danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #1 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Why Marijuana Should Be Illegal
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marijuana
Usually smoked as a cigarette or joint, or in a pipe or bong, marijuana has appeared in "blunts" in recent years. These are cigars that have been emptied of tobacco and re-filled with marijuana, sometimes in combination with another drug, such as crack. Some users also mix marijuana into foods or use it to brew tea.

The main active chemical in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). Short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem-solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate, anxiety, and panic attacks.

Health Hazards

Effects of Marijuana on the Brain. Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is acted on by the hippocampus. This is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that THC suppresses neurons in the information-processing system of the hippocampus. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate.

Effects on the Lungs. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers have. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. Continuing to smoke marijuana can lead to abnormal functioning of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke.

Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. This may be due to marijuana users inhaling more deeply and holding the smoke in the lungs.

Effects of Marijuana Use during Pregnancy. Research has shown that babies born to women who used marijuana during their pregnancies display altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which may indicate problems with neurological development. During infancy and preschool years, marijuana-exposed children have been observed to have more behavioral problems and to perform tasks of visual perception, language comprehension, sustained attention, and memory more poorly than nonexposed children do. In school, these children are more likely to exhibit deficits in decision-making skills, memory, and the ability to remain attentive.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior. A study of college students has shown that critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily, even after discontinuing its use for at least 24 hours. Researchers compared 65 "heavy users," who had smoked marijuana a median of 29 of the past 30 days, and 64 "light users," who had smoked a median of 1 of the past 30 days. After a closely monitored 19- to 24-hour period of abstinence from marijuana and other illicit drugs and alcohol, the undergraduates were given several standard tests measuring aspects of attention, memory, and learning. Compared to the light users, heavy marijuana users made more errors and had more difficulty sustaining attention, shifting attention to meet the demands of changes in the environment, and in registering, processing, and using information. The findings suggest that the greater impairment among heavy users is likely due to an alteration of brain activity produced by marijuana.
Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

madriver

Dec 30, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #2 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why Marijuana Should Be Illegal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...I'll cut and paste the effects of alcohol report....but it won't fit in this forum.... 8)

meataxe

Dec 30, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #3 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I'll cut and paste the effects of alcohol report....but it won't fit in this forum.... 8)

I could just name the casualties of alcohol that I know personally :(

shakylegs

Dec 30, 2003, 3:42 PM
Post #4 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Single-minded stupidity should be made illegal as well, but it’s never stopped you. Now where’s my almanac?

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #5 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Single-minded stupidity should be made illegal as well, but it’s never stopped you. Now where’s my almanac?

Redeem yourself, shaky. Tell me you are only 15 years old.

bluto

Dec 30, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The war on drugs is a dismal failure, and a huge waste of taxes and resources. I can speak from personal experience, that in my teens, marijuana was easier to obtain than alcohol.
We can demonize particular substances, while accepting others, it's all rather hypocritical and arbitrary.

One also needs to look at the hidden costs of the war on drugs. The illegalization of drugs has had numerous and far reaching consequences on our country. Due to the immense profits available, street gangs have been transformed from petty minders of neighborhood turf, to large violent organizations with millions of dollars at their disposal. These profits are in turn channeled into buying off judges, law enforcement officials and politicians.

One also needs to look at the immense amount of crime that is perpetrated by users to support their habits. Car break ins, home burglaries, muggings etc. We all pay through higher insurance rates, and the costs to incarcerate these individuals. Alcoholics rarely have to resort to crime to support their habits, while drug users must resort to crime due to the inflated prices brought on by illegality.

No one wins in this war, other than the cartels of Mexico, South America, etc. that import the product. No one who truly seeks these substances is being deterred by our present laws and efforts. Some sane logical approach to legalization and treatment needs to be explored.

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #7 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Google search:"Crimes involving marijuana"

Result: 47300 pages

Time elapsed for search: 20/100's of a second.

madriver

Dec 30, 2003, 3:54 PM
Post #8 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bluto wrote:

In reply to:
One also needs to look at the hidden costs of the war on drugs. The illegalization of drugs has had numerous and far reaching consequences on our country. Due to the immense profits available, street gangs have been transformed from petty minders of neighborhood turf, to large violent organizations with millions of dollars at their disposal. These profits are in turn channeled into buying off judges, law enforcement officials and politicians.

...so would legalization resolve your hypothesis?

shakylegs

Dec 30, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #9 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crimes involving guns: 82,800, Search took 0.24 seconds.
Your point is?

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #10 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...so would legalization resolve your hypothesis?

Ahh, intelligent discourse.

Excellent question.

madriver

Dec 30, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #11 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ahh, intelligent discourse.

...dis of course is the point...

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #12 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your point is?

Are you now somehow motivated to carry on a civil conversation on the subject?

Get your meds straight asshole.

madriver

Dec 30, 2003, 4:03 PM
Post #13 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bluto wrote:

In reply to:
One also needs to look at the immense amount of crime that is perpetrated by users to support their habits. Car break ins, home burglaries, muggings etc. We all pay through higher insurance rates, and the costs to incarcerate these individuals. Alcoholics rarely have to resort to crime to support their habits, while drug users must resort to crime due to the inflated prices brought on by illegality.

...addmittingly I am well insulated from your gang related crime epidemic...most of the people I know that still indulge in drug use are pullin down six figure plus salaries...not your average homeless crime druggie...and are not dependant upon home invasion or car jacking to support recreational use...

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 4:03 PM
Post #14 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twelve Questions

Has smoking pot stopped being fun?
Do you ever get high alone?
Is it hard for you to imagine a life without marijuana?
Do you find that your friends are determined by your marijuana use?
Do you smoke marijuana to avoid dealing with your problems?
Do you smoke pot to cope with your feelings?
Does your marijuana use let you live in a privately defined world?
Have you ever failed to keep promises you made about cutting down or controlling your dope smoking?
Has your use of marijuana caused problems with memory, concentration, or motivation?
When your stash is nearly empty, do you feel anxious or worried about how to get more?
Do you plan your life around your marijuana use?
Have friends or relatives ever complained that your pot smoking is damaging your relationship with them?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you may have a problem with marijuana.

madriver

Dec 30, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #15 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...replace the word marijuna with alcohol and you will be describing a problem...

shakylegs

Dec 30, 2003, 4:07 PM
Post #16 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Civil conversation? Asshole?
Perhaps, with the inhalation of mucho marijuana, I might eventually come around to your convoluted way of thinking, but I highly doubt it. And that is a good thing.

Now, follow along, and stop me if things get too complicated, okay? You quote a google search that describes the amount of crimes that involved marijuana. Me, enjoying didactic debate, retort with the google search results of crimes involving guns. This makes me an asshole? Oooookay. Backing away slowly here.
As to getting my meds straight? Trust me, I know them by heart: (morning) 5 mg Prednisone, 2.5 mg Prograf; (evening) 10 mg Imuran, 2 mg Prograf. Use your little Google to figure it out.

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #17 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Me, enjoying didactic debate, retort with the google search results of crimes involving drugs. This makes me an asshole?

No, entering the thread with an insult makes you an asshole, asshole.

Partner macherry

Post #18 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, couldn't get through your study results, short term memory shot, can't pay attention :wink:

I need a beer!

atg200

Post #19 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on the contrary danooguy, this is an excellent point which shows why your statistic is irrelevant.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Your point is?

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 4:12 PM
Post #20 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
on the contrary danooguy, this is an excellent point which shows why your statistic is irrelevant.

I agree that it partially refutes the idea that marijuana use creates crime...

However, one could argue that a large percentage of the crimes involving guns are caused by drug trafficking and perhaps marijuana. Further since marijuana is probably one of the most abused drugs, how many of those guns crimes are directly related to pot?

danooguy

Dec 30, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #21 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry, couldn't get through your study results, short term memory shot, can't pay attention

What study res.....oh, never mind. :D

bumblie

Dec 30, 2003, 4:17 PM
Post #22 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In reply to:
In reply to:
Your point is?

Right up there with justifying doing something wrong because everybody else was doing it. :roll:

I think it's called circular logic.

bluto

Dec 30, 2003, 4:19 PM
Post #23 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Legalization would certainly dramatically reduce the amount of crime and corruption related to the production and distribution of drugs. One only needs to look and our nations experiment with prohibition of alcohol to see this scenario.

One also needs to accept that a certain percent of the population will engage in substance abuse, regardless of the laws in place. Those who aren't prone to break the law quickly turn to legal substances such as alcohol, paint thinner, model airplane glue, fast food, chocolate, or whatever.. Making certain substabces illegal treats the symptom, rather than the underlying problem. Ask yourself how much treatment and counseling could be made available to the general population for the price we pay to enforce our drug laws.

atg200

Dec 30, 2003, 4:20 PM
Post #24 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure danooguy, but now we are entering the realm of wild ass speculation and non sequiter. for instance, how many of the marijuana related crimes would not have ended in fatalities if guns were outlawed? the answer is that we have no idea, and posing the question is likely to produce lots of resentment in people who disagree and righteous smugness in the people who do agree. i try to avoid loaded questions like these when debating.

to make a good argument, i'd like to see what the ratios are between violence and volume of use between alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, and heroine. my guess is marijuana will be the lowest of the four, but this is a gut feeling. i imagine there is more violence in the growing and distribution of pot, but very little violence during use. i imagine there is very little during the making and distributing of alcohol, but a large amount of violence during use. cocaine and heroine probably follow a model somewhat in between, but with higher percentages all around. all in all, if my hypotheses are correct, which may or may not be the case, that would be a good argument to legalize the growing and distribution of marijuana.

madriver

Dec 30, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #25 of 165 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...one word...

"Traffic"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)