Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Priorities...[Tennessee & Kentucky visit]
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

treehugger

Dec 16, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Priorities...[Tennessee & Kentucky visit]  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The lady and I will be passing through Kentucky and Tennessee in March and plan on spending a week or so doing some climbing, mostly Sport.

We obviously will be heading to Red River, but since we will be starting in Tennessee we were thinking about also spending some time in Foster Falls.

Question: Supposing we have 6 days, any suggestions on how much time to spend where? We plan on climbing 5.10 and under, and are more interested in good lines/exposure/scenery than anything.

mrmojorisin

Dec 16, 2003, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Re: Priorities... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I you are heading to the Red for a couple of days the area that seems to have the most climbs 5.10 and under is Road side. Its the only area as far as I know that has a couple of 5.7s through 5.9 actually bolted. There are also many really nice 5.10+ routs there as well. one of my favorite climbs is here I think its called Pulling Pockets. The Road Side area is great because its close to Miguel's and the approach is easy.

Also the Military Wall has some excellent climbs rated around 5.9 5.10 and if you are feeling confident there is a fat 5.11c called Fuzzy Undercling that is just amazing. The Red is a great place I plan on going there for spring break this year, have fun. Need any other beta PM me.

whiteflash

Dec 16, 2003, 5:33 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't speak for the red, but Foster Falls is mostly 5.10+. I can remember about 8 or 9 5.10's off the top of my head. A few lower level bolted routes are around and the rest of the 5.9 and under crowd is trad climbing. Scenery is really nice in that area however. No huge mountain views though. The main falls, and then the trail following the creek. Really nice mountain stream and forest. Probably a good day crag for what ya'll want. Hope this helps.

Partner holdplease2

Dec 16, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phantasia Wall: Creature feature, a fun 5.9 plus one move wonder, very close to the road. A schweet 10b all the way to the end on the left, slabby and balancy, several 7-10b climbs, including the classic 10b, pogue ethics.

Roadside Attraction: Plenty of 5.8 thru 5.10, plenty of overhanging juggy stuff.

Military Wall and Left Flank use the same parking area and are only 20 minutes apart. At military you can find 3 5.9s and 3 5.10s including the classic overhanging 9s called sunshine and moonbeam and the great slab route Possum Lips (10b-d depending) Left Flank includes to defy the laws of tradition at 5.10a and maypop, a do-able 11.a, and Brother Stair, a 9. Between these two places you should find plenty of action.

These are 4 of my favorites in that range.

Enjoy!

-Kate.

jdean

Dec 16, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also don't forget Global Village and Emerald City (collectively known as Lady Slipper). They have some nice bolted 5.10's.

Matt

treehugger

Jan 2, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the beta guys. :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook