return them....other wise who wants to buy a pair of 91/2 Anasazi Velcro's?

tavs

Mar 12, 2002, 9:45 AM
Post #12 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This notion that all climbing shoes must be two sizes too small is crap. I've had many different shoes, different companies, and the official size always differed, both between and within companies; the conversion between Euro and US sizes differed. BG--definitely return them, the Anasazis will stretch very little if at all. I've got a pair and the best thing about them is that because of the relative stiffness of sole and awesome edges, you can size them bigger than you would other shoes and still get the same power from them. I comfortably wore them on an all day affair, and still consider them my shoe of choice in the bouldering cave. Good luck with the return!

jt512

Mar 12, 2002, 9:59 AM
Post #13 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

What Tavs said.

If you can't return them, sell them while they're still in good shape and buy a larger size.

-Jay

theamish

Mar 12, 2002, 11:27 AM
Post #14 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once hooked up with a guy that was climbing 5.13's like I climb stairs and he was wearing the same size climbing shoes as his street shoes. I've adopted his theory. "If your feet hurt like hell you can't concentrate on your climbing, your feet will not shrink to your shoes, your shoes will stretch to fit your feet so why not buy them to fit from the start". I climb better since my feet don't hurt.

howitzer

Mar 12, 2002, 11:49 AM
Post #15 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the SAME problem with my anasazi's when I got them, and about 5 climbs later I am totally in love with how well they grip and feel. I actually bought 1 size small (my old shoes were that small), and had to return them to 5.10 after one gym climb because they hurt so bad. 5.10 does advertise the fact that these DO NOT stretch much if at all becuase they are synthetic. But I sent them back, warranty checked them, they sent me a new size and I'm happy as a velcro slipper They definately are not the show for everyone, though, as I have friends who couldn't stand theirs. Mine are great - I wear them a just about my street shoe size and they are snug and good. If you cannot return them, talk to 5.10 about the problem like I did - they are very understanding about this issue, it seems to me. You can get an email to customer service for returns at their website.

dontneedfeet

Mar 12, 2002, 2:30 PM
Post #16 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beyond_Gravity - 5.10 actually does make the shoe smaller than the size they advertise. The reason they do this is because a lot of newbies like shoes that are way loose and according to 5.10, you don't get much benefit from the shoe that way. As far as I know, they're the only company to do that...

brogan

Mar 12, 2002, 2:45 PM
Post #17 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The belt sander is the way to go. Sand down the midsole to almost nothing and wear them for 10 more hours. I know about this problem and I know how to fix it.

beyond_gravity

Mar 12, 2002, 4:35 PM
Post #18 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brogan, i think your missing the point. Why wreak my shoes, then pay $50 to resole them, when I could sell them, and pay an extra $50 and get new ones? i'm bringing them in tomorrow.

Rock On,
Beyond_gravity

climbingaddict

Mar 15, 2002, 10:51 AM
Post #19 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

man, anasazi velcro's are very comfortable.. what are you talking about?? maybe you got the wrong size..

jcclimber

Mar 18, 2002, 10:22 AM
Post #20 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I happen to be a huge fan of the Anasazi, and I will say that it is my only shoe for bouldering, and sport climbing. I have had several pairs of these shoes, all of which have taken form to my foot, and slightly stretched, but not enough to notice unless you live in your shoes like I. Personally, uncomfortable is comfortable to me, I like it when they are so tight that they hurt a little. However, if you do not like this, you will not like your anasazi's. They will take the shape of you foot a bit, but they will not stretch out to a comfortable size! I suggest taking them back too. The sales guy who told you that they would stretch, is an idiot, and I would suggest to him that he put on a pair, and wear them for a few hours every day for a year, and then see how much they stretched!

jake out

beyond_gravity

Mar 18, 2002, 6:23 PM
Post #21 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I returned the shoes and got me $$$ back...now what to spend it on

Rock On,
Jeremy

andrewokc

Mar 18, 2002, 6:47 PM
Post #22 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beyondgravity, i think you just made a big mistake, and im sorry i didnt get to this topic sooner.

see, the anasizi velcros are the most badass shoe ever produced. i wear a 10.5 or 11 street shoe and bought a size ten anasazi velcros (yeah the sizing down seems small but five tens system is wack its sort of compensates but then doesnt) but what my point is man, that pain will go away, put the shoes on when your doing something that will take your mind off the pain like sitting at the compurter right now talking to people. thats what i did for a week and the pain did not cease completely but went away somewhat.

then i freakin puller harder than i had ever pulled, all thanks to the anasazis my man.

i say if the shoe can get on the foot then climb. they will stretch you must have PATIENCE. not its a damn shame you didnt keep the shoes, just think you could be friggin pulling the f--- down right now, but you had to resort to a 'comfy' shoe. sorry man. i say go back and get those shoes back and PULL.

imdone. andrew

beyond_gravity

Mar 18, 2002, 7:00 PM
Post #23 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh well, i dont really need new shoes anyway. I saw the crazist thing yesturday, some guy was trying to get his shoes on, he had two quickdraws clipped to the loops and he was scarming, he looked like a loud freak!! oh well, he was ripping apart the gym! but it looked more painful then a dick up your ass!

Rock On,
Jeremy

bishop

Mar 21, 2002, 10:10 AM
Post #24 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand you people... I have a pair of Anasazi's and there great. I have size 8.5 street shoes and size 6 Anasazi's. The only complaint I have is now after 3 months they smell like hell. My suggestion to you would be to get a pair of Boreal Zen's. I have two pairs of them and there the best shoe I've ever used in the gym. 8.5 street and 5.5 Zen's. For me lace-up is the only way to go for outside.

spank_spank

Mar 21, 2002, 10:48 AM
Post #25 of 37 (8089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a shower with the shoes and then blow dry them, while they are on your feet. This should stretch them a little bit.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook