Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
computer people who climb, common injuries?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jdtschida

Mar 8, 2002, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

computer people who climb, common injuries?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a web developer, programmer, technician, and almost anything else related to computers. I have heard plenty of people tell me that typing causes tendeon problems, but I maintain that these people already had problems prior to becoming a computer professional. I have personally felt some of these problems/pains, but only when I type a lot, like a long report or something, maybe I don't type enough for consistent pain. Are there other computer people on this forum who have issues with typing injuries, and how would they relate to climbing injuries? same area of pain, length of time it lasts for, etc.?

And how about hurting a finger climbing. did it make your computer work harder? The few times I have blown a tendon climbing it caused lots of side-to-side pain, but just taping it up before typing helped a lot. (coworkers look at me funny sometimes..)

I don't want some generic explination of tendeonitis... Just what other computer people who climb have to say about their experiences.

atg200

Mar 8, 2002, 4:00 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

computer people who climb, common injuries? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i can type awfully fast using the hunt and peck method, so that is generally what i do. i already had tendinitis problems before getting in to the computer racket, so i've had years of practice working around tendon injuries.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 8, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've played the piano for 15 years. If pounding on the keys and a blistering pace hasn't broken me down, I don't think typing will.

I bet my fingers will fall off by 40.

froggy

Mar 8, 2002, 4:24 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do everything with my hands, from computer work all day to playing bass guitar, to climbing.. As long as you sit correctly at your desk and learn the right technique for everything you should be fine.
***Also, remember to take breaks when things don't feel right, it might suck but it helps!

linsdog

Mar 8, 2002, 4:42 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I program all day as well as climb when I am not at work. So far I haven't had any problems with tendons or joints (Other than climbing injuries). But I do know several people that have gotten tendinitis from computer/typewriter useage. They are mostly people that do nothing but type all day. Has to do with the same wrist/hand position and repetitive motion I think.

xen_monkey

Mar 8, 2002, 7:37 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Six months ago I hurt my hand climbing. The docter said it was just some minor soft tisue damage. For three months I had to tape my hand when I climbed. Typing only hurt when I reached for certain keys, though I'm sure it didn't help my recovery time. Any soft tisue injury in the hand is bad, only because it takes forever to heal, unless it can be imobalised, like when you snap a tenden, (even that takes six or more weeks to heal). Thank god when that happened I didn't need surgery. I f it snapped 1/4 inch higher up my finger they would have had to remove the extra tendon form my pinky (or is the extra tendon on the ring finger) a splice it on my index finger.

andy_lemon

Mar 8, 2002, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While sitting at the computer, I've fallen out of my chair before... That is my most common typing injury.

socialclimber

Mar 8, 2002, 11:27 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Computer related injuries while climbing. Hmmm...Well, I really hate it when my software gets scrunched by the leg loop of my harness. Sometimes I have to reconfigure my software several times before its comfortable. by then I usually have some problems with my hard-drive expanding by it self. Don't even get me started on viruses...

Partner coldclimb

Mar 9, 2002, 12:12 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My only problems with computers have been sore knuckles after doing graphics work for over an hour with my hand constantly on the mouse. It hurst for a bit from just being cramped, but after a bit of other work it loosens up.

miagi

Mar 9, 2002, 10:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well any finger injury will decrease your typing ability. But come on now, tendon problems from typing???!!! They might get sore but i doubt your going to have tendonitis or extreme pain. Your really not subjecting your fingers to any major forces...just up and down motions. Probably these people have arthritus or another injury

gunkjunkie

Mar 9, 2002, 11:14 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sitting at the wrong height can give you problem with the tendons in your elbows. I spend 6-10 hours a day 6 days a week in front of a computer. I just had to lower my desk 4 inches due to tendonitis. Sitting improperly can also lead to back, neck pain etc. I guess the key is to find the ergonomically correct position and to take your OSHA mandated 10 minute break every 2 hours (ya - right - what break??).

Deirdre

crackaddict

Mar 10, 2002, 3:31 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a computer person. But I get butt sprain from being on here and not climbing!

xen_monkey

Mar 10, 2002, 3:25 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb - If mousing too much during graphics work jard on your hands. I suggest getting a tablet, I won't work in photshop with out it. I do find its a little too jumpy for illustrator and quark work. Plus it doesn't hurt your finger tips if they're tenfer from a good climbving session.

dogleg

Mar 10, 2002, 7:52 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had a climbing-related chronic overuse injury. Before beginning a career in the computer industry, I built scaffolds for a living - very hand intensive. Again, no chronic pain. But after working on computers for a couple of years, I've experienced pain in the elbows, forearms and wrists while typing and mousing. I've been lucky that the pain only occurs during computer work - no pain occurs while climbing.

I've taken several steps to reduce the pain. First, I've nearly eliminated the use of the mouse by using keyboard shortcuts. Second, correct ergonomic positioning, and finally switching to the Dvorak keyboard layout. Of everything I've tried, killing the mouse was the most beneficial.

As for working with finger injuries, I tweaked a ligament about 7 months ago and had to tape my ring and pinky fingers together for 4 months. My typing style quickly adapted so it was never a hindrance to my work. Also, working did not seem to hinder my recovery.

[ This Message was edited by: dogleg on 2002-03-10 11:56 ]

Partner missedyno

Mar 10, 2002, 9:59 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i'm a climber, and in my other life, i work tech support.

so i can have the opportunity to spend 7-10 hours in front of a computer a day. i have had pain and weakness in my arms for almost 6 months now.... i can't figure out if it's from climbing or work....

of course my doctor, when he knows i climb, blames everything on that, but now taking a break i feel the same pain just at work.

i guess we REALLY have to concentrate on ergonomics at work....

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook